Cruise Critic Community
vtcruising

If You Were Offered A Free Celebrity Cruise, Which Ship Would You Choose?

If You Were Offered A Free Celebrity Cruise, Which Ship Would You Choose?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. If Celebrity called and offered you a free 7 night Caribbean cruise for 2 on any of their ships (excluding Galapagos ships) in the non-suite cabin of your choice, which ship would you choose?

2. 2. If Celebrity called and offered you a free 7 night Caribbean cruise for 2, in the Sky Suite of your choice, on any of their ships (excluding Galapagos ships), which ship would you choose?

3. 3. What were the most important reasons for your choice for question # 2 (which ship would you choose with Sky Suite choice)? You can choose as many as you wish.

• Ship's Size
    • Ship's Overall Design
    • Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge design/size/ambiance/concierge service
    • Luminae design/size/ambiance/service
    • Retreat Sundeck (if Revolutionized) design/comfort including enough sun/shade, bar/food service
    • Location of suite only areas
    • Sky Suite design/location
    • Specialty Restaurants
    • Complimentary Dining Options
    • Bars and Lounges
    • Entertainment
    • Ship's Unique Features
    • Number of Guests
    • Overall Staff Friendliness and Service
    • Accessibility
    • Number of Elevators
    • Availability of Library and Card Room
    • It is Revolutionized - I want to sail on a ship that is Post-Revolution
    • It is not Revolutionized yet, so more desirable for me
    • None of the above

We picked Apex because a free cruise on her would be the only way we would cruise on a “E” class ship.  7 days cruises are too short for us, and the prices are ridiculous.  We do like having a pool and bar on the retreat deck, but would refuse the deal if we got stuck in a SS3 with that magic carpet in our face unless we could upgrade.

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Any non Edge or Apex ship for me.

I love the S Class ships and am put off the E Class as I love the library and cafe Al Bacia which evidently are changed or deleted on the new ships. Having done 3 b2b’s on Eclipse early this year, the friendliness and warmth of the crew now makes it our favourite,  I only said Apex, because who wouldn’t grab the most expensive if you didn’t have to pay?!😂

30 minutes ago, Larwos said:

I love the S Class ships and am put off the E Class as I love the library and cafe Al Bacia which evidently are changed or deleted on the new ships. Having done 3 b2b’s on Eclipse early this year, the friendliness and warmth of the crew now makes it our favourite,  I only said Apex, because who wouldn’t grab the most expensive if you didn’t have to pay?!😂

I still feel that the S class ships are far superior to the Edge or Apex.  Everything that they did on Edge was about making money for Celebrity.  I applaud this as an RCL investor but not as a cruiser. As an investor I will make my money on the Edge.  As a cruiser I will cruise on the ships that are better for cruisers.  The Edge is shiny and new but not as functional as other ships.  Go for the glitter or for the better experience on S class!  I will not cruise on a ship that does not have a Sky Lounge like experience or small intimate venues for dining and entertainment.  

We are one and done on Edge.

More money for a cruise does not always pan out.

While on the Edge there were complaints about the Infinite Veranda AKA missing balcony.

We truly loved Eclipse and would cruise her again and again.

Edited by NMTraveller

25 minutes ago, Larwos said:

What changed in Café Al Bacio? 

Thats what I’ve been trying to find out!  I asked the forward bookings guy who was spruiking the advantages of Edge on Eclipse earlier this year and didn’t get an answer, but saw online that it appears to be dumped into the large eating space. 

I love the cosy site and atmosphere that is on the older ships. 

If you have definite knowledge on Al Bacia and the library, I’d be grateful. 

3 minutes ago, Larwos said:

Thats what I’ve been trying to find out!  I asked the forward bookings guy who was spruiking the advantages of Edge on Eclipse earlier this year and didn’t get an answer, but saw online that it appears to be dumped into the large eating space. 

I love the cosy site and atmosphere that is on the older ships. 

If you have definite knowledge on Al Bacia and the library, I’d be grateful. 

The library is no more and will soon be gone on all Celebrity ships I think..  Al Bacio is alive and well on the Edge and I’d be shocked if it is removed from the Apex.

Hope this is helpful.

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

The library is no more and will soon be gone on all Celebrity ships I think..  Al Bacio is alive and well on the Edge and I’d be shocked if it is removed from the Apex.

Hope this is helpful.

We loved Al Bacio on the other ships.  On the Edge we could not find a seat so we quit trying.

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We loved Al Bacio on the other ships.  On the Edge we could not find a seat so we quit trying.

When?

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Different strokes for diff folks. 

Our Oasis experience was a one and done....It just did not suit our cruise style. The nightly Diamond party was very good but food  in general could not compare to X,  and crowds were everywhere..even the adult solarium.

we would not go back on her or sister  mall ships even for free!.

I loved Oasis and Allure - cruised them when they were brand new and enjoyed the various areas to spread out and all the bells and whistles, but feel we have "graduated." Once we sailed on the Silhouette when she was brand new, we knew we were home. We loved the adult atmosphere (can remember a poor little 1 yr old out late in the fanciest restaurant on the Oasis at a table next to ours with clueless parents - she screeched the whole time and our dinner was quite unpleasant), the improved food (in Blu), many excellent specialty choices, the consistently amazing service, quiet areas and lovely lounges, no smoke!, etc., etc. The last cruise on the Allure they had Shrek characters parading around.

We are not the Mercury or M Class type - we prefer a bit bigger ship, with a more modern feel (and hate to admit it, but we aren't white glove service people 😉). We had the option to sail the Mercury (and I'm sure those ships were wonderful), but took a pass since we only can cruise 1-3 times a year, with our work schedules, and wanted to sail the bigger, more modern S Class ships mostly. Though we enjoy our M Class cruises, we do miss the specialty dining choices of S and E Class and the larger choices of venues to enjoy.

With the Edge Class, I like the modern feel and some of the bells and whistles (a bit like RCI in that way, though adult and not as gimmicky, IMO) combined with some very upscale, less crowded, relaxing places and excellent food, bar service and entertainment (not a production show person, but the music was amazing on our cruise in January). The suite life is excellent - the lovely Retreat Sundeck with pool, hot tub and bar is a game changer for us and the Retreat Lounge is gorgeous and comfortable (though less personalized from the concierges due to the large number of suites). I would definitely choose the Apex for a free suite cruise - hopefully, will even be better than the Edge.

Price is definitely an issue for us - will continue to sail E Class in Sunset Verandas with traditional balconies, unless we get a deal on a suite, but will also look at the Silhouette again (and we love the Reflection and will sail M Class for our FPC and great itineraries).

I guess I'm a bit puzzled about why a few people would choose the Apex or Edge, if free, though while essentially saying that they aren't going to like it, but will grudgingly try it. If I had a free cruise offered and was so sure that I would hate the Edge Class ships, I would choose my favorite ship and not have to cruise for 7 days with "the horrible furniture, crowds, noise, warm Martini Bar surface,  Edenists, greyness, no Sky Lounge, the eyesore of the Magic Carpet, etc.," but maybe that's just me. 🙂

I'm glad we have choices, as we all different in what we want when we cruise. X has 3 very different classes of ships to choose from, with some common threads, such as great staff and service.

Silhouette would be a strong choice  for us as well, esp post refurb, tried to get something  recently but Silho seems to be on South America itins...we'll see what the next  booking cycle brings.

7 hours ago, Oville said:

What changed in Café Al Bacio? 

Nothing! We just cruised on Edge and loved it. Al Bacio was as great as on any other Celebrity ship.

I can understand people being unhappy about the prices on E class. What I can’t understand is how many people have an opinion on E class based on hearsay without ever having set a foot on the ship itself. Sometimes I think the baseline is: change is bad! 😁 I bet that’s one thing the dinosaurs would have agreed on 😂

Edited by Miaminice

We pick our cruises based on itinerary and cost, not the ship.   All of Celebrity's ships are nice.  One of our best cruises was on the only Century.

12 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I would pick the Edge in a Sunset veranda.

Great choice....we hope.

We are trying that in a few weeks... definitely not for free but it was priced better than our usual AQ class ...and we have already done that on EDGE with the IV...(we liked it)

We wanted something diff. Never tried an aft cabin..and EDGE has the 4 mdrs .

Wish it was  free cruise!

21 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Also prefer M class to S class and have zero interest in E class.

Know there is no going back, but gee a nice cruise on Horizon or Zenith, Century, Galaxy or Mercury would fit the bill.  As long as the experience and service were like they were in those days.

You can still cruise on these old ships if you really want to do so.  MV Horizon and MV Zenith are operated by Pullmantur.  Also the other ships can be found under Marella and Mein Schiff.  So whats holding you back?

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Silhouette would be a strong choice  for us as well, esp post refurb, tried to get something  recently but Silho seems to be on South America itins...we'll see what the next  booking cycle brings.

Silhouette was definitely our favorite S-Class ship.  I think the service was exceptional.

20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You can still cruise on these old ships if you really want to do so.  MV Horizon and MV Zenith are operated by Pullmantur.  Also the other ships can be found under Marella and Mein Schiff.  So whats holding you back?

The question was what Celebrity ship.  Pretty simple.

What's holding us back?  Azamara, Oceania and Viking.

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

The question was what Celebrity ship.  Pretty simple.

What's holding us back?  Azamara, Oceania and Viking.

I know the question and I was just asking since you expressed fondness for these old ships which are still in service.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I know the question and I was just asking since you expressed fondness for these old ships which are still in service.

Yeah, but in service with a much worse pax to crew ratio since both those lines added cabins and decreased staff.  Unfortunately, wouldn't be even close to the same.  That is why we are slowly migrating to Azamara, Oceania and Viking, which offers the smaller ships and superb service like Celebrity once was.  Still sail =X= , but only when the price fits which is less and less likely lately.

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Yeah, but in service with a much worse pax to crew ratio since both those lines added cabins and decreased staff.  Unfortunately, wouldn't be even close to the same.  That is why we are slowly migrating to Azamara, Oceania and Viking, which offers the smaller ships and superb service like Celebrity once was.  Still sail =X= , but only when the price fits which is less and less likely lately.

Yes understandable.  We have checked Azamara but the pricing is always much higher.  But you do get Celebrity loyalty points.  We have been also looking at Silverseas since they are now part of RCCL.  But very pricey! 

44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Speaking of which, we were on The Edge a couple of weeks ago docked in Mykonos, looked out the window and saw two old friends. Century in its latest guise, it was our first cruise.

RX600395_32ms.jpg

RX600357_32ms.jpg

Edited by JBare

4 minutes ago, JBare said:

Speaking of which, we were on The Edge a couple of weeks ago docked in Mykonos, looked out the window and saw two old friends. Century in its latest guise.

RX600395_32ms.jpg

She looks pretty nice for an old gal!

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Same here.  I priced a Tahiti Cruise.  X did not have an itinerary that I liked.  Princess did.  Oceania and Princess were the same price.  Once I added in specialty dining on Princess it was more.

I have sailed X more than any other line.  That will change.  Smaller ships give a better experience.

Edited by NMTraveller