Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Twogaterz

New Year’s Eve - dining venue thoughts?

Recommended Posts

My first P&O Cruise for New Year (Ventura) with my adult (disabled) son and I’m wondering if I should book Epicurean for 31st December in advance  or whether to stick to the MDR and be with my assigned table for the evening? As I have a Saver Fare, I don’t know if we’ll be dining early or late until I’m on board either. I know that speciality restaurants tend to get booked up very quickly but is a Gala Night like New Year’s Eve worth sticking to the MDR for, or branching out and trying something different? Any clues on costs for Epicurean too? My son is also a bit picky! Thanks for any suggestions from all you regular P&O cruisers. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably stick to the MDR for special nights, because the menus do tend to be rather better than usual.  Not that there's anything wrong with the normal menus. 

 

However,  I can thoroughly recommend the Epicurean as an excellent high end dining experience,  with a bit of theatre built in if you order dishes such as Crêpes Suzette. Good menu, fantastic service,  lovely venue. Just depends how picky your son is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mdr is slightly different on New Year's Eve. 

Early sitting is 5.45 I think and lare 8.45, which makes me think there will be a bit more going on, hence the extra time. 

We have booked freedom dining on this one, mainly because we want to utilise the speciality restaurants, so may book the Epicurean for the 31st.

We have a habit of getting good table companions on club dining and feel guilty by not joining them for dinner so usually miss out on the select venues. 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Twogaterz said:

My first P&O Cruise for New Year (Ventura) with my adult (disabled) son and I’m wondering if I should book Epicurean for 31st December in advance  or whether to stick to the MDR and be with my assigned table for the evening? As I have a Saver Fare, I don’t know if we’ll be dining early or late until I’m on board either. I know that speciality restaurants tend to get booked up very quickly but is a Gala Night like New Year’s Eve worth sticking to the MDR for, or branching out and trying something different? Any clues on costs for Epicurean too? My son is also a bit picky! Thanks for any suggestions from all you regular P&O cruisers. 😊

We have done MDR December 2015 and Epicurean December 2016 new year's eve.

This picture was us in Epicurean in August 2019.

As a saver fare you will not get much choice in MDR.

My view is celebrate in style and go to Epicurean where the food and service is on another level.

We booked on the cruise Personaliser for New year's Eve and New year's Day night in 2016/17 because the previous year the restaurant was fully booked when we tried to book on board.

IMG_20190829_185420.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michelle has just told me there is no freedom dining on New Year's Eve, just 2 sittings with a gala menu. 

Apparently we won't be using the Epicurean, 'we' have decided to request the second sitting on a table for 6.

As much as we like our own company, it will be nice to share New Year's Eve with others. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really helpful information everyone thank you. Although the thought of dinner at 5.45pm is a bit grim (my son won’t mind though as he often eats that early!) As we will be at sea on 1st Jan that might be the day to do a speciality restaurant although you don’t seem to be able to pre-book the Glasshouse or the Beach House ( but maybe they’re first come first served?) I love CruiseCritic as everyone is always so communicative and helpful! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Twogaterz said:

Really helpful information everyone thank you. Although the thought of dinner at 5.45pm is a bit grim (my son won’t mind though as he often eats that early!) As we will be at sea on 1st Jan that might be the day to do a speciality restaurant although you don’t seem to be able to pre-book the Glasshouse or the Beach House ( but maybe they’re first come first served?) I love CruiseCritic as everyone is always so communicative and helpful! 😊

 

Yes the Beach House and Glasshouse are not bookable on Ventura. I have seen queues for the Beach House! Not for the Glasshouse though as it's billed as a wine bar that happens to do food and you just go and sit down. In the Beach House only a certain number of tables are set up so it's controlled how many go in at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

As a saver fare you will not get much choice in MDR.

Not wanting to be picky - honest - but just wanted to point out that people on saver fares get the same choice as everyone else! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Waju said:

Not wanting to be picky - honest - but just wanted to point out that people on saver fares get the same choice as everyone else! 

I suspect the point being made was that you don't get to choose your dining option, you will be allocated a dining time and venue by P&O, and the least favourite is normally second sitting club dining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Waju said:

Not wanting to be picky - honest - but just wanted to point out that people on saver fares get the same choice as everyone else! 

Sorry,what I meant is if you are on select plus the longer you have been booked you get first choice on dining time and table for 2.

The food is the same of course just you get what you are given with saver fare.

In 2015 we had booked select a year in advance and got a table for 2 which we prefer.

 

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect the point being made was that you don't get to choose your dining option, you will be allocated a dining time and venue by P&O, and the least favourite is normally second sitting club dining.

Thanks John that is exactly what I meant.

Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...