First Time on O Short Review: Civilized Yet Comfortable

ricka47

8 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Perhaps the "yet" should have been "and."  There was a couple on the ship that brought six suitcases as they were expecting a much more formal atmosphere for some reason.  So, what I meant is that the atmosphere on O is very civilized without being stuffy.  I don't want to bring six suitcases for an 11-night Caribbean cruise. 

So, yes, (to me anyway) there is such a thing as being civilized yet quite uncomfortable.  Especially as the cruise progresses and that tux just won't button any longer!

OK...thanks for your reply. I can't imagine bringing six suitcases on an 11 night Caribbean cruise regardless of how formal the ship was ! In fact we've been on a Caribbean cruise of about that length on the QM2 a few years ago...about as formal a ship as there is, and we may have brought a total of three suitcases for the two of us.

6 hours ago, ricka47 said:

We just completed an 11-night cruise on the Insignia in a B-1 cabin (6062).  To me, our experience can be summed up as civilized yet comfortable for my wife and I who are in our late 60s. There were few lines anywhere, no stress, and it's not "stuffy" in any way.  The food is mostly very good (better than the specialty restaurants on the mainstream lines) and the crew is great. 

Fellow passengers seemed somewhat friendlier than we've seen on other lines.  The smaller size of the ship may have played a role here.  Also, unlike other lines, there seemed to be no competition to see how well the drink package could be used each day.

Celebrity's Aqua Class had been our favorite way to cruise until this sailing.  However, the food in the GDR on Insignia was consistently better than what is found in Blu and certainly much better than in the MDR on Celebrity or HAL.

The entertainment was better than we expected as we've become a bit bored with the "singers and dancers" production shows on the mainstream lines.  But, on this cruise, the show band was very good (which is usually always the case) and the singers and dancers were talented and engaging as were the other guest performers.

The Insignia was the smallest ship that we had ever sailed (the Empress of the Seas at about 48,000 tons was the smallest previously) but that was a non-issue as everything that we needed was there.  I joked to my brother that it's like a real cruise ship only smaller.   She was in great shape and it was extremely easy to get from one place to another.  Forgetting something in your cabin did not require a major trip despite the teeny tiny elevators (whose idea was that?) on the Insignia.

Our cabin was small but nicely designed and, while the bathroom was indeed the smallest that we have ever seen on a ship, it caused us no problems at all.  I'm 6'1" and 185 pounds and the shower was tight but OK.

Two other things (besides the tiny elevators) had us scratching our heads although they are very far from deal breakers as we're already booking our next O cruise:

1.) RCI can have us aboard the Oasis class ships as early as 1030 and cabins available by 1300.  On O it is much later for both.  (5400 vs 650 passengers - go figure!)

2.) When coming back from the ship on a hot island there was no tent, chairs, drinks, or iced towels.

Thank you for your review, I was on the same sailing and hope to have my own posted in the next couple of days.  Overall we enjoyed ourselves and did not want to leave the ship yesterday!  

We also love Celebrity but finding we are booking Oceania more in the last couple of years. Celebrity are kidding themselves on with their present prices. They are not 6* and sadly never will be.

Rick maybe the reason Oceania don’t supply cold/hot towels and drinks at ports as there are no queues, just walk straight on, walk upto deck 5 and order cold water or juice from the bar, simples. We found their free internet fine for what we needed. I don’t see the need to have your cabin ready early as after all we are enjoying our lunch in buffet then sitting relaxing. I feel the longer you wait the cleaner your cabin is. 

Edited by Issyalex

6 minutes ago, bradpole said:

Thank you for your review, I was on the same sailing and hope to have my own posted in the next couple of days.  Overall we enjoyed ourselves and did not want to leave the ship yesterday!  

I'm sure that we passed each other somewhere during the cruise.  We didn't want to get off the ship either.  But, they looked under the bed and found us hiding there!

• Like 1

Azamara with the same small ships and lack of lines provides cold towels, ice water, and punch upon return which has always felt like a nice touch. This is not even close to being a deal breaker though.

Although, I would really miss the cool towels & ice water while waiting for the tender at a tender port on a hot day.

Glad you enjoyed your O cruise. I was especially glad to read your positive comments about the food, which we are looking forward to trying next April on our first O cruise.

On our last cruise on the Riviera this past July in Santorini,at the tender dock there was a crew member serving cold water or lemonade. Also, there was a tent next to the ship at many of the ports but I didn't see anyone using the area.😀 

The only sit down per se is Waves, where you order burgers, surf/Turf, Mahi, etc grilled to order and they deliver to table.   It does become crowded, so be aware.  The best solution is to board later (eat a lunch locally in area), and come aboard at your leisure later.   No fuss, no muss, no lines, just a very relaxing day!  

If you are doing  b2b or Grand Voyage, those folks have a plated lunch in either the GDR or Specialty restaurant, with invite only.    

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a sit down dining room open on embarkation day? We're not a fan of buffets.

Yes I am able to tell you, and no the Dining Room is not open on Embarkation day.

Eat before you board the ship.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Eat before you board the ship.

I think that's a good idea anyway.  Regardless of how good the ship food is it's not going to be the 'local stuff.'  Before we embark in Rio we're going to be having a special lunch on Copacabana.  

Ah, but you guys know Rio very well!  Not everyone does.  And for people flying in on boarding day, they are usually exhausted.

Back in May 2001 we were staying in Dover prior to boarding Renaissance's R7 (now with Azamara I think but am not positive).  While we were having breakfast prior to boarding we saw the passengers who'd just flown in arrive ... I've never seen a sorrier lot of passengers.  It reminded me of the time we were diverted to Bermuda rather than going into JFK (thanks to a blizzard in NYC) and shell-shocked after traveling for 24 hours I was sitting on our luggage when a woman in full formal attire came to me and asked, "Who ARE you people?"

It's easy for people who have arrived prior to departure day to dine on land ... not so easy for people who are just arriving.

Thanks Rick.  We leave tomorrow for our 1st "O" cruise.  Have sailed suites on X and NCL since 2012.  Full range of ship sizes.  It is going to be interesting to compare.

We are early boarders and have never experienced any issue with cleanliness of our suite.  They generally secure the fire doors and that contains 99% of the passengers inside the larger common areas, pool, food & drink venues.

It has been my experience the vast majority of cruisers are just as eager to disembark as they are to board.  Vacation is over and they just want to go home.  The crew doesn't waste any time and start cleaning cabins and suites just as soon as they can after the guest has left. 

3 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Thanks Rick.  We leave tomorrow for our 1st "O" cruise.  Have sailed suites on X and NCL since 2012.  Full range of ship sizes.  It is going to be interesting to compare.

We are early boarders and have never experienced any issue with cleanliness of our suite.  They generally secure the fire doors and that contains 99% of the passengers inside the larger common areas, pool, food & drink venues.

It has been my experience the vast majority of cruisers are just as eager to disembark as they are to board.  Vacation is over and they just want to go home.  The crew doesn't waste any time and start cleaning cabins and suites just as soon as they can after the guest has left. 

You'll have fun and we'll watch over the island for you!

Just now, ricka47 said:

You'll have fun and we'll watch over the island for you!

Thanks Mate!  Got the trash out for Thursday pick-up.🤣  You missed a shooting that occurred by Sadler and Jasmin about 12:30 AM, Sunday morning.  Guy was walking home from Flash and was accosted.  

1 hour ago, Mura said:

It's easy for people who have arrived prior to departure day to dine on land ... not so easy for people who are just arriving.

Totally agree.  I have to remind myself that I would never in a million years fly in on the departure date.  Never.  So, yes, that gives us some slack.  But "Google is my friend." I can and do find restaurants all over the world.  Here's a soup we had for breakfast in Hue, Vietnam.  Mmm 🙂

bon bo hue.1.jpg

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I can't understand Oceania's refusal to spend the minuscule amount of money it would take to provide ice, towels and water for re-boarding passengers. 

More importantly than a cup of water on arrival, when one is minutes away from his/her cabin, does NCL provide passengers with bottled water when they leave the ship when they may be away from their cabin for hours and need the water more.

That aside, I have cruise with O many times and more often than not they do provide water or even juices on re-boarding, especially when tendering as there might be a wait for the tender.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

More importantly than a cup of water on arrival, when one is minutes away from his/her cabin, does NCL provide passengers with bottled water when they leave the ship when they may be away from their cabin for hours and need the water more.

Are you just trying to be a wise guy? I'm sure you known damn well that mass market cruise lines don't provide bottled water to passengers at no additional charge....but last I checked the per diem rates for comparable cabins on comparable itineraries for the mass market lines are in most cases significantly less than Oceania's, so if you think you're getting that bottle of water for nothing you better think again.

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Are you just trying to be a wise guy? I

I just tried to point out that if I had to choose, I would rather get a bottle (or two) of water while disembarking than a cup of water on embarkation when I am minutes away from water.

In addition I never implied that I thought that bottled water was “free” - nothing is.

Lastly, while OP might have experienced no water or towels on embarkation on that cruise I can assure you that this is not an Oceania policy to save money.

In my 27 O cruises I have re-boarded more than just a few times and more often than not there was shade, there was water and/or juice and cold towels.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Have my first O cruise coming up on Nov 11, after only having cruised with Celebrity previously, once to Alaska and once to Europe.  Will be interesting to compare. On a per Diem basis the Oceania cruise is not that much more than I paid for the Alaska cruise on Celebrity last year, especially if I take into account the 3 excursion I get with O life, free internet, and free non-alcoholic beverages..

8 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Thanks Mate!  Got the trash out for Thursday pick-up.🤣  You missed a shooting that occurred by Sadler and Jasmin about 12:30 AM, Sunday morning.  Guy was walking home from Flash and was accosted.  

My wife heard about that while on the ship - not good for sure!

8 hours ago, carlsbadguy said:

Have my first O cruise coming up on Nov 11, after only having cruised with Celebrity previously, once to Alaska and once to Europe.  Will be interesting to compare. On a per Diem basis the Oceania cruise is not that much more than I paid for the Alaska cruise on Celebrity last year, especially if I take into account the 3 excursion I get with O life, free internet, and free non-alcoholic beverages..

Carl;

Most of We Oceania cruisers realize that per Diem rates on Oceania swing greatly. Ports visited, time of year, and route competition all affect that per diem rate. Just saying you’re comparing a mid summer month cruise ( Alaska) with an iffy late shoulder month cruise ( Nov11) would automatically make any comparison moot. Try comparing an Oceania mid July cruise to the Baltic versus any of their Caribe cruises, on a per diem basis, and tell me what similarities you find! 

Keep apples to apples.