Taking dogs to NYC

DavidCottingham

Hi everyone,

I'm emigrating to the USA (NYC) from UK (Southampton) via QM2! I'm taking my two dogs with me in the kennels. I keep finding different information regarding the rabies vaccination and when it should be done... I was hoping someone that has done this before could give me some clarity. 

I have seen that because the U.K is rabies free that I dont need a rabies certificate but I doubt this. I have also read that it should be done 6 months - 14 days prior to arrival in NYC or 1 year - 21 days prior etc etc. Does anyone know which it is?

Thanks in advance

This is certainly something you want to get right or your dogs may be denied entry. While you may get the correct information here on CC, I would recommend you verify that information directly yourself. I once saw a man arrive at LAX with a dog from Australia, following a 14 hour flight, and be denied entry because he did not have all of the proper documentation. He and his dog ended up flying directly back to Australia, a 15 hour flight.

I recommend you go to www.CDC.gov. this is the web site for the U.S. Center for Disease Control. In addition to the Federal regulations, the site will also link you to New York state regulations. Individual state regulations can sometimes be more rigorous  than Federal. 

Good luck,

Jack

• Like 1

as others have said seek advice from the proper authority's US,BRITAIN ,NY and cunard. My wife and i have an animal hospital and reticently provided some necessary paper work for a client that was relocating to Hawaii. Be advised some certificates can have a 30 day expiration date with some authority's . Ironic the owner said it was much easier to ship his collection of firearms that his dogs.         

• Like 1

Hi, if your final destination is NY, you will want to review the importation requirements for NY, which does require rabies vaccination for animals over 3 months. A certificate of veterinary inspection is also required and issued within 30 days of entry. Pet passports are not accepted in NY. 

I will note the CDC and the USDA does not require rabies vaccination to enter the country, as you are coming from the UK, which is considered rabies free, so this makes it confusing. If NY is not your final destination, than you will want to review the state's importation requirements to verify what documents are required. 

Website: agriculture.ny.gov/AI/import_export/Companion_Animals.pdf 

Edited by tilournextadventure
Added for clarity

The rabies injection needs to be valid - the three year ones are accepted by NY state now so the old “within a year of arrival” advice is wrong - and it needs to be at least 21 days prior to your sailing date.  If you don’t have a microchip, get this done before the injection.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:31 PM, tilournextadventure said:

Hi, if your final destination is NY, you will want to review the importation requirements for NY, which does require rabies vaccination for animals over 3 months. A certificate of veterinary inspection is also required and issued within 30 days of entry. Pet passports are not accepted in NY. 

I will note the CDC and the USDA does not require rabies vaccination to enter the country, as you are coming from the UK, which is considered rabies free, so this makes it confusing. If NY is not your final destination, than you will want to review the state's importation requirements to verify what documents are required. 

Website: agriculture.ny.gov/AI/import_export/Companion_Animals.pdf 

I am just off the QM2 with my dog and your “pet passports are not accepted” is wrong.  I travelled both ways with my pet passport and no other documentation was needed.  Things are easier if you are a visitor since this doesn’t count as importation of an animal.  A rabies injection is however a requirement.