Cruise Critic Community
lovedecruise

Am I correct with my understanding re the new drink package charges

Hi, am I correct in my understanding that the new drink charges, ($14 pd),  ONLY apply to perk packages?  In other words, if I purchase  any sort of drink package online, or onboard, this extra charge will NOT be applied.  The price quoted in my cruise planner is the final price I pay, and there won't be any other surprises.   Thanks, just want to make sure I understand correctly.

23 minutes ago, lovedecruise said:

Hi, am I correct in my understanding that the new drink charges, ($14 pd),  ONLY apply to perk packages?  In other words, if I purchase  any sort of drink package online, or onboard, this extra charge will NOT be applied.  The price quoted in my cruise planner is the final price I pay, and there won't be any other surprises.   Thanks, just want to make sure I understand correctly.

Correct however consider that a classic beverage package as a "perk" cost $14 pdpp vs purchasing the package on board at $59.00 pppd + grat.  Just food for thought.

32 minutes ago, lovedecruise said:

That is correct..

Cheers and bon voyage

27 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Correct however consider that a classic beverage package as a "perk" cost $14 pdpp vs purchasing the package on board at $59.00 pppd + grat.  Just food for thought.

Do the online drink package prices include the gratuities?

19 minutes ago, lovedecruise said:

Do the online drink package prices include the gratuities?

No, I don’t think so.  You can add it to your cart to check but I’m fairly sure it’s plus 18%.

The price initially reflects the cost per day of the package when you purchase the package the 20% gratuity will be added to your charge.

8 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Yes, but if you spend the $59+, you can get another perk in lieu. So the real difference isn't quite 59-14.

Also it isn't $59 in the first place, it is $59 + 20% gratuity...

So I guess that makes it $70.80 pppd vs $14 pppd, so whatever alternative perk you choose would need to be worth more than $56.80 pppd to make it a better deal...

This is really all this is about isn't it? The drinks package perk is considerably more valuable than the others hence the specific additional charge.

Do any of the other perks come close to being worth over $50 per person per day?

14 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Do any of the other perks come close to being worth over $50 per person per day?

No, but it’s the worth to you personally. If you don’t spend that amount of money on drinks, then the gratuities, which you would be paying, is an additional cost. If you’re Elite plus and above, you get free specialty coffees and the nightly HH drinks and these, together with your 2 bottles you bring onboard, may be sufficient, especially if it’s a port-intensive cruise. It’s all about the individual and what works for them.

As ever, the Elite perks change the balance on individual choices.

My point though was that if people are looking at the cost of the Classic Package as an alternative choice then it doesn't make much sense to buy that and pick a different perk.

Not buying the package at all and picking a different perks obviously could well make sense.

8 hours ago, gordiej said:

Yes, but if you spend the $59+, you can get another perk in lieu. So the real difference isn't quite 59-14.

It would not make sense to pay $59+grats for something you could get for $14.   Well, using X's math it might 😂

3 hours ago, mitz18 said:

It would not make sense to pay $59+grats for something you could get for $14.   Well, using X's math it might 😂

You are not getting the drinks package for $14 per day. If you select 2 perks rather than no perks, you will be pay more in any event and if one of the perks is drinks package, the cost of the cruise will increase by $14 per day.

You would need to compare the costs by factoring in the cost of the drinks package if purchased separately.

I had originally chosen the classic beverage package as a perk pre the extra $14 per day charge but was hoping to  "upgrade" to the premium non-alcoholic on board for an extra $4 per day.  Will I have to pay the new extra $14 per day charge because I am changing drink packages?  If so, will stick with what I've got and pay as I go for extras.

I put a down payment on an ABC island cruise prior to 10/10/19, via a travel agent.  Beverage package and gratuities, as well as a $300 OBC and refundable deposit were included.

Will I have " free"  access only to the basic alcohols, no specialty coffee, etc, or will we be able to choose from the premium package choices.  

53 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

I put a down payment on an ABC island cruise prior to 10/10/19, via a travel agent.  Beverage package and gratuities, as well as a $300 OBC and refundable deposit were included.

Will I have " free"  access only to the basic alcohols, no specialty coffee, etc, or will we be able to choose from the premium package choices.  

You'll be able to upgrade to the premium package without the new charge.  Upgrade price to the premium is $12 per day.

This is my first cruise ever (Liberty) and I am very excited, but I don't understand why both of us have to buy the same drink package when I don't drink alcohol but my roommate does?

1 minute ago, Robin6156 said:

This is my first cruise ever (Liberty) and I am very excited, but I don't understand why both of us have to buy the same drink package when I don't drink alcohol but my roommate does?

Are you on a Celebrity cruise you do not need to purchase the same drink package.  But if you are using one of the Bundled packages, you both need to make the same selection of perks and pay the $14 a day per person if you select the Classic drink package as one of your perks.

I assume "Liberty" is a Carnival ship...

I think RCCL makes both passengers in a room purchase the same package, because they don't want, for example, the husband purchasing the package and sharing all the drinks with his wife. Perhaps Carnival does too.

But apparently not Celebrity, unless you're choosing the package as a perk.

8 hours ago, Robin6156 said:

Because too many people would claim that and it's very easy to hand a drink to the non-paying person.  Thank the rest of us.  It still happens with people traveling in different cabins.

9 hours ago, gordiej said:

I assume "Liberty" is a Carnival ship...

I think RCCL makes both passengers in a room purchase the same package, because they don't want, for example, the husband purchasing the package and sharing all the drinks with his wife. Perhaps Carnival does too.

But apparently not Celebrity, unless you're choosing the package as a perk.

Royal Caribbean does want both passengers in the same room to purchase the drink package. However, If you call them on the phone you can purchase one deluxe package that includes alcohol and one refreshment package that includes everything but alcohol. Personally I prefer the drink package on Royal over the drink packages on Celebrity. Celebrity just makes it more complicated  with the classic and premium packaging. I paid $49 plus gratuity on Royal and drank whatever brand I wanted.  Celebrity's classic package comes with too many brand rules that change like the wind. Now the extra $14 dollar charge just doesn't make it worthwhile to upgrade to the premium package.  Even the price difference for the cruise between perks and no perks can be a huge difference.  You really do need a spread sheet to calculate the best individual pricing.