Tokyo Hotel

shipster60

I know there are some posts about hotels already, but I need some specific advice. Our cruise ends in Tokyo and we fly out the next morning at 11 am from Narita airport. I plan to book a tour for our Tokyo arrival day to see a Tokyo. Hopefully they will meet us at the port. Would it be best to book a hotel near the airport? If so which one? Any advice is appreciated. I’d love more time in Tokyo but can’t afford it this time. 

Does your cruise end in Tokyo or Yokohama because Yokohama is about 45 mins southwest of Tokyo.  While there is stuff to see in Yokohama, it's skippable if you are targeting Tokyo, particularly if it's your first time.  It may also impact how you handle your luggage.

Also note that Narita airport is also kind of far from central Tokyo; also about 45mins to an hour away by express train.  (A simple equivalent might be Miami and Ft Lauderdale).  Ie. It wouldn't be worth going to your hotel at/near Narita to drop off gear and then heading back to Tokyo.

If you decide to stay in Tokyo, I'd recommend staying at a hotel near a train station where one of the express trains (Narita Express or Keisei Skyliner) to Narita airports stop at like Tokyo station, Shibuya, Shinjuku, (or Yokohama).  I'm thinking you can try to dump your luggage at your hotel before continuing with the tour or have the tour company deal with it.  This would likely be my preference to allow for more time in Tokyo in the evening (vs travelling to a Narita hotel in the evening).  YMMV. 

If you decide to stay near Narita airport, there appears to be a few hotels by the airport but Narita city is about 15 to 20 mins by local train which has more hotel options.  Narity city is kind of quaint with some attractions but it's not really worth allocating your time there if your goal is Tokyo.  

Other potential options with your luggage are to use Takuhaibin Delivery Services to deliver your luggage to your hotel or storing your luggage in a locker at a train station.

Thank you so much. This is such good information. We do sail into Yokohama and I knew it was out of Tokyo but I wasn’t sure how far. I’m planning to book a private tour for just us so hopefully we can keep our luggage with us, we don’t travel with a lot. Staying in Tokyo near the Narita train sounds best. Now, I just need to decide how to get to the airport in the morning, either train or private transfer. Good thing I have a little time. 

There are few ways to get from central Tokyo to Narita: 1) Narita express between 56 - 60 minutes from Tokyo train to Narita terminal 1 and 2 at approximately 3,070 yen one way.  All Narita express required a seat reservation which is more than the train fare 1,730.  The first train at 6:18 am and the next train is at 7:00 am but every 15 minutes after 7. 

2) Ordinary train does not require seat reservation and costs 1,730 less but includes one change.  If you are not familiar with Japanese trail system plus with luggage, I suggestion not to use this

3) Express bus - about the same cost as option #1 but it is convenient if you stay at the hotel where the bus drop/pick up passenger.  

4) Ordinary bus - less than express bus but I never considered bus option especially on the way to airport.  Bus can stuck in traffic.

If I have one night to stay, I would not stay near Narita town unless I have a very early flight.  That said, stay near Tokyo station and option #1 to Narita the next morning.  Hotel price in Japan vary per day of the week.  I paid double the price at the same hotel for Saturday stay vs. Monday stay.  Price seems to be higher near Tokyo station than other areas, but if you pick business budget hotel, price is reasonable. I find Tokyo hotel is much more reasonable than New York, Boston, Seattle jus to name a few.  I paid the most $150 per night or as low as $60 at the same hotel.  Clean, new, safe but the only down side is its size, small like cruise ship cabin.