Cruise Critic Community
BuckeyeMark

College football on the Explorer?

Saw the post about CruiseSat coming to various ships but I'm on the Explorer next month the Saturday night of the big Penn State-Ohio State showdown.  Is that going to be shown on board ship?  If so will it be somewhere that is smoke free?  What's your experience with college fb on RCI?

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Saw the post about CruiseSat coming to various ships but I'm on the Explorer next month the Saturday night of the big Penn State-Ohio State showdown.  Is that going to be shown on board ship?  If so will it be somewhere that is smoke free?  What's your experience with college fb on RCI?

Championship Games or high ranking nationally Televised more likely but cant show all Games. If say World Series on same time thats more likely anyway. Record it, or livestream on your Computer

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Championship Games or high ranking nationally Televised more likely but cant show all Games. If say World Series on same time thats more likely anyway. Record it, or livestream on your Computer

Barring a crazy streak of rained out/postponed games, the World Series will be over by next month.

8 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

...   What's your experience with college fb on RCI?

They may show a game, but you won't be able to choose which one.

Does your cable provider allow you to stream programming through wifi?  We have Optimum and dd with FIOS uses our account to stream channels not in her package.

I feel your pain; luckily we get back the day before the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party (UGA-UF rivalry game). I'd try finding out if you'd be able to stream the game to your phone or a laptop. Unlucky you're going to be on Explorer pre-Amp because they're adding Playmakers. (May 2020.)

I can stream.  It's one of the benefits of Direct TV.  Now whether it will work or not is the question because that can be kind of iffy sometimes.  Maybe the captain will be a college fb fan and I can get him to put the game on the big screen!

42 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I can stream.  It's one of the benefits of Direct TV.  Now whether it will work or not is the question because that can be kind of iffy sometimes.  Maybe the captain will be a college fb fan and I can get him to put the game on the big screen!

Here's hoping! We are on the same sailing. Penn State fans though. 😝

10 minutes ago, lisa6191 said:

Here's hoping! We are on the same sailing. Penn State fans though. 😝

With you in spirit lisa.  Two of our daughters graduated PSU.  Loved Happy Valley, the campus and the spirit.

Just realized Maryland plays Iowa, Wisconsin and Purdue, all of which are typically good games, while I'm on the Explorer in January. Aside from the NFL playoffs on the one Sunday I'm onboard, I can't think of anything else that would take prominence in the world of sports ... do you think there's any chance they will have college basketball available? I won't be heartbroken if I can't see the games, just wondering if I should bring some Terps t-shirts for the trip. I know this thread is about football, but I figured it was worth a shot

3 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

Just realized Maryland plays Iowa, Wisconsin and Purdue, all of which are typically good games, while I'm on the Explorer in January. Aside from the NFL playoffs on the one Sunday I'm onboard, I can't think of anything else that would take prominence in the world of sports ... do you think there's any chance they will have college basketball available? I won't be heartbroken if I can't see the games, just wondering if I should bring some Terps t-shirts for the trip. I know this thread is about football, but I figured it was worth a shot

Yes, there's a chance they would have college basketball, but if so, you are unlikely to have a  choice of the games they show.

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, there's a chance they would have college basketball, but if so, you are unlikely to have a  choice of the games they show.

i was wondering the same thing. My kentucky wildcats play three games while we are on the explorer in jan and while i know that there are alot of uk fans on every cruise that we have been on, i just hope that some of the games will be televised somewhere on the ship....go big blue??????????????

3 hours ago, retired dude said:

i was wondering the same thing. My kentucky wildcats play three games while we are on the explorer in jan and while i know that there are alot of uk fans on every cruise that we have been on, i just hope that some of the games will be televised somewhere on the ship....go big blue??????????????

I'd look into streaming those games.

Here's the deal on sports on the Explorer:

* you will ask everybody - cruise directors, bartenders, the guys at the Tavern - and they all give you different answers, or no answer because they don't understand American football anyway.

* the boat does get ESPN which makes you hopeful but mostly it shows ESPN cricket, which will drive you insane.

* the ship can get other channels though - so Thursday night there was Fox showing the NFL game.  one of the channels in your room is "Prime One' which seems to me "whatever we want to put on there but mostly we recycle stuff from Red Bull on their daredevil athletes all day."

* the real reason this is such a mystery and a hassle is that RCL has to pay rights fees to show games.  finally a tech told us this.  "Will we see the Penn State-Ohio State game?"  "Maybe.  If they paid for it."  Fees for big events, like the Super Bowl, can range up to $50K he said!  So Saturday came and on the Prime One channel there was two minor college teams playing (Kansas, I think) and then in the 3:00 hour there was Texas and Baylor.  that's it.  no other games.  

* what's frustrating is that someone at HQ paid for those games so just go ahead and tell lus what you bought so we don't get our hopes up.  

* all of this will change in March when they redo the boat's entertainment/TV systems.  there's a rumor we'll get REAL espn!