Card slot inside door for lights,power on Meda!lion Ships??

tabprincess

Just curious if someone who has been on a fully Medallion class ship can tell me how the lights/power work in the cabin now that they are not giving out cruise cards? You know, you used to have to put your cruise card in the slot just inside the door to get the lights on? How is it done now? We are on the Crown in a week and I'm just wondering.

The card slot was (still) there on the Regal in April. No changes to functionality. I threw a hotel key I had in there. 

You bring up a good point though. I wonder if the Sky (and future new builds) will do away with this. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Andrew

Edited by arowe6

The Crown doesn't have the slots for the lights--or at least our cabin didn't have one. I had one on the Island Princess this summer in one of the new cabins. I always take an old grocery store loyalty card to use in it.

Royal Caribbean uses a similar technology.  We have always used a supermarket card, a used gift car, etc.  until this past cruise, when we forgot to bring one.  My husband told me not to worry about it.  He folded a piece of paper and voila!!!  It should be a simple fix if a card is not supplied.

Edited by Sanz

4 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Just curious if someone who has been on a fully Medallion class ship can tell me how the lights/power work in the cabin now that they are not giving out cruise cards? You know, you used to have to put your cruise card in the slot just inside the door to get the lights on? How is it done now? We are on the Crown in a week and I'm just wondering.

No worries. The crown doesn't use the card to operate the lights. Flip of the switch is all you need. Happy sailing. We loved the crown immensely. 

Only the royal class ships have the energy saving slot by the door.  We use an old gift card but have seen a piece of construction paper cut to the size of a room card.  All you need is something to break the beam in the holder.  We have been on other newer cruise ships on other cruiselines and they have the same setup.  Seems to be industry wide perhaps. Everyone including the room stewards are defeating it so it is just an annoyance and useless. 

Edited by satxdiver

20 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Only the royal class ships have the energy saving slot by the door.  We use an old gift card but have seen a piece of construction paper cut to the size of a room card.  All you need is something to break the beam in the holder.  We have been on other newer cruise ships on other cruiselines and they have the same setup.  Seems to be industry wide perhaps. Everyone including the room stewards are defeating it so it is just an annoyance and useless. 

The last time we sailed on Regal, we used an old card in the slot.  While we were out, the steward kept removing the card and placing it on the desk.  :classic_angry: 

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The last time we sailed on Regal, we used an old card in the slot.  While we were out, the steward kept removing the card and placing it on the desk.  :classic_angry: 

That would irritate me, too. 

Similar to a couple of posts above, we were just on the Royal Princess two weeks ago and they had a pre-populated card in the slot for us to use. Our room steward asked that when we left the cabin that we pull the card and leave it at an angle in the slot so the lights/power would turn off. Then the card was easily accessible to put in the slot when he or we returned to the cabin. For us it was easy to get in the habit of doing that and better than going around and turning off every light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, United_11 said:

For us it was easy to get in the habit of doing that and better than going around and turning off every light.

I was trained to turn off all lights when I left a room.  I've had to overcome this habit for security lights left on timers, but otherwise I still turn off lights/TV/radio; yes, Mom, I know that we don't own the power company!

Finding all the light switches on some cruise ships can be difficult (Celebrity Edge was the worst!), and the simplicity of simply pulling a card from a slot to turn them all off is pleasant!

• Like 3

On 10/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, United_11 said:

Similar to a couple of posts above, we were just on the Royal Princess two weeks ago and they had a pre-populated card in the slot for us to use. Our room steward asked that when we left the cabin that we pull the card and leave it at an angle in the slot so the lights/power would turn off. Then the card was easily accessible to put in the slot when he or we returned to the cabin. For us it was easy to get in the habit of doing that and better than going around and turning off every light.

This is what we have been doing ever since the Royal Princess was commissioned.  There is always a hotel door entry card in our cruise "go bag" that we use when on a Royal Class ship.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:51 PM, United_11 said:

So pulling out the card shuts down all power? The refrigerator doesn't work then? My travelling companion uses insulin that needs to stay cold. I always turn off lights when I leave so I have no problem doing that. But I don't want food or medicine in the fridge to go warm. 

1 hour ago, The Mikado said:

Usually just the lights and air con/heating. Everything else is on a different circuit.

if that is true about the a/c and heating ... our card is never coming out .. but we will turn off the lights... when the party is over