Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrabbyJo

St Thomas vs St Johns - First time there

Hi -

We have 8 hours in St Thomas, our first time there.  There are 3 large ships in port(lots of people- so crowds a concern), and we have 2 kids - tweenagers.  Is it worth it to try to get to St Johns - Trunk Bay - or should we stay in St Thomas and head to Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach for snorkeling?  Been searching the boards and these appear to be highly recommended (as well as the inflatable noodles - ordering some!) 

Also looking at a sail boat excursion to Christmas & Honeymoon coves (full day excursion).  Any thoughts welcome!

A day sail is the best way to avoid the crowds, thou though Honeymoon Beach can get crowded because many boats go there.

You might want to try this place because it offers active beach experience and is not too far from the cruise docks. There's a hotel a few steps away where you can get food and drinks and use the restroom.

https://www.jetskivi.com

My first time on St. Thomas I would do either Sapphire Beach or Trunk Bay, forget Coki. 

If you think you get can your crew going early it is definitely worth the trip to Trunk Bay. 

If it were me I would do Trunk on my own, have fun whichever you decide.

If snorkeling is to be part of your day a good day sail is the ultimate choice. Not only do you avoid fellow cruise mates, but you are able to snorkel the prime spots.

if you decide to stay on land, for off-the-beach snorkeling I would recommend Sapphire. If you want a busier vibe with more people in the water then Coki. Would not recommend going all the way to Trunk Bay on STJ for snorkeling as it is not as good. There are excellent snorkeling spots on STJ, but you would need a driver to drop you and pick you up unless you are with someone familiar with Waterlemon or other spots.

We’re not avid snorkelers and just enjoy a nice beach and would head to Sapphire, but for the best snorkeling a day sail also makes sense!

Enjoy your first visit!

Have not been out on the Independence or Catania but both are recommended by others...

Edited by blue_water

We did the St. John's Champagne and Snorkel. (Catamaran).  It was a decent excursion, but we were only at the beach for about an hour.

I went because I heard that St. John is so beautiful...and it is.  I think if I went back on that cruise again, I would do something on St. Thomas...and do it with a reliable private tour.  (We were at port at St. Thomas around 8.  Our tour to St. John didn't go out until about 11:45.  In essence, we wasted a good three hours while in St. Thomas).

The USVI and British VI are relatively close together.  It's a shame that a ship can't be at port at St. Thomas or Tortola and be there for two days or so.  [Bermuda cruises, for instance, are at port for over 2 days.  It's so nice not having to worry about the clock. ... But then, I don't make the rules].