Cruise Critic Community

We're close enough to our cruise that RCCL is starting to send out cruise docs to folks -- apparently, ours were received by our travel agent, who wants to mail them to us. 

That would be fantastic... except we're overseas in the Military Mail system, and our timeframe for getting our mail (especially letter mail) is not great. Like, really not; 6-8 weeks on average, and we're about 45 days out from setting sail, plus various expected slow-downs for the upcoming holiday season and our host country's customs clearance folks striking and God only knows what-all else. 

So uh. What happens if she mails them and they don't arrive before we leave? Are we able to board with our reservation and our passports and our completed info in the RCCL app, or do we HAVE to have these documents in paper copy? If we absolutely have to have them, I'll have them sent to my mom and have her DHL International Overnight them to me (which should, between customs and our mail room, get them to me some time next week...) but geeze, that's spendy! If digital will do just as well, maybe we could do that?

1 minute ago, SimplyMarvie said:

We're close enough to our cruise that RCCL is starting to send out cruise docs to folks -- apparently, ours were received by our travel agent, who wants to mail them to us. 

That would be fantastic... except we're overseas in the Military Mail system, and our timeframe for getting our mail (especially letter mail) is not great. Like, really not; 6-8 weeks on average, and we're about 45 days out from setting sail, plus various expected slow-downs for the upcoming holiday season and our host country's customs clearance folks striking and God only knows what-all else. 

So uh. What happens if she mails them and they don't arrive before we leave? Are we able to board with our reservation and our passports and our completed info in the RCCL app, or do we HAVE to have these documents in paper copy? If we absolutely have to have them, I'll have them sent to my mom and have her DHL International Overnight them to me (which should, between customs and our mail room, get them to me some time next week...) but geeze, that's spendy! If digital will do just as well, maybe we could do that?

You should be able to access them in your cruise planner and print them yourself.  But otherwise you can just show up with your passport and they will look you up on the manifest.

As far as I know all you need is your Set Sail Pass and your passport.  Have not printed any cruise docs in 10 or more years.  Waste of paper.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

But otherwise you can just show up with your passport and they will look you up on the manifest.

This.  I haven't received or printed the paper docs in years.

You DO NOT need your printed cruise docs.  If you want them bad enough, if you have access to a pc and a printer, go to the Royal Caribbean site, log in, and you can print them yourself. Actually a waste of paper.

Your passports and completed Royal Caribbean Ap is really all you need.

All you need to do is check in on you app.

Show up with passport and app in hand and off you go.

10 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

If digital will do just as well, maybe we could do that?

If you really want to have them, e-mail the .pdf of the edocs (which should have come out today for your Serenade sailing) to yourself and save them offline on the phone. All you need in the terminal is the RCI app and passport.

Oh yay! Thank you, everyone, for the quick response! You've just saved me a couple of hundred dollars in overseas courier fees and a small anxiety attack. This is what I love CC for. 🙂 

Cruise docs (called eDocs.pdf on the page that displays the cruise) mostly have just a copy of the cruise contract.  Will also list ports, port agents, insurance and the onboard credit RCI knows about.  Worth looking at, but not printing unless you think it might not show up onboard.  Easy way is to keep a copy of the PDF file on your phone.  The only thing we print is the luggage tags but you can always get tags at the port.  Some cruise lines (Disney) actually mail out a packet but most now just have an online link to the file.  RCI file shows up about 49 days before cruise.