Sea Dog's Harmony "As If Live" Review Pre & Post with Food, Whiskey & Key,, Oh My!

Sea Dog

"THE SEA, ONCE IT CASTS ITS SPELL, HOLDS ONE IN IT'S NET OF WONDER FOREVER"  - JACQUES COUSTEAU

Oh do I love this sound !

I love sea days. I've got a full day planned so lets get to it. First up  the Aqua Theater show "Hideaway Heist." It was very hot but very enjoyable.

IMG_4754.thumb.JPEG.3d660b109df2d17f12d80092119d6740.JPEG

IMG_4759.thumb.JPEG.601e2d51fc0c7c1ec8c3152de02f809b.JPEG

IMG_4766.thumb.JPEG.445c7e301642333367c1b275ae41a5d3.JPEG

Zoltar say's he see's a Royal Kummelweck  in my future !

IMG_4770.thumb.JPEG.a5090e9f0d74b6b79519a70519a1e2e6.JPEG

And behold one of the greatest sandwiches ever!IMG_4771.thumb.JPEG.bc05ec90069c419aeb4b8e4f39d3b35f.JPEG

I've got  a good base in my tummy so know it's time to do some tasting!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

In addition to those you mentioned which are correct. The Park Cafe in Central Park is open for breakfast from 7am -11am. Johnny Rockets is open for breakfast from 7:30am -9:30am   and the Solarium Bistro 7am-10am. Windjammer from 7am-11am and MDR 7:30am -9am.

For dinner in the MDR you can get premium selections like Whole Maine Lobster for $29.95, Chops Grille Filet Mignon for $16.95 and Surf and Turf 9oz Lobster Tail and and Filet for $34.94.

All this information can be found in the Royal App. We ate mainly in the MDR for breakfast, but we also ate in the Solarium which was nice and quiet and less crowded.

Thank you so much!  I have the app and now see all the dining info, missed it before somehow.  Appreciate your help.

• Like 1

I'm late to the party so I'll mix several thoughts into one reply.  First...great review and great pictures.  Your 11 Pro Max is taking some great shots.  The Portrait Mode bokeh looks a little more realistic than the X.  Credit to the photographer also.

If you take videos (like it appears you like to do), buy the Osmo Mobile.  Trust me.

I'm a big fan of Spigen phone cases.  They provide nice protection in a slim package.  Doesn't destroy the sexy slimness of the phone (too much).

On 10/25/2019 at 8:06 PM, Sea Dog said:

I came prepared with bubble wrap to wrap my precious little baby so it would not break in my suitcase. If it does I will be sucking on my clothes for weeks to taste this fine bourbon.

Best line of your review so far.  😄

I really need to learn to enjoy bourbon.

Blue ***** Bar is a tradition for us in St. Maarten.  I own and proudly where one of the t-shirts.

Looking forward to the rest...

• Like 1

“ALWAYS CARRY A FLAGON OF WHISKEY IN CASE OF SNAKEBITE, AND FURTHERMORE, ALWAYS CARRY A SMALL SNAKE" - W.C. FIELDS 

1974129169_MastBarLiquor.thumb.JPEG.3d67d0a2670d4aefc2d3161456160108.JPEG

So there was a seminar and whiskey tasting at the Boot and Bonnet Pub on Day 6 our sea day. Naturally I got all excited as I am a whiskey and bourbon snob. So I made my way down to pub 20 minutes early only to find out there is a fee. Now get this, $20 for those with the deluxe drink package and $25 for those without. I promptly walked out. Why would I, after having the deluxe drink package want to pay more for tasting the same whiskey or bourbon I can get at any bar on the ship with my drink package? I suppose you are paying for someone to explain the difference between Scotch, Irish Whiskey, Canadian Blended Whiskey and American Whiskeys and Bourbons.  I say google it, teach yourself and then try everything to see what you like. Bourbon on the ship was the black sheep of the family.  The bourbon at most of the bars were respectful brands, Four Roses Single Barrel, Makers, and Buffalo Trace, they were far outnumbered by the Scotch’s, Irish Whiskey’s and Canadian Whiskey. More and more Americans are drinking bourbon and whiskey than ever before. Come on RC give the bourbon community some love. So I figured instead of paying for a whiskey tasting I would do my own courtesy of the deluxe drink package. I went back to my favorite bartender Toni and the Mast Bar.

Toni.thumb.JPEG.4579a3871cd43796d098434dfe456aeb.JPEG

Toni (sorry for the pic of your eyes closed. I could not see it in the sun) was my guide at the Mast Bar. Toni is from Romania a great guy who surprisingly does not drink. I guess if I  made a thousand cocktails a day you would not want to drink either. I decided since I had the deluxe drink package I would taste test different things I have not had before. The goal was to taste and not drink the whole 1oz pour. I wanted to have my wits about me.

1057680796_JohnnyWalkers.thumb.JPEG.3b8636af0efc14072f6eabd7185debca.JPEG

First up all the Johnny Walkers, a very popular line of blended Scotch Whiskeys. Red had a oaky smell. The Scotch presents a sweet, peat and smoke tasting experience with plenty of heat on the finish, but most pleasant. Black Label was more smokey tasting. Good amount of smoke without being overpowering, medium burn, tapering towards the end to some nice nutty and sweet notes mingling with the lingering peat. And finally in the Johnny Walker series the Double Black.  A slightly peatier whisky and casks that were more heavily charred. The result is a toasty, smokey finish.

And finally the Chivas Regal 12. It’s a very mild, very inoffensive blend with middle-of-the-road flavors. It’s quite smooth. 

904233805_ChivasRegal.thumb.JPEG.526890e1c26e3d7fb9b64433c39432c4.JPEG

Next up let's go to Canada with the Canadian Whiskeys then drop down to the American Blended Whiskey's

204433349_CanadianClub.thumb.JPEG.1bb591c3ec0eadf5043e73477bd4ebb7.JPEG

The ever popular Crown Royal

949645657_CrownRoyal.thumb.JPEG.913473c0ab668e0186ee7df6cf562f3d.JPEG

And to American with the Seagrams 7

1797280481_Seagrams7.thumb.JPEG.fc5d1928ba8546bf1d395782dfc49d67.JPEG

I was impressed with how light they all  tasted, but no real flavor to me.

Linda Joined me with a Kraken Colada. On a side note! Paper Straws. We brought some of our own straws but never used them. The paper straws held up just fine. No problem.

332478785_KrakenColada.thumb.JPEG.70973c7b4cec94fae7f6d6057261ab6c.JPEG

Well that's a wrap for this tasting Tomorrow we will dive more into Scotch. Time to get ready for dinner. It's formal night in the MDR.

• Like 3

FORMAL NIGHT IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM

I decided to go the no tie look. Please don't judge me 😉

IMG_4786.thumb.JPEG.e12d8b48eeb55a2e03d1834f6e3007e4.JPEG

It pays to make reservations for "My Time Dining." This was the line. We walked straight to the Manager's desk and checked in and promptly got seated.

IMG_4787.thumb.JPEG.041717350089efde3db267f8f1a4cc14.JPEG

Our Table as we had all week.

IMG_4790.thumb.JPEG.67d50b3507909633c46e69dcc15dcfe1.JPEG

Our fabulous waiter Suparlan

IMG_4791.thumb.JPEG.d809710812512264fc18c2317c9f6e64.JPEG

Tonight's Menu

IMG_4793.thumb.JPEG.a58060277bbacbf09ba76d1d3d385d0b.JPEG

Pre dinner ManhattanIMG_4794.thumb.JPEG.bcf05b660cdae23127eafe5302ae7c17.JPEG

Chilled Strawberry Bisque

IMG_4796.thumb.JPEG.9ec14862d2b8b7ed73523a0f28211880.JPEG

Prime Rib and Lobster Tail (Ordered Rare and turned out perfect. Remember the tip. Order Prime Rib 1 grade lower than you want it)

IMG_4797.thumb.JPEG.158197e4b6c6ace4c3457ad54ce2bbc9.JPEG

IMG_4798.thumb.JPEG.f6f0fa7dc50991a5be239abfed0e3532.JPEG

Had to go with the Warm Chocolate Molten Cake again. Love this.

IMG_4800.thumb.JPEG.bf464117afdab537d58f59577a257b28.JPEG

IMG_4801.thumb.JPEG.cdc429e3f8089fdf17154b41c77a1463.JPEG

Some pre Jazz/Funk in "Jazz on 4" before the show

IMG_4805.thumb.JPEG.e949e50e180f2dff4746d121d2ad0c5c.JPEG

Then "Columbus The Musical" in the Royal Theater. I really loved this show. Very funny and great songs and sets.

IMG_4808.thumb.JPEG.44956a12c002ae0239041a55205c9b89.JPEG

Then a nightcap in the Schooner bar with a classic "Old Fashioned" with Four Roses. I'm in my happy place now.

IMG_4811.thumb.JPEG.bf62a680330c8285677229148364db88.JPEG

Time for bed and we are greeted by this. Not sure what kind of animal but he's cool

460071529_TowelAnimal2.thumb.JPEG.f8fde8096a851939b678ae186be23339.JPEG

Tomorrow our last day at sea. More tastings and more fun. Goodnight!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

THE SEA, ONCE IT CASTS ITS SPELL, HOLDS ONE IN IT'S NET OF WONDER FOREVER"  - JACQUES COUSTEAU

Oh do I love this sound !

Me, too! Love ❤️ the sound, love ❤️ the quote!

The sunset pictures of you and your wife are beautiful. 

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Oakman said:

And I'm still deciding what to upgrade my perfectly good iPhone 5S to. Have been told by many it is an "Antique". But it still works perfectly.😁📱

You sound exactly like my DH. 😱😀 Did you have as much trouble giving up your flip phone to get your 5S as he did? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perfect match said:

You sound exactly like my DH. 😱😀 Did you have as much trouble giving up your flip phone to get your 5S as he did? 

No. LOL!!!! My 5S takes GREAT photos and works well. I just always feel pressured to upgrade. Need a more recent phone to use for navigation on our boat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midwestgal said:

I’d like to see if we could get 4 top one by a window....I should call?

email rcldining@rccl.com

I just did for our 11/17/19 cruise and got an eight top near the window. Marlene will probably be the one responding and sending your info to the ship....

With you on the Canadians (don't mean the Habs), but do sometimes pick up a Crown.

Waiting for the Scotches.  Never a fan of JW and locally the double black is way over priced.  Chivas can be ok in older aged vintages.   What was the Manhattan base?

Dinner BTW looked delish.  And smart dress with no tie.  Tip: Accessorize with a pocket square (white folded is ok, nothing fancy required) for a more formal look.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midwestgal said:

I’d like to see if we could get 4 top one by a window....I should call?

I don't remember seeing any 4 tops but that doesn't mean there is not a 4 top by the window. Email rcldining@rccl.com for your request.

9 hours ago, perfect match said:

No I've actually been a tech nerd my whole life. I love tech toys. I can't fix a car but I can figure out computers, go figure.

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I don't remember seeing any 4 tops but that doesn't mean there is not a 4 top by the window. Email rcldining@rccl.com for your request.

is that only for traditional dining? Or are you able to request a table for two by the window for my time dining as well? Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

With you on the Canadians (don't mean the Habs), but do sometimes pick up a Crown.

Waiting for the Scotches.  Never a fan of JW and locally the double black is way over priced.  Chivas can be ok in older aged vintages.   What was the Manhattan base?

Dinner BTW looked delish.  And smart dress with no tie.  Tip: Accessorize with a pocket square (white folded is ok, nothing fancy required) for a more formal look.

While rye is the traditional whiskey of choice, other commonly used whiskies include Canadian whisky, bourbon, blended whiskey and Tennessee whiskey. For my Manhattan's I stick with Rye. Usually Templeton or something comparable.

You are absolutely right and good catch. on the pocket square. I forgot to pack. It's not like it would take up any room right?

• Like 1

Just now, 37645 said:

is that only for traditional dining? Or are you able to request a table for two by the window for my time dining as well? Thanks 

That's what I did. I did make the request as I'm hard of hearing. Being a drummer my whole life has damaged my ears so I  made the request to a more secluded spot that would not be as noisy and I could hear my wife talk to me without me saying, what did yo say?....What?........I can't hear you?.....

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

That's what I did. I did make the request as I'm hard of hearing. Being a drummer my whole life has damaged my ears so I  made the request to a more secluded spot that would not be as noisy and I could hear my wife talk to me without me saying, what did yo say?....What?........I can't hear you?.....

I'm so with you on this.  Restaurants have become so LOUD these days.  You cannot talk to anybody at the table hardly!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I am a total greenhorn when it comes to cruising. What does the term 4 top(s) mean.  How far in advance did you book the table by the window for your wife and yourself ahead of dining?

1 minute ago, CruisingCrewsers said:

I am a total greenhorn when it comes to cruising. What does the term 4 top(s) mean.  How far in advance did you book the table by the window for your wife and yourself ahead of dining?

4 top is a table with 4 chairs and I emailed them about 30 days out of sailing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mtzionillini said:

Sea Dog,

We recently upgraded our 2 iPhones to iPhone 11s -

In two weeks we will be doing a distillery tour at Buffalo Trace Distillery -

We have b2b cruises booked on Harmony of the Seas in February -

Needless to say we are thoroughly enjoying your amazing review.

Great job!

Enjoy BT. Wife and I did the Hard Hat and Ghost Tours back in May. Great time. What a place!

• Like 1