Proofreader needed

I find my computer decides it knows what my next word is and doesn't accept my input.  They create awful words and most don't even resemble what I have typed in. I find I have to read it several times.

The computers also butcher names to what they think it should be. I had to input and correct my first name  many times. The computer didn't like my birth certificate version   "  Sali  ". It always put in  "Sally " ! I mumbled and grumbled all the times I had to change it. Happily  the computer now embraces " Sali  " !!!  

If the website needs a proofreader, let’s not even start with Princess Patter.  My red pen that circles errors gets a real workout.  No prizes for guessing my occupation before retirement. Lol

I agree. My cruise to Japan , 15 March 2020 has the wrong map for the cruise.I have tried to tell them but it’s still there. What would happen if some one booked for the itinerary shown on the included map. It shows going to Taiwan instead of Japanese ports.

Sloppy....but princess is not the only one that puts out info full of grammar and spelling mistakes. How long does it take for one or two people to proof read before printing? 

It's one thing to miss a few mistakes in a casual email but when you are printing something for thousands of people to read why not get it right?

Just shows a lack of pride and/or professionalism which seems to be disappearing from many corporations/individuals these days.  My old english teacher would not be amused.

2 hours ago, dockman said:

Sloppy....but princess is not the only one that puts out info full of grammar and spelling mistakes. How long does it take for one or two people to proof read before printing? 

It's one thing to miss a few mistakes in a casual email but when you are printing something for thousands of people to read why not get it right?

Just shows a lack of pride and/or professionalism which seems to be disappearing from many corporations/individuals these days.  My old english teacher would not be amused.

Agree. I see this in our local print newspaper far too often and think I just might have a post-retirement career in proof reading. :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We are not allowed to correct spelling and grammar errors on CC.  I understand why but it would be fun if we could.

DON

I wasn't aware of that.  I just had somebody trying to send a condescending reply to me on another thread and the reply was not really intelligible.  Before my retirement, I would sometimes tell subordinates that I could have eaten a bowl of Alfa-Bits and coughed up a better sentence...  I guess I'd better not tell that to the poster on the other thread...I wouldn't want to get into trouble or offend somebody.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, Orangefan said:

I find my computer decides it knows what my next word is and doesn't accept my input.  They create awful words and most don't even resemble what I have typed in. I find I have to read it several times.

The computers also butcher names to what they think it should be. I had to input and correct my first name  many times. The computer didn't like my birth certificate version   "  Sali  ". It always put in  "Sally " ! I mumbled and grumbled all the times I had to change it. Happily  the computer now embraces " Sali  " !!!  

It’s even worse when using the phone for CC. The font is so small that you don’t even notice that the phone put words into your mouth until you post. I’m constantly editing.

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I wasn't aware of that.  I just had somebody trying to send a condescending reply to me on another thread and the reply was not really intelligible.  Before my retirement, I would sometimes tell subordinates that I could have eaten a bowl of Alfa-Bits and coughed up a better sentence...  I guess I'd better not tell that to the poster on the other thread...I wouldn't want to get into trouble or offend somebody.

This is from their guidelines -

"Our members are from all walks of life.  They belong to different faiths, religions and nationalities.  Their level of education may differ than yours, or English may be their second language.  Please exhibit tolerance of the posting styles, language and grammar of members.  Posts that point out typos, grammatical errors or anything that could embarrass someone aren't allowed -- are a waste of everyone's time -- and will be removed from the community."

DON

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

This is from their guidelines -

"Our members are from all walks of life.  They belong to different faiths, religions and nationalities.  Their level of education may differ than yours, or English may be their second language.  Please exhibit tolerance of the posting styles, language and grammar of members.  Posts that point out typos, grammatical errors or anything that could embarrass someone aren't allowed -- are a waste of everyone's time -- and will be removed from the community."

DON

1.   How can we embarrass someone on here when everything is anonymous?

2.  When someone is writing something so unintelligible that another poster wants to know what they are "babbling about" it certainly affects the value of their opinion.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

1.   How can we embarrass someone on here when everything is anonymous?

2.  When someone is writing something so unintelligible that another poster wants to know what they are "babbling about" it certainly affects the value of their opinion.

Frankie goes to Hollywood ... Relax , don't do it .. it's just a forum ... shaker of salt

10 hours ago, joepeka said:

Agree. I see this in our local print newspaper far too often and think I just might have a post-retirement career in proof reading. :classic_biggrin:

I think newspapers have started to use spell checkers and as long as it is a real word, it passes the check. A human could spot that a word makes no sense in the context of the sentence, but humans cost more than software.