Starting to think booking on Equinox was a mistake

Travrat

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

Supply and demand..

It's not just the food but the service and venue.  Worth the higher charge for a holiday meal to some.  At the regular prices it could become overcrowded as they try to squeeze in more guests.

Others can enjoy Christmas Eve elsewhere. MDR will have a nice festive meal and probably the buffet as well.

Restaurants everywhere charge more on holidays..not always worth it!

I go on a Christmas cruise every year and had never had an upcharge in Specialty restaurants on any line including Celebrity. I can even understand that if they are serving a special " holiday menu" one night they can up the fee. However,as I found out today after calling Celebrity, since they are serving their regular menu on all the other nights except Christmas eve they have a lot of nerve to mark up the charge to more than 50% of the regular upcharge- from $45 to $70 in Tuscan Grill and from $50 to $70 in Murano. If they only increased the Christmas Eve menu it would not be that big a deal but no restaurant on land or sea that I know of ups the cost from 12/21 to12/27 every night. 

• Like 1

I love Equinox and can't wait to sail her again this November.

As to the Martini Bar - discrimination??  Really??  The Martini Bar serves certain drinks - you can order them or not.  If you don't want what they serve, go elsewhere.  I have sailed several times with the classic package and either ordered a drink covered under the plan (or sometimes even a glass of ice water), or ordered a martini and paid the upcharge.  So where is the discrimination??  The World Class Bar (on some ships, not sure of Equinox) only serves certain drinks on their menu as well.  Are they discriminating as well?  I would not be happy about the Specialty dinners thing, but calling this discrimination just doesn't cut it with me.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Travrat said:

no restaurant on land or sea that I know of ups the cost from 12/21 to12/27 every night.

Actually, this happened to us in Las Vegas.  Not only were Xmas Eve and Xmas day brunch @ the buffet @ a hotel almost double, the cost was also the same on Dec 26th-Jan 1st.  

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I like the specialty restaurants.  Surcharges are too high. $119pp is absurd. Christmas Eve? Celebrity is betting that some people will pay big bucks just because..... Even the usual $50 is high.  Once in awhile it is nice to eat in a smaller venue. We choose specialty restaurants when we dislike the regular  menu. We can usually get a discount. At the very least we can get a discount as elite plus or using our Celebrity credit card. Eating there every night would be very boring. Menu hasn’t changed in years.  MDR is good.  

It is nice that you can get a discount with your Elite+ status and Celebrity credit card. I am only CC Select and get virtually no decent benefits. I don't want to eat in Specialty restaurant every night but I could definately go to Tuscan Grill and Murano 2 nights each and not be bored as I have not sailed Celebrity in 4 years and the menus are like new to me. Don't like the atmosphere in the MDR but can do it 3 nights no problem. I don't care for buffets for dinner though I read they may have fresh fish some nights which would be appealing to me

5 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Have you thought about eating in the MDR?  Food is good. There is no surcharge yet. Specialty restaurants are not worth high surcharges. 

I'm not a fan of specialty restaurants; my food at home is just as good, probably better so my DH says.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travrat said:

The surcharges are ridiculous especially since guests pay such a high premium to sail Christmas week! There is more than a 150% markup on Christmas Eve and more than 50% markup on the usual

up charge of $45 to eat at Tuscon Grill every other night. I find this unbelievable!

This is a total rip off and Celebrity is really taking advantage of guests! Are they going to increase the price of drinks, gelato and specialty coffees as well??

Possibly. They did not let you know before booking how much the additional cost of Specialty dining was. For those of you who keep saying the food is good in the MDR- maybe, but I enjoy a change of atmosphere and don't enjoy the noise and waiters walking around with 15 dinners on a tray which is the scene in the MDR. I am willing to pay an additional amount to dine in peace but these prices are highway robbery!

If you think the prices are too high, you could find a different vacation option.  I agree that prices on Celebrity have risen too much. With all the added charges, I expect some people will not continue to sail on Celebrity.  Basic economics will dictate how high fares can go. 

On 10/20/2019 at 5:24 PM, Travrat said:

Difficult to do this now as supply and demand changed the price from when I booked. I did get all 4 perks as gratuities were included from travel agent and chose three. Can't remember but I think they only offer Classic Beverage package as a perk. Looks like if you got the package as a perk you can't upgrade to premium for $12/ day

as people say they have and if you book or modify after 10/10 they charge $14+tax

I am not sure why you think you cannot upgrade from Classic to Premium.

It is $12 pp pd for that

and yes there is a new charge of $14 pp pd to the classic package if you take it as a perk...those two things are different...

I highly doubt you can do a suite during the holidays for LESS  than a deep balcony cabin (say on the hump as either concierge or Aqua) PLUS a specialty dining for every night.

We just did B2B on Equinox--outstanding service and food --and we had extra deep balcony rooms with lounge chairs etc

First sailing we did Aqua, second we did concierge with specialty dining 8 of 10 nights (6 in Murano, 2 in Tuscan)

We did price suites and they were much higher--- than the way we did it

So --either book the suite and enjoy Luminae or dine specialty... It is what it is...but your assertino that suites will be cheaper than specialty just isn't the case

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I love Equinox and can't wait to sail her again this November.

As to the Martini Bar - discrimination??  Really??  The Martini Bar serves certain drinks - you can order them or not.  If you don't want what they serve, go elsewhere.  I have sailed several times with the classic package and either ordered a drink covered under the plan (or sometimes even a glass of ice water), or ordered a martini and paid the upcharge.  So where is the discrimination??  The World Class Bar (on some ships, not sure of Equinox) only serves certain drinks on their menu as well.  Are they discriminating as well?  I would not be happy about the Specialty dinners thing, but calling this discrimination just doesn't cut it with me.

If I can only get my martini in a small martini glass even though my vodka is part of the package I will call it that. If that is not the case then I won't. Will let u know. Or u can let me know when u sail in November. Order s martini with your package card and package inclusive vodka and let me know if they give you a martini in a regular size glass. I remember 4 years ago they said that a martini is 2 drinks and they can only serve one drink at a time- maybe not discrimination but certainly stupid since you are allowed unlimited drinks of inclusive liquor. Some place in cruise critic someone posted that they were not served at the Martini Bar without a premium package and other people said they were served in a small glass. Do a search on this site. I am not making it up! Sorry but other cruise lines don't have these stupid rules! 

2 hours ago, Travrat said:

I go on a Christmas cruise every year and had never had an upcharge in Specialty restaurants on any line including Celebrity. I can even understand that if they are serving a special " holiday menu" one night they can up the fee. However,as I found out today after calling Celebrity, since they are serving their regular menu on all the other nights except Christmas eve they have a lot of nerve to mark up the charge to more than 50% of the regular upcharge- from $45 to $70 in Tuscan Grill and from $50 to $70 in Murano. If they only increased the Christmas Eve menu it would not be that big a deal but no restaurant on land or sea that I know of ups the cost from 12/21 to12/27 every night. 

If res are not selling well, there will be discounts on the other nights!  We do not go to  Specialty  dining for dinner very often..maybe 1x per cruise .  We sail AQ class (usually) and have BLU.  But we try specialty venues for lunch sometime ...

Hope enjoy your cruise.

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Actually, this happened to us in Las Vegas.  Not only were Xmas Eve and Xmas day brunch @ the buffet @ a hotel almost double, the cost was also the same on Dec 26th-Jan 1st.  

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

If res are not selling well, there will be discounts on the other nights!

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

If res are not selling well, there will be discounts on the other nights!

That is why they raise the price to begin with. But 30% off of $70 is still $49 and that is more than $45 reg price of Tuscan and $1 less than $50 Reg price Murano

So really paying full price with discount

Edited by Travrat

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

But do you think 12/21, 12/22 and 12/23 were more? Also, 2 more holidays NYE and Day. By the way I enjoyed your post of the cruise you were just on. Very honest and nice pics and review. Thanks

I have cruised on Carnival to the point I am platinum. leaving Friday on Equinox. Never had speciality dining ever and prob wont this time.I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal in MDR and I I were to I would tell the waiter to bring something else. I have always felt the worst day on a cruise is still a great  day.

• Like 2

Just now, 6fan said:

I have cruised on Carnival to the point I am platinum. leaving Friday on Equinox. Never had speciality dining ever and prob wont this time.I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal in MDR and I I were to I would tell the waiter to bring something else. I have always felt the worst day on a cruise is still a great  day.

Agree about worst day on cruise still being a good day! Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

If you think the prices are too high, you could find a different vacation option.  I agree that prices on Celebrity have risen too much. With all the added charges, I expect some people will not continue to sail on Celebrity.  Basic economics will dictate how high fares can go. 

Just think that Celebrity is nickel and diming guests. If I realized they had sneaky hidden fees I would have rather sailed on a more upscale line, payed more upfront and not being charged $1 extra for this and $6 extra for that. It lessens their credibility as a cruise line. Hoping I love my cruise with them. 

14 minutes ago, Travrat said:

Just think that Celebrity is nickel and diming guests. If I realized they had sneaky hidden fees I would have rather sailed on a more upscale line, payed more upfront and not being charged $1 extra for this and $6 extra for that. It lessens their credibility as a cruise line. Hoping I love my cruise with them. 

It is sad that you are going on vacation with a negative view.  There are many people who complain about all the added charges. I hope that you relax and enjoy the trip.  I prefer a cruise that is more inclusive or is upfront about the amount of extra fees.  With all the choices of cruise vacations available, you should be able to find an acceptable one. Your travel agent should help. 

• Like 3

Go and enjoy the cruise.  Of course you can come to our house. You will have an excellent meal and wine(according to my food critics). It does involve some quirks. 20 plus people including some that imbibe a bit much, 2 or 3 that can't decide which food doesn't offend, 4 that are habitually late, some that can't abide by no politics at the table, etc. Oh, and the dessert will not have whipped cream because they drank it in their coffee instead of the half and half.  It's family and we forge ahead.  Agree that Celebrity home office is working the pricing strategy too much but the crew seems to always bail them out.  

Edited by SkystheLimit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Go and enjoy the cruise.  Of course you can come to our house. You will have an excellent meal and wine(according to my food critics). It does involve some quirks. 20 plus people including some that imbibe a bit much, 2 or 3 that can't decide which food doesn't offend, 4 that are habitually late, some that can't abide by no politics at the table, etc. Oh, and the dessert will not have whipped cream because they drank it in their coffee instead of the half and half.  It's family and we forge ahead.  Agree that Celebrity home office is working the pricing strategy too much but the crew seems to always bails them out.  

We will all be over for dinner tomorrow night.  What time does it start?

11 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Go and enjoy the cruise.  Of course you can come to our house. You will have an excellent meal and wine(according to my food critics). It does involve some quirks. 20 plus people including some that imbibe a bit much, 2 or 3 that can't decide which food doesn't offend, 4 that are habitually late, some that can't abide by no politics at the table, etc. Oh, and the dessert will not have whipped cream because they drank it in their coffee instead of the half and half.  It's family and we forge ahead.  Agree that Celebrity home office is working the pricing strategy too much but the crew seems to always bails them out.  

After a lot of drama at “family” Xmas, a lot of it involving gifts... we decided to say eff this. No more. We made the decision to go away for Xmas. Maui this year ,touch canal cruise next year.

• Like 1

Travrat, I honestly am worried now that unless you ‘put in the bin’ your disgruntlement you are going to board and every little thing that isn’t perfect will just ‘needle’ you.

Much as I am looking forward to enjoying Christmas at home with family...

no-one will make my bed or put a chocolate on my pillow at night

cook my meals 

pour my drinks

TV will be my main entertainment 

it most likely will be cold and wet....

Your glass is much more than half full, focus on the positives now and enjoy your cruise...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Travrat said:

Does anyone actually pay full price for specialty dining when onboard? We did Qsine last night after a Blu waiter practically begged us to go there with a 50% discount. When we left only four tables were occupied and this ship has sailed full.... Great service though! 

I strongly suspect on your sailing they'll also be heavily discounted too because few will pay the silly prices you mention. I'd stop worrying in all honesty. 

Just adding another $.02 to this discussion.

We like Celebrity and did Equinox Jan 2018.  Just didn't do speciality dining rooms.  Completely enjoyed MDR.  One of the nice perks from concierge class is getting to eat in MDR at any time with no issues other than needing to have an open table when we got there.  

In August we did Oosterdam to Alaska. Ate most meals in MDR.  Lot nicer than the buffet.  Did do Pinnacle Grill at 1/2 price, good but not for full price.

Looking forward to Insignia over NYE to see how that works.

Then back to Equinox in May to try a Suite that I snagged at a really great price.

Sometimes there are things I don't enjoy on cruises, but that is true about life.  Wish I could figure out a way to cruise full time, but life does get in the way.😎

2 hours ago, stoshb said:

One of the nice perks from concierge class is getting to eat in MDR at any time with no issues other than needing to have an open table when we got there.  

Not just for Concierge Class, if you’re on Select Dining and there’s a table free, anyone can have it, irrespective of class.

21 hours ago, calicakes said:

You're splitting hairs.  Worth it to who?  What is "worth it" is different for each person. IMHO, Laundry is NOT worth the high prices the cruise charges, others disagree.  Its very much worth it to them.   Isn't the food higher quality( ie: Tableside lobster) in Murano?  Its not like you're getting high end laundry.  In fact, I'd venture to say the detergent used in the ships laundry is low quality. 

I recently sent a very nice but inexpensive linen dress to the onboard laundry for dry cleanup and the straps were still dirty when it was returned. Laundry is ok for t shirts socks and underwear but not for anything special.

We cruised a 9 night last year over Christmas.  We did a 5 night specialty dining package.  The only night that was more was Christmas Eve/ Day.  They must have changed things.  We didn't mind since we had plenty of dining options.  I understand everyone would want to do a specialty restaurant on a holiday so I guess they have to raise the prices.  I loved being on the ship on the holidays, so much fun, music/food, etc.  made it all special.  I loved the Christmas singing on Christmas Eve.