Interesting email this morning from HAL

ASIWISH

this seems like a one-time event.... is it?

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
Please be advised that check-in for your Cruise will now begin at 2:00 PM. Please do not arrive at the terminal prior to 2:00 PM as additional immigration formalities and a U.S. Coast Guard Drill requiring participation from all crew members will be taking place upon the ship's arrival. Embarkation cannot begin until these formalities are complete. For your comfort, we ask that you arrive at the check-in time as indicated below as there is limited seating and facilities at the terminal. If
you purchased a pre-cruise hotel package from Holland America, your transfer time will be provided at your hotel.
2:30 PM - Deck 6, Deck 7 & Deck 10 (Mozart, Schubert, & Panorama)
3:00 PM - Deck 4, Deck 5 & Deck 8 (Beethoven, Gershwin & Navigation)
3:30 PM - Deck 1 & Deck 11 (Main & Sun)
We invite our 4 & 5 Star Mariners and Pinnacle & Neptune Suite guests to arrive anytime between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

• Like 1

They have been sending this email to people for quite some time. We ignore it and board early, as do most people, I believe. They do not check to see if you came early, so just show up when you want to board, no problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, cabinluvn said:

They have been sending this email to people for quite some time. We ignore it and board early, as do most people, I believe. They do not check to see if you came early, so just show up when you want to board, no problem

This sounds like more than the usual staggering of times. They mention a Coast Guard drill. 

• Like 1

When the K-dam first arrived in the US (Nov 2016) we got a similar notice, but they said we could give them a cell phone number to send a text when boarding actually began.  We dropped off our bags around 10:30 and went "downtown".  While we were eating lunch around 12:00 we got the text. Got back to port around 12:30, went through the priority check-in line, and went right on board.

Check to see if they're still offering such a text-message service for your cruise.

18 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Where is your embarkation port? If this is the first time your ship has been at a US port for a while, it isn't unusual for there to be extra formalities.

This happened to me on the Noordam in Pt. Everglades, when the ship was returning from a season in Europe.  It was dark when we boarded, and we were told it was "come as you are" in the MDR because most people didn't get their suitcases till late.  Mine arrived at 11 pm.  A lido deck bbq was also offered for dinner that night for those like me who were too tired to deal with the MDR.  

If the OP is being given advance notice, I wouldn't head over there until 2 pm unless you want to stand in the hot sun waiting. 

• Like 1

We were on the Zuiderdam Canada NE cruise September 3-15.   We arrived from the airport at 12 noon (we are 4* mariners) and the lineup for embarkation was way down the block.  

Seems there was a coast guard drill.    Stood around endlessly, outside the terminal.  Port staff were handing out snacks and I think bottled water.   The line started moving at approx 2 pm...  We ended up inside at security approx 2:30 PM, which went fast...Being 4* we were then fast tracked through the priority embarkation and were in the Lido by approx 3 PM.  

We never received an email such as yours, regarding coast guard drill.   However your email is very different from the usual recommended  arrival times - so I would definitely heed  the message - otherwise you will be standing around forever (and of course the line did not move until the drill was completed.  There were seats set up in areas for those who could not stand for great lengths of time.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

This has happened to us several times when the ships arrived back from Europe and had to be inspected before any passengers could board.  

Be lucky you were warned -- we weren't and ended up sitting in the terminal for a couple of hours.

Yes, I never thought of that, The Zuiderdam must have just completed their Voyage of the Vikings, or Viking Passage itinerary at Boston.    It was a real mess outside the cruise port with huge lineups, and it was a warm day.

Carol

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

I would be careful about following this advice.  Just sayin'.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

Yes, there is an email relating to staggered boarding times for Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.  The general consensus is that it can be safely ignored.

However, the email posted by OP mentions USCG drill for ALL crew and the date coincides with the ship's return from Europe, so I would be inclined to follow the instructions on this email, or be prepared for a possible long wait.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CJcruzer said:

We were on the Zuiderdam Canada NE cruise September 3-15.   We arrived from the airport at 12 noon (we are 4* mariners) and the lineup for embarkation was way down the block.  

Seems there was a coast guard drill.    Stood around endlessly, outside the terminal.  Port staff were handing out snacks and I think bottled water.   The line started moving at approx 2 pm...  We ended up inside at security approx 2:30 PM, which went fast...Being 4* we were then fast tracked through the priority embarkation and were in the Lido by approx 3 PM.  

We never received an email such as yours, regarding coast guard drill.   However your email is very different from the usual recommended  arrival times - so I would definitely heed  the message - otherwise you will be standing around forever (and of course the line did not move until the drill was completed.  There were seats set up in areas for those who could not stand for great lengths of time.

Carol

Wow, I had no idea that people were waiting outside for hours.  We were on the same cruise but arrived at the terminal around 11 am so were allowed in and sat around until we could embark; our delay was just over an hour.   The delay was definitely due to the health inspection after the Zuiderdam's return to the US.  They must have "closed" the terminal during the delay to reduce crowding.  I had noticed that no new passengers were being checked in...

Koningsdam will be arriving Nov 13th from Civitavecchia, so I'm guessing we may get the same email since we are boarding the 13th.  We arrive at FLL around 11:00AM and have a HAL transfer booked.  We might be waiting a while to get on board and get to the Bread Pudding!  

With ship arriving from Europe likely will be Coast Guard as well as USPH inspections.  VERY busy day for the crew in addition to turning the ship around for new passengers. 

Pretty much guarantee that even with the insanely busy day for them you will be greeted with warm smiles and welcomes. HAL crew is amazing!

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

This has happened to us several times when the ships arrived back from Europe and had to be inspected before any passengers could board.  

Be lucky you were warned -- we weren't and ended up sitting in the terminal for a couple of hours.

Had this happen in 2011 for Zuiderdam. Never again. They were not very nice to older folks with canes either making them stand in hot sun.

Lesson learned, NEVER book a ship for the first week just returning from Europe. Lots of coast activity.

Also, they still have foreign brands for milk and other foods with packaging hard to read. 

I would be careful about following this advice.  Just sayin'.

I totally missed the part about the Coast Guard...so thank you for pointing that out. Thinking it was just the standard email they send out about embarkation that has the staggered times

• Like 1