Jump to content

South America & Malaria medication


Anne2019
 Share

Recommended Posts

In January we will be cruising onboard QV doing the circumnavigation of South America. However, we need to take malaria tablets for the Brazilian part of the cruise.  As I struggle with new medication has anyone NOT taken medication whilst cruising in the Amazon?  Any help/advice would be helpful & thanks for reading this. 🚢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Anne2019 said:

In January we will be cruising onboard QV doing the circumnavigation of South America. However, we need to take malaria tablets for the Brazilian part of the cruise.  As I struggle with new medication has anyone NOT taken medication whilst cruising in the Amazon?  Any help/advice would be helpful & thanks for reading this. 🚢

The UK does not have a direct equivalent to the Centers for Disease Control in the US, but recommend you consult the CDC and the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

Cruise critic is a great resource, but it is a poor choice for medical advice.  Particularly when it comes to something as complex and controversial as the prophylactic medications for Malaria.

 

This is a discussion best had between you and your doctor informed by experts in contagious disease.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, this is definitely a discussion to have with your GP or travel clinic.

This website has some information.

 

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/34/brazil#Malaria

 

It's also worth posting on the roll call for your cruise.

 

I was just about to post the same link. They categorise the Amazon as low risk, and do not recommend antimalarials. But obviously individuals vary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, this is definitely a discussion to have with your GP or travel clinic.

This website has some information.

 

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/34/brazil#Malaria

 

It's also worth posting on the roll call for your cruise.

 

 

1 hour ago, cougaraz said:

The UK does not have a direct equivalent to the Centers for Disease Control in the US, but recommend you consult the CDC and the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

Cruise critic is a great resource, but it is a poor choice for medical advice.  Particularly when it comes to something as complex and controversial as the prophylactic medications for Malaria.

 

This is a discussion best had between you and your doctor informed by experts in contagious disease.

 

Thanks.  I’ve made an appointment at a travel clinic 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are on this voyage and have been on Amazon cruises previously.  We have never taken malaria tablets but do take other precautions - long sleeves, trousers and Deet lotion.

 

On one trip when I was preganant I was not even allowed to have a Yellow Fever vaccination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

We are on this voyage and have been on Amazon cruises previously.  We have never taken malaria tablets but do take other precautions - long sleeves, trousers and Deet lotion.

 

On one trip when I was preganant I was not even allowed to have a Yellow Fever vaccination.

 

4 minutes ago, Elephant1151 said:

We are on this voyage and have been on Amazon cruises previously.  We have never taken malaria tablets but do take other precautions - long sleeves, trousers and Deet lotion.

 

On one trip when I was preganant I was not even allowed to have a Yellow Fever vaccination.

Thanks for your response. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...