Trouble with infinity pool on Viking Jupiter

theduffys

That's interesting. We were on the Jupiter from 10/5-19 and once we hit warmer temperatures around Porto and Spain we used that pool several times and it was popular. Didn't see any problems with it or the hot tub located there. I wonder if the whole area will be closed or just the pool. We sat at tables by that pool several times for sail away which usually coincided with the opening of the World Cafe (6 pm) so we had sushi and drinks before going in to shower and change for dinner. Very pleasant....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that would be a great disappointment for us!!!! We love that area of the ship.  Our favorite place for sail-aways with adult drinks. I wonder what can't be fixed before your voyage.  Let us know!!

2 hours ago, deec said:

that would be a great disappointment for us!!!! We love that area of the ship.  Our favorite place for sail-aways with adult drinks. I wonder what can't be fixed before your voyage.  Let us know!!

Yes indeed!  We hope that whatever it is is fixed and/or maintenance completed as we board the Jupiter in Valparaiso on Dec 21st.  We also enjoyed that whole area of the ship.

• 3 months later...

Viking have notified us that for the N. bound Transatlantic Voyage, Buenos Aires to Barcelona, 15th. March until  5th. April 2020 the infinity pool will be unavailable because the  " essential " maintenance work can only be carried out at this time.  12 sea days out of 22 days in total, 4 of which are between Recife and Dakar when we cross the Equator.  The " semi outside " main pool will be the only option and Viking seem to think that this is acceptable.  There has been no explanation of why this situation has occured and the company seems happy to think that a " sorry " absolves them of the disappointment tthat hey are causing.

If anyone has an update or can share the current status of the infinity pool on Jupiter then I would be grateful to know.

Many thanks.

We, the op on this thread, were told the same thing before the southbound trip last Nov. There was much grumbling about it on our roll call thread. Then, when we got on the ship, the pool was open for the entire cruise. Hoping the same for you.

Viking have notified us that for the N. bound Transatlantic Voyage, Buenos Aires to Barcelona, 15th. March until  5th. April 2020 the infinity pool will be unavailable because the  " essential " maintenance work can only be carried out at this time.  12 sea days out of 22 days in total, 4 of which are between Recife and Dakar when we cross the Equator.  The " semi outside " main pool will be the only option and Viking seem to think that this is acceptable.  There has been no explanation of why this situation has occured and the company seems happy to think that a " sorry " absolves them of the disappointment tthat hey are causing.

If anyone has an update or can share the current status of the infinity pool on Jupiter then I would be grateful to know.

Many thanks.

Hi Marianne & Norm,

That was such a quick reply and thank you for letting me know.  I have tried to discuss this matter with Viking UK Customer Services but they couldn't have been more evasive and won't supply any details.  Apparently they won't  even consider offering  a " good will " gesture.  

However all that I really want is for the infinity pool to be open so I will be positive and hope that this is the case.

Thanks again.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:24 PM, Logos45 said:

Many thanks.

Hi Marianne & Norm,

That was such a quick reply and thank you for letting me know.  I have tried to discuss this matter with Viking UK Customer Services but they couldn't have been more evasive and won't supply any details.  Apparently they won't  even consider offering  a " good will " gesture.  

However all that I really want is for the infinity pool to be open so I will be positive and hope that this is the case.

Thanks again.

Viking still not providing a satisfactory explanation and seem confident that their " sorry " is enough to absolve them of any need to meet the reality of guest expectations.  Very disappointed that their guest relations dept. is prepared to treat guests in such a perfunctory manner.

Thanks Zitsky but this link takes me straight to the official Viking Ocean Cruises website.  I have been in communication with them and they state that I can cancel my booking up to 7 days before the cruise departs.  Oh , and the fee , 50% of my cruise price !  Thank you Viking.

6 hours ago, Logos45 said:

Thanks Zitsky but this link takes me straight to the official Viking Ocean Cruises website.  I have been in communication with them and they state that I can cancel my booking up to 7 days before the cruise departs.  Oh , and the fee , 50% of my cruise price !  Thank you Viking.

You are lucky you live in the UK. The penalty for US/CAN pax who cancel 7 days prior to departure is %100.

IMHO, you should cancel the cruise. It is not going to be the experience you expected and you just are not going to be happy on this vacation -- and why spend the money if you are going to be unhappy the whole time time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You are lucky you live in the UK. The penalty for US/CAN pax who cancel 7 days prior to departure is %100.

IMHO, you should cancel the cruise. It is not going to be the experience you expected and you just are not going to be happy on this vacation -- and why spend the money if you are going to be unhappy the whole time time.

That must be a specific offer by Viking, normal cancellation fee in that time frame in the UK would be 100%

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geosez said:

Logos:  Many people on this forum have found the people at “TellUs” to be more responsive, informed and gracious than the folks you’ve been dealing with.  Worth giving it a try.  They are also “official”.

I found them VERY responsive.  I recently got reimbursed for our bungled tour last month, and it took me a week or so to contact them.  

• Like 1

Seriously?!
You'd actually suggest that someone seriously consider cancelling a trans-Atlantic cruise because the Infinity Pool, which holds maybe a dozen people if you pack them in, is going to be unavailable due to a planned service?
That would be like cancelling an international plane flight because the in-flight entertainment system won't have a specific movie.
They could skip half the ports on a cruise and not be obligated to provide any compensation. They could have just not said anything in advance, and just notified pax once onboard: Sorry; it's out of service.

I'm sorry, this is one of the most absurd points of discussion I've read here in a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, just_dont said:

Seriously?!
You'd actually suggest that someone seriously consider cancelling a trans-Atlantic cruise because the Infinity Pool, which holds maybe a dozen people if you pack them in, is going to be unavailable due to a planned service?
That would be like cancelling an international plane flight because the in-flight entertainment system won't have a specific movie.
They could skip half the ports on a cruise and not be obligated to provide any compensation. They could have just not said anything in advance, and just notified pax once onboard: Sorry; it's out of service.

I'm sorry, this is one of the most absurd points of discussion I've read here in a while.

She might have been sarcastic.  Consider that.

• Like 1

[emoji378]You have seen right through me. It is ridiculous advice, like swatting a fly with a howitzer.
Touchè.

You're always so prepared with sincere, sage advice. I totally wasn't prepared for subtle sarcasm.

• Haha 1

Thank you to everyone who replied and my apologies to those who felt that their intelligence had been insulted by such a " minor " point of discussion.  My joining the forum was to find out the up to date information,  not your opinions,  so I shall leave it here.   Please do feel free to continue without me.

• Like 1

Dave ...I humbly disagree with you.  We have spent a lot of time aboard Viking Ocean Ships.  We are scheduled to do a TA crossing in March.  VERY few ports, so this cruise unlike most of Viking Cruises is all  about the ship and her wonderful amenities and crew.  I am so looking forward to long sunny days at SEA.   We enjoy the aft pool and outdoors ....we are always one of the people on the Terrace or pool.  One of the greatest memories on the ship was a "dolphin show" that went on for 45 minutes best observed from the Infinity pool!  We would be unable to cancel the cruise (don't have cancel for any reason insurance) BUT I certainly would NOT have booked it if I knew access to that pool and area would be closed!

To each our own!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deec said:

Dave ...I humbly disagree with you.  We have spent a lot of time aboard Viking Ocean Ships.  We are scheduled to do a TA crossing in March.  VERY few ports, so this cruise unlike most of Viking Cruises is all  about the ship and her wonderful amenities and crew.  I am so looking forward to long sunny days at SEA.   We enjoy the aft pool and outdoors ....we are always one of the people on the Terrace or pool.  One of the greatest memories on the ship was a "dolphin show" that went on for 45 minutes best observed from the Infinity pool!  We would be unable to cancel the cruise (don't have cancel for any reason insurance) BUT I certainly would NOT have booked it if I knew access to that pool and area would be closed!

To each our own!!!!

I'm not sure why you're directing your disagreement at me.  I merely commented that Peragrina651 might have been sarcastic when she suggested that the OP cancel his/her cruise.

But because I've been dragged into this:  On our TA last September, I went into the infinity pool a grand total of once -- because it was closed most of the time due to heavy winds and seas.  I didn't care, nor would I have cared if I had known in advance that the pool would be closed.   

Edited by DaveSJ711

Hi   " deec ",

Your " to each our own  !!!! "  comment resonated so much that I felt that it was still appropriate to reply to you as we , it seems, will both be onboard Viking Jupiter Mar. 15th > April 5th.  This will be our 1st. time with Viking and it might be cool to say " Hello "

John & Jan.