Question for the ladies - evening shoes!!!

Trulee Scrumptious

Having spent all of my last cruise sliding around on the highly polished decks around the ship (even though I followed all the usual rules for new footwear - sand the bottom to rough it up/spray with hairspray etc.) wondered where you ladies found your evening shoes and how you stop yourself landing in untidy heaps all over the place.

(Almost managed to break my hip I fell so badly at one point)

Suggestion from my wife: buy yourself some shiny metallic or gold Doc Martens. Much safer, barely visible under a full length evening dress, but strikingly bold with a cocktail dress.

She has arthritis in her feet, but these are the safest and most comfortable footwear ever! A lot of admiring and envious comments too from the less bold!

Available at John Lewis and all good shoe shops.  A lot better than a broken hip and a hip replacement.

• Like 1

I have 3 pairs of almost flat glittery sandals in different styles. They go with long dresses or evening trousers, and the ones with a small heel go with short cocktail dresses. And you don't feel as if you're going to slip all the time.

29 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

I hate this fashion for marble flooring on ships instead of carpets! I now wear flat metallic leather sandals instead of heeled evening shoes.

Since I have to push a wheelchair I am quite happy with marble,  mosaic or pretend teak flooring.

My first few years of cruising were spent with high heels and very uncomfortable feet,  When I cruised in May of this year I thought this is the last straw - I looked around for some sparkly shoes with heels no higher than 2" - they are around, especially at this time of year.  I'm just back from a 30 day cruise on my lower heels and it was a delight to put them on in an evening and trot around the ship in comfort!  Just the tight waistbands to sort out now!!!

• Haha 1

oh no never thought about slipping 😞 i to have severe arthritis in my feet 😞 and wear heels (and low ones) 1 to 2 times per year for special occasions but sounds like i will break my neck....... i fall over fresh air bare foot lol. Might be a case of carry some flip flops around with me  on formal nights so just photographed in the heels then change .  

3 minutes ago, waughy said:

oh no never thought about slipping 😞 i to have severe arthritis in my feet 😞 and wear heels (and low ones) 1 to 2 times per year for special occasions but sounds like i will break my neck....... i fall over fresh air bare foot lol. Might be a case of carry some flip flops around with me  on formal nights so just photographed in the heels then change .  

I did a search after reading a recent thread and apparently flip flop injuries cost the NHS £40 m a year. 😯

We cruised a couple of weeks after I'd had the plaster removed following a broken ankle so none of my usual cruise shoes would fit.  I ended up in my evening finery with a pair of black patent flat lace ups!  My black velvet skirt almost covered them and I don't think anyone noticed them and they were all I could wear.  Now I have arthritis in that ankle so my foot swells when on board and I tend to wear a pair of almost flat, with a slight wedge black patent shoes with glitzy bow.  I got them on line and they were from Van Dal - good for people who need wider shoes.

Thank you all, plenty of food for thought there.

Had considered dance shoes, may go down that option - something under 2 inches without a 'stiletto' type heel, Cuban or something similar would probably work.

Otherwise flatter sandals would work with some things, but I'm not that tall so need a bit of height!

I also tend to go for wedges too, although not high. I have a pair of flatish sparkly sandals and a pair of bronze coloured ballet flats which go with most things. The only  problem I have when wearing  flats is that my long dresses are too long! 

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Have to say I have never slipped in my heels.  Still don't know where the shiny floors are? 

They are mainly on the more glitzy US cruise lines Jean, as said before for wheelchair users these are far more user friendly than carpets.

Your local shoe repair shop or cobbler should be able to apply non slip rubber soles onto your favourite shoes.

I think they cost about £6 a pair.

I had them put on to kitten heels and felt quite confident walking etc and on the stairs which can sometimes be

a little slippery.

• Like 1