Jump to content

Starting to think booking on Equinox was a mistake


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Recently off Equinox...Yes, the Revolution was not completed but the guests most affected are those who were booked in the suites that never happened and the suite guests which have a deck which is without a water feature. For most guests the ship is simply ‘refreshed’.

 

It is a great ship in good shape with lots lots of opportunities for activities and entertainment but with lots of places to just chill and relax if you don’t want/need to be entertained. A great place to enjoy the festive season...

 

We dined every evening in Murano’s or Tuscan other than one visit to see LPC and friends which is worth a visit...go expecting to giggle like an 8 year old and you will thoroughly enjoy. Not fine dining but definitely fun dining...Marco and Marco  in Tuscan and Murano’s (yes very confusing) were great M’Ds and really looked after their ‘regulars’...If you can book in you will enjoy really good food and excellent service...

 

I would expect the ‘special’ nights to be at a premium but others should be standard price...Why not just choose ‘Select’ dining and then negotiate on board for a package deal/discounts for other nights? If they are not available or only available at a high price then will it spoil your vacation? An alternative could be to upgrade to a suite and have the option of Luminae... 

 

We never cruise or hotel vacation at Christmas or New Year, mainly because we want to be at home but also because we are aware ‘premium’ prices do seem to effect everything from the prices charged for cruises to the prices charged in restaurants to the cost of taxis...If you were vacationing anywhere in the world on those dates I think you would need to expect some upcharges...

 

Strongly suggest you do some serious homework...If you board feeling ‘bitter’ and ‘nickel and dimed’ it will tarnish your full vacation experience...Phone if necessary to confirm the price of dining packages pre booked, look at the cost of cancelling and booking another cruise/holiday...Only if you board feeling that cost=experience will you be happy...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I always give my office staff off Christmas week so I am committed to sail then. We almost always do a Caribbean cruise that week because we live in Florida and it is convenient. I have sailed Princess, HAL, Oceania and Celebrity many times over that week and have never experienced any additional upcharge in Specialty restaurants before on any line including Celebrity. Yes, the cost of the cruise is much more than other weeks but as I said I have no choice when I sail. I intend on having a good time but I am expressing my opinion and think Celebrity is wrong to do this

Edited by Travrat
Link to post
Share on other sites

We just returned from a 10 day cruise on Equinox, we were in Aqua so Blu was our dining room.  I can honestly say the food, with the exception of 1 appetizer was wonderful.  In addition we purchased a 3 pkg specialty dining for Murano, Tuscan Grill and Qsine.  We enjoyed each of them but I do miss the old Qsine. Le Petite Chef was entertaining and the  food was very good but I think its a one and done. After all how many times do you want to see the same thing.  I miss the variety of foods that were available in Qsine, we always went to dinner there at least once on every cruise and I do wonder how many people will be repeat customers in the new concept.  Hope you have a great cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mickey22 said:

We just returned from a 10 day cruise on Equinox, we were in Aqua so Blu was our dining room.  I can honestly say the food, with the exception of 1 appetizer was wonderful.  In addition we purchased a 3 pkg specialty dining for Murano, Tuscan Grill and Qsine.  We enjoyed each of them but I do miss the old Qsine. Le Petite Chef was entertaining and the  food was very good but I think its a one and done. After all how many times do you want to see the same thing.  I miss the variety of foods that were available in Qsine, we always went to dinner there at least once on every cruise and I do wonder how many people will be repeat customers in the new concept.  Hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks, I think I will enjoy my cruise in spite of thinking Celebrity's "Attitude" has changed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Travrat said:

I am currently booked on the Dec 21 sailing on the Equinox. This will be my 4th Celebrity cruise but I have not sailed with them in at least 4 years. We cruise often but recently have sailed on HAL, Oceania and Crystal. Reading all the reviews and changes that are taking place makes me think that Celebrity is underhanded and nickel and diming it's guests. We decided not to do Aqua Class this trip as we prefer to get a cabin with a larger balcony and dine in the specialty restaurants for the same price as Aqua class. The Celebrity website gives very little info on Specialty restaurants on Equinox including not mentioning the cost of them. I tried to find prices on the web and it seemed that there was a $35-$50 up charge for Tuscan Grill and Murano. In fact until I was booked I could not see the price and nearly flipped out to see that it would be 

$119/pp to dine on Christmas Eve and 

$70/pp to dine on any other night during this cruise. I am sorry but there is no way that Murano or Tuscan Grill is worth that up charge! That's $1080 extra for the week. For that price I could have stayed in a suite or sailed on Oceania where the food is far superior to anything I have ever had on a Celebrity ship! Then there is the Classic Beverage Package "perk" which only allows you to have $9 drinks of which there are very few choices. Now I am reading that you can't have a martini at the Martini Bar if you have that package even though my vodka of choice is Tito's which is included in that package. This is pure absurdity and total discrimination! I read about upcharging $1 for Bailey's in a drink- talk about nickel and diming!!! Then they advertise about the "Revolutionizing" of the Equinox and I read that this was in fact not completed. This is all very upsetting to learn about and quite frankly falls into the category of non- disclosure and false advertising. Also, I was very disappointed to see they turned Qsine into a restaurant that may appeal to an 8 year old child but hardly to someone who is looking for an upscale dining venue that Celebrity used to be known for. I am trying to be positive about my upcoming cruise but all of these things have certainly dampened my enthusiasm

I doubt that you could stay in suite class for a holiday cruise for less than your room fare + specialty dining for the cruise.

We did do 10 days in concierge and dined in specialty dining 8 of 10 nights for less than Aqua.... by a couple hundred.. but for suite class, Doubtful. If that was the case, then you should book suite class with the 4 perks etc...

Because adding the internet, OBC bev package etc and grats... I'd be interested to see your numbers to do that for suite class...let alone a holiday

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Travrat said:

I said it was discrimination to not allow people to drink at a bar because they don't have a premium drink package or to not serve them in a regular sized glass when they order a martini at the Martini Bar.

 

 

This may or may not be helpful as we’ve not been on Equinox but when we sailed Eclipse we had drinks at the martini bar every night with the classic package and never ordered a martini- for 12 nights. I see where you’d be angered by what you’ve heard but wanted to hopefully offer comfort in that was NOT the case on another ship. 

 

Edited to add that I drank other vodka drinks with Tito’s at the martini bar with no upcharge or issue.

Edited by njmelis24
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njmelis24 said:

This may or may not be helpful as we’ve not been on Equinox but when we sailed Eclipse we had drinks at the martini bar every night with the classic package and never ordered a martini- for 12 nights. I see where you’d be angered by what you’ve heard but wanted to hopefully offer comfort in that was NOT the case on another ship. 

Thanks for the info. I like Tito's and cranberry shaken and served up like a martini- I guess I can bring my own martini glass with me

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Whoa. Thanks for the heads up about Christmas specialty dining charges. Planning to cruise over Christmas and NYE in 2020 so will check on that as soon as they show up in the Cruise Planner. 

I am going to call Celebrity dining reservations tomorrow to find out more info- if you remind me tomorrow I will post more info

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Travrat said:

I am going to call Celebrity dining reservations tomorrow to find out more info- if you remind me tomorrow I will post more info

My recollection is that you could dine in Tuscan for the usual price.  Muranos had the special menu at cost.  I would call to verify.  It may have changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Travrat said:

Now I am reading that you can't have a martini at the Martini Bar if you have that package even though my vodka of choice is Tito's which is included in that package. This is pure absurdity and total discrimination!

I completely understand how you might think this is absurd, but there is no discrimination involved. You can certainly have a martini at the Martini Bar, but you will be charged for the vodka of choice if it's more than your beverage package allows. I don't think the bar tenders shoo passengers away based on the color of their sea pass or the type of beverage package. Simply ask for the vodka of your choice and expect to pay more. Or, better yet, upgrade to the premium package, if you wish and you will get pretty much any vodka on the shelf at no extra cost.

 

I don't think there is any legal expectation that any cruise line posts additional charges of specialty restaurants ahead of a cruise, but apparently there is a way to find out. That said, were I you I would probably move to another cruise line for your next cruise and then report back to us on the differences, if you care to.

 

Make the very best of taking a cruise and being pampered. It's always better than a really good day at work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

I doubt that you could stay in suite class for a holiday cruise for less than your room fare + specialty dining for the cruise.

We did do 10 days in concierge and dined in specialty dining 8 of 10 nights for less than Aqua.... by a couple hundred.. but for suite class, Doubtful. If that was the case, then you should book suite class with the 4 perks etc...

Because adding the internet, OBC bev package etc and grats... I'd be interested to see your numbers to do that for suite class...let alone a holiday

 

 

Difficult to do this now as supply and demand changed the price from when I booked. I did get all 4 perks as gratuities were included from travel agent and chose three. Can't remember but I think they only offer Classic Beverage package as a perk. Looks like if you got the package as a perk you can't upgrade to premium for $12/ day

as people say they have and if you book or modify after 10/10 they charge $14+tax

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I completely understand how you might think this is absurd, but there is no discrimination involved. You can certainly have a martini at the Martini Bar, but you will be charged for the vodka of choice if it's more than your beverage package allows. I don't think the bar tenders shoo passengers away based on the color of their sea pass or the type of beverage package. Simply ask for the vodka of your choice and expect to pay more. Or, better yet, upgrade to the premium package, if you wish and you will get pretty much any vodka on the shelf at no extra cost.

 

I don't think there is any legal expectation that any cruise line posts additional charges of specialty restaurants ahead of a cruise, but apparently there is a way to find out. That said, were I you I would probably move to another cruise line for your next cruise and then report back to us on the differences, if you care to.

 

Make the very best of taking a cruise and being pampered. It's always better than a really good day at work.

Tito's is my vodka of choice and it is included on the Classic Package

I still think they will only give you a small glass not a standard size martini glass- I sailed Celebrity 4 years ago and vaguely remember this being true! I do think if they had disclosed the up charge on specialty restaurants on this cruise prior to booking I would have upgraded to Aqua class or looked at another line at the time. Since they DO NOT have the price of any specialty restaurants on their website they can charge ridiculous prices on any sailing they choose to and I think this is not right

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been on the Equinox two times and going on her again in November on a b2b. She is beautiful and we have a lovely time sailing on her. We have been to the martini bar several times and I enjoy my wine there and my husband his scotch, have a wonderful cruise 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Travrat said:

I still think they will only give you a small glass not a standard size martini glass-

 

I'm intrigued by this. I will very carefully watch others at the Martini Bar on our next cruise and see if there is a difference in glasses used. I have never paid attention, but will do so. Perhaps someone aboard Equinox now or the near future will share that with us. I get the feeling you would be okay with Tito in a regular martini glass, yes? Also, do you do a $1 tip per martini? We do that and the staff will pour whatever you want without question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cnkgirl said:

We have been on the Equinox two times and going on her again in November on a b2b. She is beautiful and we have a lovely time sailing on her. We have been to the martini bar several times and I enjoy my wine there and my husband his scotch, have a wonderful cruise 😎

Thank you! I sailed on her a few years back as well and enjoyed my cruise. Went on Reflection 4 years ago and liked it as well. I like to switch cruise lines from time to time to avoid boredom- same menus, same shows, etc. However, I seem to see there is a change to the entire "vibe" on Celebrity since my last sailing and feel that  instead of charging what they think the cruise fare should be they charge less and add "perks" that they then try to make up in revenue by charging guests onboard for $1 here and $4 there. I'm sorry but I don't like it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

 

I'm intrigued by this. I will very carefully watch others at the Martini Bar on our next cruise and see if there is a difference in glasses used. I have never paid attention, but will do so. Perhaps someone aboard Equinox now or the near future will share that with us. I get the feeling you would be okay with Tito in a regular martini glass, yes? Also, do you do a $1 tip per martini? We do that and the staff will pour whatever you want without question.

I don't mind tipping the bartender $20 for the week for my one martini I drink/ day  if they initially will make me my drink without charging me extra or putting it in a small martini glass. I have heard people say that they will not make you a martini at the Martini bar because they don't have the small glasses there😱

Edited by Travrat
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m guessing there will be deals on board...maybe not Christmas Eve....was just on Equinox..had a blast..great ship. 

I was just on the Equinox a couple weeks ago and loved it also. One of the best cruises ever. Didn't feel the need to dine in specialty restaurants. Seated at a table of ten and had  great tablemates.   We had pre dinner drinks together and hung out at various venues after meals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Travrat said:

I don't mind tipping the bartender $20 for the week for my one martini I drink/ day  if they initially will make me my drink without charging me $1 extra

They NEVER charge anything extra. We tip simply because we've found that the staff keeps a keener eye (said that for our UK friends) on our drinks when we tip with each drink. Nothing new about that, right? I'm good for three martinis maximum or someone would have to shuttle me to the stateroom, so that's $3 extra per night for each of us. And, the chocolate martinis are really good, for those of us who enjoy chocolate, poured with Christiana vodka.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

They NEVER charge anything extra. We tip simply because we've found that the staff keeps a keener eye (said that for our UK friends) on our drinks when we tip with each drink. Nothing new about that, right? I'm good for three martinis maximum or someone would have to shuttle me to the stateroom, so that's $3 extra per night for each of us. And, the chocolate martinis are really good, for those of us who enjoy chocolate, poured with Christiana vodka.

Well, I think they charge $15 for a martini so that would be $7.20/ drink for each one on the Classic package $6+20% tip

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Travrat said:

 The Celebrity website gives very little info on Specialty restaurants on Equinox including not mentioning the cost of them. I tried to find prices on the web and it seemed that there was a $35-$50 up charge for Tuscan Grill and Murano. In fact until I was booked I could not see the price and nearly flipped out to see that it would be 

$119/pp to dine on Christmas Eve and 

$70/pp to dine on any other night during this cruise. I am sorry but there is no way that Murano or Tuscan Grill is worth that up charge! 

I would have flipped out as well.  Best thing to do is package and/or look for deals onboard.  X is getting creative with the hidden charges.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I would have flipped out as well.  Best thing to do is package and/or look for deals onboard.  X is getting creative with the hidden charges.

You are more than polite to call these charges "creative"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Travrat said:

Totally agree that sometimes a meal in the MDR can be better than one in a specialty restaurant. Our dinner at Pinnacle Grill on the Koningsdam last Christmas cruise we took was awful! I have found that since HAL started giving away so many free dinners at Pinnacle the service and food quality have decreased dramatically! The menu items have been downgraded and quality of meats has definitely gone downhill. This is one reason I won't sail HAL anytime soon. I do like specilty restaurants because I prefer a change in venue and a more intimate atmosphere.

 

I am sad to hear that Pinnacle is not what it used to be.  It used to be better than Muranos in my opinion. Their coffee was to die for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Travrat said:

You are more than polite to call these charges "creative"

I have only been on 2 cruises during Christmas and both were on HAL.  I appreciate you bringing this up as if it were not for CC I would not have known.  It is creative and sneaky because X is taking a popular time and driving home the revenue with tactics like this.  I am glad you shared it as now I for one am better informed.  Hope you make the best of it and have a great time!

 

Makes me glad we booked a b2b on Oceania where we will not have to worry about those sneaky charges.

 

Edited by Nymich
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Travrat said:

According to my cruise planner it is $70 every night of the cruise except for Christmas Eve when it is $119. If they pack them in at that price I would be surprised. Again, my point is that they should make people aware of what the specialty dining costs BEFORE they book. It was only available after I booked and is no place to be found on their website. I think that is very sketchy and makes me dislike this cruiseline! That's why I think I made a mistake!

 

Hi.  We are on a Solstice Holiday New Zealand sailing this December and the pricing is the same as you described $70 per night for Murano and Tuscan Grille (no special menu) and $119 for Christmas Eve and NYE (special menu).  However the initial pricing started about $5-10 lower a year ago. 

Edited by mahdnc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...