Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
NoseWhistle

Did RC improve the New Year's experience on Oasis class?

Recommended Posts

Hello. We are sailing Harmony this coming New Years week. We were on Oasis 4 years ago for New Year's week and were disappointed in the New Year's eve (lack of) celebration. The cruise director used his wonderful voice to sing karaoke from the balcony in the promenade (no live music), but there were no outdoor top deck festivities even though it was warm outside. Maybe this ship class is too large to do a deck party (something I really miss from the smaller ships)? But even an overcrowded DJ at 12:05 up on deck for 2 hours would have at least been something. We were so underwhelmed that we were convinced there was more, surely, somewhere, so we went up on deck to the rear where we heard a band warming up. Finally! The party we were waiting for! Until we were informed it was a closed CREW ONLY party starting at 12:30. Wow. The crew got their New Year's outdoor deck party blowout complete with live music, but those of us paying a 5 figure bill didn't deserve one? How about letting the crew start their party at 2:00am? Or giving them the following night off for their party? I felt forgotten and unappreciated as a customer buying several cabins and paying high holiday rates. The New Year's outdoor parties on the smaller ships were much better. Anyone else with a similar New Year's experience aboard Oasis class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to CC.

 

The CD and other staff have more to do on what you may experience than the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Harmony for New Years’ last year (and will be this year so looks like we are on the same cruise). Last year they advertised on the cruise compass a big party on the promenade and a quiet family party on the top deck. The top deck party never happened and there was no explanation - I assume because it was a bit windy that evening.  Consequently, the promenade party was seriously overcrowded and a bit much for us - we waited on the outskirts of the crowd 10 minutes before the countdown then left. It did look like a rather lively party, however, with very good live music and a gigantic balloon drop (the cruise director mentioned the next day that the staff had individually blown up each of the thousands of balloons). It looked like a lot of fun; however, our family is not big on giant crowds, so we would have preferred something a bit quieter elsewhere on the ship.  Hopefully, this year the top deck party happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

 

The CD and other staff have more to do on what you may experience than the ship.

Not sure I understand what this means. So why didn't they plan something better? The crew had the best party going. Seems backwards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NoseWhistle said:

So why didn't they plan something better?

Who knows, but my point was that activities depend on the staff, not so much the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LisaD2164 said:

We were on Harmony for New Years’ last year (and will be this year so looks like we are on the same cruise). Last year they advertised on the cruise compass a big party on the promenade and a quiet family party on the top deck. The top deck party never happened and there was no explanation - I assume because it was a bit windy that evening.  Consequently, the promenade party was seriously overcrowded and a bit much for us - we waited on the outskirts of the crowd 10 minutes before the countdown then left. It did look like a rather lively party, however, with very good live music and a gigantic balloon drop (the cruise director mentioned the next day that the staff had individually blown up each of the thousands of balloons). It looked like a lot of fun; however, our family is not big on giant crowds, so we would have preferred something a bit quieter elsewhere on the ship.  Hopefully, this year the top deck party happens.

 

Ugh. That's what I thought. Maybe it's the layout of this ship's class. Boring for New Year's. The Promenade on Oasis was touching-elbows crowded and we didn't have live music. Just cruise director karaoke. It felt like I chose to celebrate New Year's inside the mall - weird considering how beautiful the weather was up on deck. There was no family party up on deck. The worst part was that everyone disbursed at 12:05, because all the festivities were officially over, except for the crew-only party at 12:30 up on deck. I can't imagine being a west coaster. Sure we could go to the nightclubs but that's no different than every night. The old cruises would have a midnight buffet, but none on Oasis. I don't even care to eat, it's just that people would have an excuse to keep the party going if there was something on the schedule. How much would it cost to have a dance party until 1:30 with a DJ up on deck? You'd think the crew could have their party the following night considering we pay these holiday rates. We all work hard all year, but we pay, and they get the real party. We usually do New Year's week on Carnival where the central pool area is rocking and it's a fun crowd for the week. Oh well. At least I can set the bar low now and not be disappointed. Thanks for letting me know my experience wasn't unique!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will also be on the Harmony this New Years.....This will be our first “holiday” sailing.

 

Any day at sea is a great day, so I know I will have a great time!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We will also be on the Harmony this New Years.....This will be our first “holiday” sailing.

 

Any day at sea is a great day, so I know I will have a great time!!

 

Awesome. That's 3 families already! Anyone else?

 

Elbow-to-elbow karaoke music in the mall was a fail. Not worth my time this cruise. Do you play a musical instrument? Maybe we can start our own live band and play up on deck? Who needs Royal Caribbean? Maybe we could name it the Underappreciated Passengers? Expensive Fail? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NoseWhistle said:

 

Awesome. That's 3 families already! Anyone else?

 

Elbow-to-elbow karaoke music in the mall was a fail. Not worth my time this cruise. Do you play a musical instrument? Maybe we can start our own live band and play up on deck? Who needs Royal Caribbean? Maybe we could name it the Underappreciated Passengers? Expensive Fail? 


Since you were so disappointed in the Oasis I am surprised you booked the Harmony for New Years instead of a smaller ship that you prefer.  Sadly it sounds like you have already made up your mind to be disappointed again.

 

We are very excited to be on the Harmony (3rd time this year) for New Years.  We love the ship and it’s hardworking crew!  We have never felt under appreciated....

 

I do sincerely hope you have a great cruise.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:


Since you were so disappointed in the Oasis I am surprised you booked the Harmony for New Years instead of a smaller ship that you prefer.  Sadly it sounds like you have already made up your mind to be disappointed again.

 

We are very excited to be on the Harmony (3rd time this year) for New Years.  We love the ship and it’s hardworking crew!  We have never felt under appreciated....

 

I do sincerely hope you have a great cruise.....

Notice my post said I was disappointed in the quality of the New Year's eve schedule. There's much more to a week long cruise than just a few hours. As grand as the ship is for all the other activities, I expected more for a holiday like New Year's eve. I was wondering if my prior experience was an outlier so I thought I would try again. It's important to manage expectations. Imagine the revenues that are generated by this week alone. We can't get a DJ for a deck party? No more unrealistic expectations. That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, NoseWhistle said:

Hello. We are sailing Harmony this coming New Years week. We were on Oasis 4 years ago for New Year's week and were disappointed in the New Year's eve (lack of) celebration. The cruise director used his wonderful voice to sing karaoke from the balcony in the promenade (no live music), but there were no outdoor top deck festivities even though it was warm outside. Maybe this ship class is too large to do a deck party (something I really miss from the smaller ships)? But even an overcrowded DJ at 12:05 up on deck for 2 hours would have at least been something. We were so underwhelmed that we were convinced there was more, surely, somewhere, so we went up on deck to the rear where we heard a band warming up. Finally! The party we were waiting for! Until we were informed it was a closed CREW ONLY party starting at 12:30. Wow. The crew got their New Year's outdoor deck party blowout complete with live music, but those of us paying a 5 figure bill didn't deserve one? How about letting the crew start their party at 2:00am? Or giving them the following night off for their party? I felt forgotten and unappreciated as a customer buying several cabins and paying high holiday rates. The New Year's outdoor parties on the smaller ships were much better. Anyone else with a similar New Year's experience aboard Oasis class?

 

They will make you a VIP spot on the promenade for a few hundred dollars.  

 

Sometimes they turn the Solarium into a night club.  No deck parties on Oasis class 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

 

They will make you a VIP spot on the promenade for a few hundred dollars.  

 

Sometimes they turn the Solarium into a night club.  No deck parties on Oasis class 

1. Might be worth it if they had a live band, but not for the cruise director singing karaoke.

2. That would scratch my itch but that should be mandatory considering New Year's eve pricing.

3. Why not? Do they not realize we're facing the long cold winter for the next 3 months? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

 

They will make you a VIP spot on the promenade for a few hundred dollars.  

 

Sometimes they turn the Solarium into a night club.  No deck parties on Oasis class 

Although not anymore.  With the new signature Lime & Coconut on Oasis, when the sun goes down, this pool bar just might be the hottest spot onboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, GTO-Girl said:

We will also be on the Harmony this New Years.....This will be our first “holiday” sailing.

 

Any day at sea is a great day, so I know I will have a great time!!

You will have a great time! We had so much fun on our New Years' cruise lat year that we decided to go back with another family this year. Big parties are not our speed but the cruise itself was a lot of fun. It was great to start the first day of the year in the Caribbean - how to beat that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Sometimes they turn the Solarium into a night club.  No deck parties on Oasis class 

 

The Solarium is probably the only place to have a deck party. With Central Park and Boardwalk splitting the pool deck in half, the layout does not lend itself to big, nighttime parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Grumpus said:

Although not anymore.  With the new signature Lime & Coconut on Oasis, when the sun goes down, this pool bar just might be the hottest spot onboard!

 

Hopefully!

 

I've always found the pool bars on Oasis (all 4 of them) to be the least lively on any of the Royal ships. Perhaps it spreads the crowd out too much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, NoseWhistle said:

he New Year's outdoor parties on the smaller ships were much better.

 

Just out of curiosity, which ships and what was better about the parties?

Edited by HBE4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, NoseWhistle said:

There was no family party up on deck. The worst part was that everyone disbursed at 12:05, because all the festivities were officially over, except for the crew-only party at 12:30 up on deck.

 

On 10/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, NoseWhistle said:

How much would it cost to have a dance party until 1:30 with a DJ up on deck? You'd think the crew could have their party the following night considering we pay these holiday rates. We all work hard all year, but we pay, and they get the real party.

 

I'm kind of shocked they don't do more than that for NYE. They charge 2-3 times as much to cruise over these holidays, I assumed people did them for the celebrations (they at least do stuff for Xmas?).

 

For those who do sail over the holidays, what do you like about it that justifies the premium? Or is it more an issue of getting time off from work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HBE4 said:

 

Just out of curiosity, which ships and what was better about the parties?

We normally cruise the medium to large Carnivals. Some bands are better than others, but they do the usual line dances in the outdoor central pool are like macarena et al which even gets some kids dancing. Most people stand on the stepped terraces to watch. It goes on until after 1:00 or so, but at least it felt like a party. THe Oasis class pool deck layout must be the problem. But who care it they only celebrate on one side, or the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tomservo said:

 

 

I'm kind of shocked they don't do more than that for NYE. They charge 2-3 times as much to cruise over these holidays, I assumed people did them for the celebrations (they at least do stuff for Xmas?).

 

For those who do sail over the holidays, what do you like about it that justifies the premium? Or is it more an issue of getting time off from work?

Yes, I was disappointed in NYE and was hoping my experience was an outlier, but I guess not according to one other poster above. Maybe a few others can contribute. The one other negative with Oasis class is that we only get one comedy night and one show night the whole week, and you reserve your night and time a month in advance, because the sizes of the venues are not proportionate to the 5500 passengers on board. Carnival has 2 comedian acts for the first half of the cruise, then rotates 2 new comedians in for the second half, so we get up to 4 shows. Quality varies, but we look forward to the variety. 

 

Kids off school is the ONLY reason. Save your money and go some other time if you can. There was nothing special about New Year's eve on Oasis. Although there is a higher percentage of kids on holiday cruises, the ship is still mostly adults by a wide margin. Too expensive for most families. Carnival's crowd is definitely younger and the crew more apt to throw a good party for the week, especially NYE, but it's still mostly adults. The food isn't quite as good on Carnival, but I don't want to gain weight anyway. There's enough good food. I was surprised to see that the demographics of the 3 or 4 day cruise is noticeably different than the 7 day holiday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoseWhistle said:

Kids off school is the ONLY reason. Save your money and go some other time if you can.

 

Thanks for the insight. I have no issues pulling my kids out of school for a cruise. Right now we have cruises booked in November, March, and next October. It’s not as bad since they’re young, but it will definitely be harder to pull them when they get to high school. Our priorities right now in order are price/ship/itinerary. Work is flexible and I can take time off almost whenever, so it’s hard for me to justify the summer/holiday premium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 8:34 PM, NoseWhistle said:

......3. Why not? Do they not realize we're facing the long cold winter for the next 3 months? 

Not everyone has that problem. Move to a southern state and that will fix that. 😊  I am suprised that they don't do more. Glad I know now so I don't book a cruise thinking there would be more going on.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really depressing reading this. We are the Oasis this new years and expected it be a happening event but doesn't sound like it.  So what bar do you suggest we find a seat and spend the night? Or are the specialty dinning restaurants worth anything? They charge allot.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, old man 1010 said:

really depressing reading this. We are the Oasis this new years and expected it be a happening event but doesn't sound like it.  So what bar do you suggest we find a seat and spend the night? Or are the specialty dinning restaurants worth anything? They charge allot.... 

The advantage to a huge ship is the variety of bars for all tastes. They do a good job of switching music tastes every hour in some bars i.e. 70s dance from 11-midnight, 80s from midnight-1, etc. The key is to thoroughly examine the schedule of offerings and take note of when and where to get what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...