Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
AndyMichelle

MDR lunch?

Recommended Posts

It wouldnt surprise me if P&O were considering closing MDR for lunch especially on port days as Princess have done this for some considerable time. They also do a Great Britain lunch in one of the bars usually but it is only on occasionally and not every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I much prefer the MDR to the buffet and find the choices sometimes a bit different from dinner, the lovely veggie curries or lentil dishes for example at lunchtime.

 

As it is only a rumour I won’t concern myself about it meantime. How good was the source Andy?

 

Crap source, just a conversation on Facebook that Michelle showed me so I wouldn't worry too much. 

It just made me wonder how people felt as our last couple of experiences have been very disappointing. The only hot option on one day was a chicken burger, which I had but was horrible. 2 days later, the same menu... 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Crap source, just a conversation on Facebook that Michelle showed me so I wouldn't worry too much. 

It just made me wonder how people felt as our last couple of experiences have been very disappointing. The only hot option on one day was a chicken burger, which I had but was horrible. 2 days later, the same menu... 

Andy 

Now that is something I may need to complain about, on both Ventura and Aurora this year they no longer offered chicken burgers at the lido grill. In fact on Aurora they now only offered chicken thighs so not able to even make my own, without losing even more teeth.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope this is just an unfounded rumour! We had MDR lunch most days on our recent Arcadia cruise and there was plenty of choice - small plates, larger meals, a couple of sandwiches/baguettes, salads and a 'sharing plate' each day (that could be ordered for a lone diner if no-one wanted to share). The choices often included a spicy dish, fish and chips and one of the sharing plate options was a ploughman's.

 

I don't enjoy The Scrum at the best of times but find it particularly difficult as my mobility gets worse, even with help from the crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never use the MDR for lunch.  Much prefer the buffet and take our food out into the fresh air on the stern.  Also enjoy the Pizza grill on Aurora some days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many others, I hope it is only a rumour.  I would understand if they decided not to open it on port days though.  Lunch is a P&O weak point imho.  The buffets are very poor in comparison to most American lines I am afraid.  The Pizza isn't great and the burgers are really poor - or were the last time I sailed with P&O anyway.  Mind you, my waistline wishes they would do away with the hot pudding & custard every day 😁.  The burgers and hot dogs on Coral Princess in July were far superior to those I have had on P&O.  Are they still pre-cooking the burgers and wrapping them in paper?  As for the grab & go, personally I think it is more grab and throw...

 

Having said all that, in comparison to Marella cruises, the lunch options on P&O are haute cuisine 😃.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always enjoy lunch in MDR apart from a hot sunny day when maybe we'll tuck into a burger by the pool. Generally avoid buffett for breakfast and lunch although we sometime visit in the evening for a themed dinner when it never seems quite so busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thing we are all different.  Loads to choose from in the buffet.  Lovely Indian dishes, poppadums, great salads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Like many others, I hope it is only a rumour.  I would understand if they decided not to open it on port days though.  Lunch is a P&O weak point imho.  The buffets are very poor in comparison to most American lines I am afraid.  The Pizza isn't great and the burgers are really poor - or were the last time I sailed with P&O anyway.  Mind you, my waistline wishes they would do away with the hot pudding & custard every day 😁.  The burgers and hot dogs on Coral Princess in July were far superior to those I have had on P&O.  Are they still pre-cooking the burgers and wrapping them in paper?  As for the grab & go, personally I think it is more grab and throw...

 

Having said all that, in comparison to Marella cruises, the lunch options on P&O are haute cuisine 😃.

Totally agree about the burgers and hot dogs I find them inedible. Really surprised some passengers enjoy them? 

They are cooked too early and kept too hot so the base of the bun is rock hard. 

Yes, they are still wrapped in paper. 

Grab and go is OK, but I prefer hot food. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key is to ask for a bespoke creation lol. I hate tomato so generally I get a fresh cooked one. Holland America burgers are probably the best at see as they are all cooked totally fresh and to order

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Totally agree about the burgers and hot dogs I find them inedible. Really surprised some passengers enjoy them? 

They are cooked too early and kept too hot so the base of the bun is rock hard. 

Yes, they are still wrapped in paper. 

Grab and go is OK, but I prefer hot food. 

Andy 

On the odd occasion I have had a burger, I get them to cook me a fresh one without salad or sauce on it!  Re grab & go, although not generally picky with food, I have a problem with sandwiches etc as I don't like raw tomato, mayonnaise or pickle 😆.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

The key is to ask for a bespoke creation lol. I hate tomato so generally I get a fresh cooked one. Holland America burgers are probably the best at see as they are all cooked totally fresh and to order

Its the same on Princess - but also (as I suspect is the case with HAL) the actual product is also a much better quality to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burgers and hot dogs? Is that really what people are eating onboard P&O these days?

 

How things have changed. Just one of the reasons we like the MDR. Civilised restaurant with civilised food.

 

No wonder there's such a major problem with diabetes in the UK now if burgers and hot dogs have replaced healthier food and added to serious obesity problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Burgers and hot dogs? Is that really what people are eating onboard P&O these days?

 

How things have changed. Just one of the reasons we like the MDR. Civilised restaurant with civilised food.

 

No wonder there's such a major problem with diabetes in the UK now if burgers and hot dogs have replaced healthier food and added to serious obesity problems. 

Oh come on Harry, if we all ate healthily, McDonald's etc would not be the massive businesses they are. 

As I said earlier, chicken burger was the only hot main option for lunch in the MDR on Aurora recently, so your theory of civilised food being served is just not always true. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly a rumour certainly not worth 30+ comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daiB said:

Clearly a rumour certainly not worth 30+ comments.

The post wasn't really about the rumour Dai, more to gauge people's opinions on what they thought about the mdr lunch. 

The majority of replies reflect this. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh come on Harry, if we all ate healthily, McDonald's etc would not be the massive businesses they are. 

As I said earlier, chicken burger was the only hot main option for lunch in the MDR on Aurora recently, so your theory of civilised food being served is just not always true. 

Andy 

I take your point entirely,  Andy, though Azura and Ventura lunches have been very good and pretty much burger free. So far.  

 

Maybe things are better on Cunard,  but I think I'd be paying a lot more for a suite!

 

Non cruising holidays are looking ever more attractive as P&O is dumbed down by its American paymasters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I take your point entirely,  Andy, though Azura and Ventura lunches have been very good and pretty much burger free. So far.  

 

Maybe things are better on Cunard,  but I think I'd be paying a lot more for a suite!

 

Non cruising holidays are looking ever more attractive as P&O is dumbed down by its American paymasters. 

I googled sample menus and they look great, nothing like what was on offer on our last 2 Aurora cruises. 

No wonder it was so poorly attended. 

I don't mind a bit of dumbing down for the odd burger, but would just prefer a reasonable amount of choice so we could enjoy the mdr at lunchtime. 

Andy 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Burgers and hot dogs? Is that really what people are eating onboard P&O these days?

 

How things have changed. Just one of the reasons we like the MDR. Civilised restaurant with civilised food.

 

No wonder there's such a major problem with diabetes in the UK now if burgers and hot dogs have replaced healthier food and added to serious obesity problems. 

I first cruised with P&O in 1997 aboard Victoria, where the 'buffet' was the Lido Restaurant, which was semi open-air and had to be set up every day.  If I recall rightly, burgers were available then as an alternative - as they are today.  There are of course many other options including healthy salads.  But perhaps you were just being provocative... 😃.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I googled sample menus and they look great, nothing like what was on offer on our last 2 Aurora cruises. 

No wonder it was so poorly attended. 

I don't mind a bit of dumbing down for the odd burger, but would just prefer a reasonable amount of choice so we could enjoy the mdr at lunchtime. 

Andy 

 

Oh dear, we are going on Aurora next month.  It has been a while since we were on her, still I suppose it is better to be on a cruise even if the MDR lunch is not quite so good than to be stuck at home watching the rain and listening to parliament in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

...Non cruising holidays are looking ever more attractive as P&O is dumbed down by its American paymasters. 

Maybe Azamara, Oceania, Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn might be more to your taste cruise-wise? You pay your money and take your choice - of which there is plenty for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

The post wasn't really about the rumour Dai, more to gauge people's opinions on what they thought about the mdr lunch. 

The majority of replies reflect this. 

Andy 

Andy you should know people will make it about the rumour and pass it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I googled sample menus and they look great, nothing like what was on offer on our last 2 Aurora cruises. 

No wonder it was so poorly attended. 

I don't mind a bit of dumbing down for the odd burger, but would just prefer a reasonable amount of choice so we could enjoy the mdr at lunchtime. 

Andy 

 

I'm surprised, as when I was on Aurora back in April the food in the MDR was far better than that. Maybe there's been a change in the head chef since I was last on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't worry me just have a sandwich in the room, or soup, or something simple..

 

However I  looked on FAQs , "can I see an example of menu", to see what the lunch menus were like. Examples of every menu but no lunch menu to be found

 

Perhaps Andy's  source was better than he thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, simonpjd said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if P&O copied Cunard and did pub lunches in the Red Lion or similar. Not many choices but all yummy.

fishnchips

chicken tikka masala

steak kidney pudding 

ploughmans

 

and a couple more I cannot remember.

served 12 to 2.

 

Yes, Princess have a similar concept as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...