Tales from the Journey Transatlantic 5 November 2019

uktog

Needtobespoiled and probably some others will be along shortly as we create a collation of all our experiences.  Some of our fellow travellers are already enrolee so they may well pop in with their starting stories very soon.

For us we are not Journey Transatlantic novices but every time it excites.  The final days getting ready will be crazy but the relaxation once we get there will be great.

The route to this voyage has not been smooth, we were caught up in Cubagate so like many onboard we are not doing the voyage we booked but have our lemonade factory set up ready for the off

• Like 2

I will be following along as I cancelled this cruise due to it dropping Cuba. I will be on a Celebrity cruise through the Adriatic at the same approximate time.

Would much rather be on AZ but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. At least the cost of Celebrity was half so that’s something.

have a great time,

Edited by ptrpanpens

We are with you, Uktog, but I have no idea what lemonade factory you have set up.  Seems like an obscure cultural reference to me.  We are in Montpellier France, trying to cope with the recent torrential rains that damaged the rail connection to Barcelona.  Happily we will head to BCN via Flixbus!  Works for us because we have copious luggage.  Will love our time in BCN and are looking forward to a memorable crossing, even though we have not packed a lemonade factory in our copious luggage.

Hope the weather and the civil disturbances in Barcelona clear up before we arrive next week.   Our itinerary was totally changed because of Cuba, but it is still a transatlantic so I am sure we will enjoy the crossing.   I hope the Atlantic weather cooperates so we don’t have any other changes.

6 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Your excitement is palpable, and you're still 12-days out!

I'm envious, and wish I had a trans-oceanic voyage scheduled. I love consecutive days of not touring. 

Us too, though when we started we didn't like sea days, now it's 'How many sea days?' when we're looking at forward itineraries.  We looking forward to our 24 night crossing over New Year - Mumbai to Cape Town with many sea days....can't wait.  We'll be following this in anticipation....

Suitcases came out today!  Ann I love your lemonade reference.  This has indeed been a bumpy road, but anytime I am on the Journey is a positive as far as I am concerned.  Looking forward to seeing you and Charles soon.

Holly

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Never having done a transatlantic in November, or at any other time.  I was wondering what weather is like on the open deck.  Are you always wearing jackets or can it be warm enough for shorts and t shirts 

Thanks

I hope to be able to include daily information like that on my comments (unless others post earlier each day) as we go along.  As I recall last year, some days yes, some days no.  It depends on what you are used to - I know the Floridians were never out last year, the Brits were out every day 🙂 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, tv24 said:

We are with you, Uktog, but I have no idea what lemonade factory you have set up.  Seems like an obscure cultural reference to me.

Presumably the reference is to the well known phrase...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!...i.e. show optimism in the case of difficulty (in this case Cubagate and the resultant altered cruise itineraries).

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Presumably the reference is to the well known phrase...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!...i.e. show optimism in the case of difficulty (in this case Cubagate and the resultant altered cruise itineraries).

Ah yes.  We are committed to making lemonade as well.  See you at the factory!

Following this thread eagerly, look after the ship please until our scheduled boarding in San Juan 30th November. Who knows where the UK will be politically (sorry, to non-Brits) by then? At least you can get away from it for a month or thereabouts!

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

Following this thread eagerly, look after the ship please until our scheduled boarding in San Juan 30th November. Who knows where the UK will be politically (sorry, to non-Brits) by then? At least you can get away from it for a month or thereabouts!

Assuming we get into Spain at the beginning!

Not being political but this has been one of the challenges for the Brits pre cruise, would there be any changes to entry requirements to Spain happening just as we tried to arrive in Barcelona.  I am expecting to enter Barcelona using the UK and EE Nationals lane, use my mobile roaming in ports up to and including Madeira within my home tariff and (heaven forbid) access EU Health Services using my EHIC card, however in the case of the latter, we do of course have a comprehensive travel insurance policy.

If things change, I will post what I discover but in the lemonade factory I expect it to be business as usual........unless...... 

• Like 2

We are first time Azamara cruisers on this cruise. Whilst we booked it for Cuba, we have stuck with it as there were no other alternatives in our opinion sailing at this time. My case will come out next week after I finish up working on Wednesday, with the usual beauty and hair appointments in the following days. Getting excited now, and looking forward to getting away from the awful weather we currently have and the boring news of that B word.

• Haha 1

Here it is - we booked it for the long 7 nights at sea. Key West and Cuba.  It was too late for us to rejig our other arrangements so stood by our new itinerary which we are now looking forward to

05 NOV BARCELONA, SPAIN

06 NOV AT SEA

07 NOV GIBRALTAR, UNITED KINGDOM

08 NOV AT SEA

09 NOV AT SEA

10 NOV AT SEA

11 NOV AT SEA

12 NOV AT SEA

13 NOV AT SEA

14 NOV AT SEA

15 NOV HAMILTON, BERMUDA

16 NOV AT SEA

17 NOV AT SEA

18 NOV KEY WEST, FLORIDA

19 NOV HAVANA, CUBA

20 NOV HAVANA, CUBA

21 NOV   MIAMI, FLORIDA

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Here it is - we booked it for the long 7 nights at sea. Key West and Cuba.  It was too late for us to rejig our other arrangements so stood by our new itinerary which we are now looking forward to

05 NOV BARCELONA, SPAIN

06 NOV AT SEA

07 NOV GIBRALTAR, UNITED KINGDOM

08 NOV AT SEA

09 NOV AT SEA

10 NOV AT SEA

11 NOV AT SEA

12 NOV AT SEA

13 NOV AT SEA

14 NOV AT SEA

15 NOV HAMILTON, BERMUDA

16 NOV AT SEA

17 NOV AT SEA

18 NOV KEY WEST, FLORIDA

19 NOV HAVANA, CUBA

20 NOV HAVANA, CUBA

21 NOV   MIAMI, FLORIDA

So, you get to Cuba because the cruised does not originate from the USA....albeit only Havana?

Edit Aaah, just realised you posted original itinerary, what is it now?

Edited by hamrag

We are currently just a few kilometers from Spain, in Collioure France to visit our cousins.  We came in a rental car since the trains are crippled because of a severe weather incident that severed the tracks.  Collioure is more than beautiful and we can taste Spain, but will not cross the border as the rental car contract does not allow that.  We will return to Montpellier in 4 days and take the bus to BCN on Nov. 1.  Imagining our time aboard the Journey.

• Like 2

I just on windy dot com checking the conditions in the Caribbean. For fun I looked at the Atlantic near Spain.

On the top right is a way to select for waves instead of wind.  At the bottom of the page are about 10 days worth of forecast. You can slide along to see for a particular day. If the forecast holds, your first couple of days after Gibraltar could be a little bouncy, followed by much nicer conditions towards Bermuda.

Edited by MNgardens