2020 cruise

Hello.

I am booking a alasak cruise on Holland America for six people in three cabins.

We were looking at either 

May 9 or

June 13.

Glacier Bay Sitka Juneau bc kitechcan

I realize the few difference like June would have alittle more day light and may be alittle warmer .

But is there any downfalls in may 9 cruise that would make the June worth the price difference like in scenery or animals or stuff like this.

Would there still usually be snow caps on mountains in June.

Can you spot bears in May or too early.

Those kinda things because may is alot less cost  but don't wanna Miss something neat if there a difference in those short few weeks time frame.

Thanks for any help

I assume this is a RT cruise, so you won't be doing any land travel in Alaska ?  That's where you'd need to worry about vendors/parks being open for the season.  

Both your dates are way too early for prime bear viewing.  Bear-viewing has specific peaks in July, August to coincide with salmon runs.   These are the tours where you watch from a blind or bridge to see bears catching/eating salmon.

That's not to say you CAN"T see them.  People often report seeing bears along the road as they drive out of Skagway, going to Emerald Lake. Early in the season, bears are munching on whatever grass/greens they can find after emerging from hibernation.

There will be plenty of snow.  And plenty of daylight. The Sunrise/Sunset calendar for your May date in Juneau shows sunrise around 5am and sunset around 9pm, and you'll gain about an hr at each end for the June date. 

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?wadj=1&back=Search&city_name=Juneau%2C%20Alaska%2C%20USA&latitude=58.3019&longitude=134.4197&timezone=-9&dst_type=1&latitude_n_s=N&longitude_e_w=W&month=5&year=2020&time_type=0&wsom=0&btop=0&bbot=0

I like May. It's statistically not as wet, there is still plenty of snow left on the mountains, the locals aren't so tired of the tourists, there are not as many other tourists, and schools aren't out for the most part so fewer young kids. May can be cooler but it's not bad - I go to Alaska for cool weather anyway. The daylight hours during May will be longer than where you come from further south - during May in Juneau sunrise is around 4:30-5:00 AM and sunset is between 9:00-10:00 PM.  For what I like, May is the perfect month for an Alaskan cruise.  Good luck!  You'll have a blast!

Don't recall seeing bears in May or early/mid June, but since we co-exist with them it isn't  something we watch for.

As previous responses indicate, May can be drier, but still have snow on the mountains. If seeing bears is important suggest delaying until Jul/Aug/Sept.  

Thanks for the input.  Weather is most important but that could differ anyway so can't go by that.  Then I guess the scenery is next. But if I go to early is there a chance at glacier bay that I can't get as close in May but if ice?

Price is better in May and so would crowd. 

The animal life would be good but not as important as the scenery stuff .

On 10/25/2019 at 5:44 AM, SuperCrewBear said:

I like May. It's statistically not as wet, there is still plenty of snow left on the mountains, the locals aren't so tired of the tourists, there are not as many other tourists, and schools aren't out for the most part so fewer young kids. May can be cooler but it's not bad - I go to Alaska for cool weather anyway. The daylight hours during May will be longer than where you come from further south - during May in Juneau sunrise is around 4:30-5:00 AM and sunset is between 9:00-10:00 PM.  For what I like, May is the perfect month for an Alaskan cruise.  Good luck!  You'll have a blast!

Hi, we have been fortunate enough to have had 10 Alaska cruises always with Princess (we do cruise other lines but not to Alaska) 8 of these have been in early May and everyone unique for one reason or another but all of them great. Beautiful snow capped mountains, bears walking beaches, otters with babies on their chest surrounding the ship in Glacier Bay, seals pupping on an iceberg right beside our balcony, mountain goats, eagles, and oh yes whales. You wont necessarily see any or all of these things on any cruise to Alaska but chances are very high you will experience some. Did 2 in September and while equally wonderful, with lots of wildlife missed the mountains covered in beautiful snow, it was interesting to see the grasslands and changing colours of vegetation on the mountain sides. I believe you get the real effect of the cold while viewing the glaciers in May which was part of the adventure of going to Alaska. I concur with others if you have the opportunity to do the 26 glacier tour do it !!!!!! Lots of daylight either May or September as both close to the Solstice. Enjoy your cruise whenever you go you will not regret having gone to Alaska !!!!!

19 hours ago, Canuker said:

Cold in early May.

Go your early June date - or even later, to avoid the bugs.

I have never had bug problems in May or June.

I like the snow caps on the mountains in May. 

The OP is from Ohio. May will not feel that cold to them. It is not like they are from Florida.

We were on the Osterdam in May this year and loved it.  We just booked for the May 9th cruise out of Vancouver.  It will be a week earlier so will see how the weather is.  But we loved the scenery and snow capped mountains, we saw bald eagles and whales, but no bears.  We were told the day before our Juneau tour they saw a bear.  Overall with exception of some short term drizzle in Sitka, the weather was awesome.