Starting to think booking on Equinox was a mistake

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

I had that. It was awesome. It was our first cruise in 2013. Do you think the food quality has declined since then?

I can’t tell you.  Unfortunately Edge did not have Muranos.  That was our last cruise.Two years ago on Solstice it was great!

34 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I had that. It was awesome. It was our first cruise in 2013. Do you think the food quality has declined since then?

I did Murano in September on Solstice and thought the food quality was actually better than it had been on our prior cruises.  We did both the tableside lobster and the tableside Chateaubriand, among other things, and they were fantastic.  Actually our first steak was overdone but still delicious, and when we gently mentioned it, they came out and did a new one to medium rare as requested.  We didn't expect nor ask for that, but it made the experience even better.

Edited by JMB27
2 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

I think it’s time to move to a different cruise line. We just came back from two weeks on Seabourn which is all inclusive except for WiFi, and are leaving on Crystal in January. I do not like the nickel and dime routine. Just take your money where you business is appreciated . Our Crystal balcony cabin, was $5300 pp for 15 nights. No extra charges, plus a nice OBC and a rebate after the trip. There is a wonderful life after Celebrity. 

Thanks.

I just priced a Tahiti cruise on Oceania.

The price was the same as a Princess Cruise.  Then you start adding in shore excursions, specialty dining, and drinks.  The Princess Cruise ends up 2k to 3k more.

I would have never known.

Celebrity did not have an itinerary that was what I wanted.

12 hours ago, Travrat said:

I never was enticed by Seabourn but have sailed Crystal twice. Also sailed Oceania 4x. Have not sailed Celebrity for 4 years and have no loyalty to any line! Don't like wasting my money in luxury brands to sail Christmas time in Caribbean which I do every year. Last 2 years did HAL  Koningsdam, Oceania Riviera year before that. Just think I made a mistake since Celebrity is not the more upscale line that it used to be

Tavrat.  Understand your points and concerns and not minimizing them.  Many others feel the same way on some of these issues.  But why dwell on whether you made a mistake?  If you are going on the cruise anyway- just enjoy it!

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I just priced a Tahiti cruise on Oceania.

The price was the same as a Princess Cruise.  Then you start adding in shore excursions, specialty dining, and drinks.  The Princess Cruise ends up 2k to 3k more.

I would have never known.

Celebrity did not have an itinerary that was what I wanted.

If you are going to do a Tahiti Cruise I recommend you only go on the Paul Gauguin. It is a small ship and the best way to see Polynesia . Also all inclusive 

Edited by alwaysonaship
20 hours ago, Travrat said:

Tito's is my vodka of choice and it is included on the Classic Package

I've never really understood people getting bent out of shape on Vodka brand if they're drinking it mixed... ESPECIALLY in something like cranberry. I had a friend who was a big Titos fan and swore she could tell the difference. I provided a proper blind taste test and she preferred the Sobieski or Barton's vodka in 3 out of 4 cocktails. Titos never once finished at the top of the list. Perhaps in a proper Vodka martini one might be able to discern quality vodka from wells... but I also doubt there's the ability to discern brands. 

Titos is one of the great gimmicks/marketing lies in the liquor world. Their vodka is NOT "handmade". They purchase bulk netural grain spirits by the tankerload like most brands in the US. Wash it through their pot stills (not a proper distillation) and make the ridiculous claim it's handmade...when it's simply industrial grade neutral grain alcohol. Link.  

It used to be a decent value but prices have gone up and quality has gone WAY down. It's now one of the worst values in vodka. 

Anyway... just throwing that out there. Tito-philes always make me chuckle. 

Edited by Icon901
19 hours ago, Nymich said:

I have only been on 2 cruises during Christmas and both were on HAL.  I appreciate you bringing this up as if it were not for CC I would not have known.  It is creative and sneaky because X is taking a popular time and driving home the revenue with tactics like this.  I am glad you shared it as now I for one am better informed.  Hope you make the best of it and have a great time!

Makes me glad we booked a b2b on Oceania where we will not have to worry about those sneaky charges.

Honest question here for @Travrat and others like Nymich above... 

To play devil's advocate: Celebrity appears to be trying to create a special dining experience with a premium menu in their premium dining halls for one holiday evening. Let's assume they're upping the quality of food and experience commensurate to the upcharge.

If so... I fail to see the problem. You have included options like the Main Dining Room and Buffet for dining options that have no upcharge. You appear to be upset that the "Special/Premium" dining room is getting a little more "Special/Premium" for a single Christmas dinner. I'm sure there are plenty of people excited about the opportunity to celebrate the holiday with a special meal.

Hypothetically would you be okay with NOT paying the upcharge but being served standard fare while everyone around enjoyed a premium meal?

Now, if Celebrity is up-charging for the dinner while still serving a standard menu... I would agree 100% THAT would be shady. Have you seen a menu to determine if that's the case?  

Edited by Icon901
17 minutes ago, calicakes said:

In your opinion.  Some people really enjoy them. 

Enjoyment and value-for-money are two separate issues. While I enjoy a $300 bottle of Champagne, it's not worth the $200 surcharge above a $100 bottle IMO. We normally have a few meals in specialty restaurants because we enjoy them, but I agree with @Redtravel that "Specialty restaurants are not worth high surcharges." 

17 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

I've never really understood people getting bent out of shape on Vodka brand if they're drinking it mixed... ESPECIALLY in something like cranberry. I had a friend who was a big Titos fan and swore she could tell the difference. I provided a proper blind taste test and she preferred the Sobieski or Barton's vodka in 3 out of 4 cocktails. Titos never once finished at the top of the list. Perhaps in a proper Vodka martini one might be able to discern quality vodka from wells... but I also doubt there's the ability to discern brands. 

Titos is one of the great gimmicks/marketing lies in the liquor world. Their vodka is NOT "handmade". They purchase bulk netural grain spirits by the tankerload like most brands in the US. Wash it through their pot stills (not a proper distillation) and make the ridiculous claim it's handmade...when it's simply industrial grade neutral grain alcohol. Link.  

It used to be a decent value but prices have gone up and quality has gone WAY down. It's now one of the worst values in vodka. 

Completely agree with it when used in mixed drinks.  Very infantile minute barely cant tell, and most cant.  Personally for my go to I get Deep Eddy, and only buy it when its on sale at around 13 or so.  Otherwise I have one craft one I get from a local distillery that is really good on the rocks.  Most of everything is due to marketing, image etc for the brands.  Prestige is a big factor in spirits/alcohol/liquor sales.  Well in most things.  Great post but many wont agree Im guessing. 

52 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

To play devil's advocate: Celebrity appears to be trying to create a special dining experience with a premium menu in their premium dining halls for one holiday evening. Let's assume they're upping the quality of food and experience commensurate to the upcharge.

If so... I fail to see the problem. You have included options like the Main Dining Room and Buffet for dining options that have no upcharge. You appear to be upset that the "Special/Premium" dining room is getting a little more "Special/Premium" for a single Christmas dinner. I'm sure there are plenty of people excited about the opportunity to celebrate the holiday with a special meal.

Hypothetically would you be okay with NOT paying the upcharge but being served standard fare while everyone around enjoyed a premium meal?

Now, if Celebrity is up-charging for the dinner while still serving a standard menu... I would agree 100% THAT would be shady. Have you seen a menu to determine if that's the case?  

My whole issue was that the OP had no knowledge of the increased prices prior to booking.  That being said it is what it is.  I will leave the hypotheticals to others.

56 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

For your info Tito's is made from corn and is gluten free. Since I am gluten sensitive I prefer it. In addition, Tito's is one of the vodka brands on the Classic package so I can have it but apparently only in a small martini glass. Also, I use a splash of cranberry so I can taste the vodka. Glad I make you chuckle

1 hour ago, Icon901 said:

According to the cruise planner they are serving this same menu all week every night as that is the only menu they show. It doesn't even look good to me as there are only 2 choices in each category which I find limiting. The regular menus in those venues look much better than their 

"special menu" for the holidays. They only have $70pp on every night and $119 on Christmas Eve so if they are having regular menu then you agree it is shady and if that is the only menu all week then that is boring

I like the specialty restaurants.  Surcharges are too high. $119pp is absurd. Christmas Eve? Celebrity is betting that some people will pay big bucks just because..... Even the usual $50 is high.  Once in awhile it is nice to eat in a smaller venue. We choose specialty restaurants when we dislike the regular  menu. We can usually get a discount. At the very least we can get a discount as elite plus or using our Celebrity credit card. Eating there every night would be very boring. Menu hasn’t changed in years.  MDR is good.  

18 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I like the specialty restaurants.  Surcharges are too high. $119pp is absurd. Christmas Eve? Celebrity is betting that some people will pay big bucks just because..... Even the usual $50 is high.  Once in awhile it is nice to eat in a smaller venue. We choose specialty restaurants when we dislike the regular  menu. We can usually get a discount. At the very least we can get a discount as elite plus or using our Celebrity credit card. Eating there every night would be very boring. Menu hasn’t changed in years.  MDR is good.  

The surcharges are ridiculous especially since guests pay such a high premium to sail Christmas week! There is more than a 150% markup on Christmas Eve and more than 50% markup on the usual

up charge of $45 to eat at Tuscon Grill every other night. I find this unbelievable!

This is a total rip off and Celebrity is really taking advantage of guests! Are they going to increase the price of drinks, gelato and specialty coffees as well??

Possibly. They did not let you know before booking how much the additional cost of Specialty dining was. For those of you who keep saying the food is good in the MDR- maybe, but I enjoy a change of atmosphere and don't enjoy the noise and waiters walking around with 15 dinners on a tray which is the scene in the MDR. I am willing to pay an additional amount to dine in peace but these prices are highway robbery!

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Enjoyment and value-for-money are two separate issues. While I enjoy a $300 bottle of Champagne, it's not worth the $200 surcharge above a $100 bottle IMO. We normally have a few meals in specialty restaurants because we enjoy them, but I agree with @Redtravel that "Specialty restaurants are not worth high surcharges." 

You're splitting hairs.  Worth it to who?  What is "worth it" is different for each person. IMHO, Laundry is NOT worth the high prices the cruise charges, others disagree.  Its very much worth it to them.   Isn't the food higher quality( ie: Tableside lobster) in Murano?  Its not like you're getting high end laundry.  In fact, I'd venture to say the detergent used in the ships laundry is low quality. 

1 hour ago, Travrat said:

For your info Tito's is made from corn and is gluten free. Since I am gluten sensitive I prefer it. In addition, Tito's is one of the vodka brands on the Classic package so I can have it but apparently only in a small martini glass. Also, I use a splash of cranberry so I can taste the vodka. Glad I make you chuckle

I'm well aware Titos is corn based. So is Smirnoff (also on classic package). Sorry about your sensitivities. I would agree either Smirnoff or Titos make solid gluten free cocktails. 

Didn't mean any offense, just reminded me of an ongoing thing among some folks thinking Tito's is premium/handmade vodka that makes me laugh. 

I'm glad you found an option for you on your classic beverage package. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Travrat said:

According to the cruise planner they are serving this same menu all week every night as that is the only menu they show. It doesn't even look good to me as there are only 2 choices in each category which I find limiting. The regular menus in those venues look much better than their 

"special menu" for the holidays. They only have $70pp on every night and $119 on Christmas Eve so if they are having regular menu then you agree it is shady and if that is the only menu all week then that is boring

I think any rational person would know better than to think they would be serving the same two-option dinner menu all week. 😉

Also, as an experienced cruiser I assume you're aware cruise planners are known to be inaccurate until MUCH closer to sailing time. The menus are still shifting for my Celebrity Equinox trip in less than 2 weeks. 

No, I do not agree with anything you've said yet, because you're making wild assumptions based on imperfect information nearly two months out from your cruise. 

I would agree with others who've said Celebrity likely isn't for you, and you might be better off going back to Crystal or other cruise lines you've enjoyed in the past. Cheers 🙂 

Edited by Icon901
2 hours ago, Travrat said:

Supply and demand..

It's not just the food but the service and venue.  Worth the higher charge for a holiday meal to some.  At the regular prices it could become overcrowded as they try to squeeze in more guests.

Others can enjoy Christmas Eve elsewhere. MDR will have a nice festive meal and probably the buffet as well.

Restaurants everywhere charge more on holidays..not always worth it!