South America & Malaria medication

Anne2019

In January we will be cruising onboard QV doing the circumnavigation of South America. However, we need to take malaria tablets for the Brazilian part of the cruise.  As I struggle with new medication has anyone NOT taken medication whilst cruising in the Amazon?  Any help/advice would be helpful & thanks for reading this. 🚢

3 hours ago, Anne2019 said:

In January we will be cruising onboard QV doing the circumnavigation of South America. However, we need to take malaria tablets for the Brazilian part of the cruise.  As I struggle with new medication has anyone NOT taken medication whilst cruising in the Amazon?  Any help/advice would be helpful & thanks for reading this. 🚢

The UK does not have a direct equivalent to the Centers for Disease Control in the US, but recommend you consult the CDC and the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

Cruise critic is a great resource, but it is a poor choice for medical advice.  Particularly when it comes to something as complex and controversial as the prophylactic medications for Malaria.

This is a discussion best had between you and your doctor informed by experts in contagious disease.

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, this is definitely a discussion to have with your GP or travel clinic.

This website has some information.

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/34/brazil#Malaria

It's also worth posting on the roll call for your cruise.

I was just about to post the same link. They categorise the Amazon as low risk, and do not recommend antimalarials. But obviously individuals vary.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, this is definitely a discussion to have with your GP or travel clinic.

This website has some information.

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/34/brazil#Malaria

It's also worth posting on the roll call for your cruise.

1 hour ago, cougaraz said:

The UK does not have a direct equivalent to the Centers for Disease Control in the US, but recommend you consult the CDC and the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

Cruise critic is a great resource, but it is a poor choice for medical advice.  Particularly when it comes to something as complex and controversial as the prophylactic medications for Malaria.

This is a discussion best had between you and your doctor informed by experts in contagious disease.

Thanks.  I’ve made an appointment at a travel clinic 

• Like 1

We are on this voyage and have been on Amazon cruises previously.  We have never taken malaria tablets but do take other precautions - long sleeves, trousers and Deet lotion.

On one trip when I was preganant I was not even allowed to have a Yellow Fever vaccination.

4 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

We are on this voyage and have been on Amazon cruises previously.  We have never taken malaria tablets but do take other precautions - long sleeves, trousers and Deet lotion.

On one trip when I was preganant I was not even allowed to have a Yellow Fever vaccination.

4 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

Thanks for your response.