Luminae Question

John Artless

Hi,

Due to various cabin/deck positional availability on a cruise to Alaska on the Eclipse in July we may have to opt for a Veranda instead of a suite.

This is going to be our first ever cruise and we really had our heart set on eating in Luminae.

Is it possible to pay a surcharge and eat there (as non suite passangers)?

If so, does anyone know the surcharge  payable per person?

Many Thanks

1 minute ago, John Artless said:

Thanks for the replies. Have decided to go with a suite

Now looking forward to our first cruise!

Suite is definitely the way to go if it is anywhere close to your budget. We did a suite we luminae last year and earlier this year and have one booked for next year. Service and food is great, plus suite lounge also has amazing service and it is a relaxing place serving great drinks from morning till late at night. The only problem is you will never want to book anything else.

We alway cruise in Suites, and George C is correct about never wanting to book a lower class cabin.  My husband was hooked the first time we he saw the suite and met the Butler.  We love our Butlers and the services they provide. Have a wonderful experience in your suite and a great cruise!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carole2313 said:

We alway cruise in Suites, and George C is correct about never wanting to book a lower class cabin.  My husband was hooked the first time we he saw the suite and met the Butler.  We love our Butlers and the services they provide. Have a wonderful experience in your suite and a great cruise!

We are doing msc seaside yacht club in 5 weeks , be interesting to see how there butlers and perks compare to celebrity. Price is very reasonable.

If Suite availability on a specific deck area is the issue,  there is a  good chance that what you want may be available prior the next July.  You could then upgrade.   We have done this several times and have always been able to switch once a cabin in our desired area became available after final payment was due.  

2 hours ago, George C said:

We are doing msc seaside yacht club in 5 weeks , be interesting to see how there butlers and perks compare to celebrity. Price is very reasonable.

We just got off the MSC Seaside last Saturday, sailing in a Yacht Club suite. We were just on the Equinox a couple of months ago in a Sky suite. The butler on the Seaside was much more attentive. One big benefit on MSC is the concierge, he is located right as you walk in on deck 16. He handles everything including internet help and account problems. No waiting in line at the front desk or leaving the area to get internet help.

The perks are better on the Equinox as the Seaside didn't include prepaid gratuities ($12.50 p.p. per day) or the premium drink package. The drink package included all drinks, $12 or less, at any bar on the ship. If it's above the limit, you pay the full price not just the difference. I don't know if you can upgrade to the premium package or what the cost would be. The package wasn't a problem as the drinks are much cheaper and everything we normally drink, or want to drink was covered. This came at a price for 14 day Caribbean cruise the price was about $9,000 total, for two on the Equinox and $5,500 total on MSC. This was booked last December before MSC pricing started to climb.

We are totally committed to the Yacht Club now, it was our second cruise on it and they both just blew our mind. Now it's our only choice, except for a transatlantic, there are no other options as of now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

We just got off the MSC Seaside last Saturday, sailing in a Yacht Club suite. We were just on the Equinox a couple of months ago in a Sky suite. The butler on the Seaside was much more attentive. One big benefit on MSC is the concierge, he is located right as you walk in on deck 16. He handles everything including internet help and account problems. No waiting in line at the front desk or leaving the area to get internet help.

The perks are better on the Equinox as the Seaside didn't include prepaid gratuities ($12.50 p.p. per day) or the premium drink package. The drink package included all drinks, $12 or less, at any bar on the ship. If it's above the limit, you pay the full price not just the difference. I don't know if you can upgrade to the premium package or what the cost would be. The package wasn't a problem as the drinks are much cheaper and everything we normally drink, or want to drink was covered. This came at a price for 14 day Caribbean cruise the price was about $9,000 total, for two on the Equinox and $5,500 total on MSC. This was booked last December before MSC pricing started to climb.

We are totally committed to the Yacht Club now, it was our second cruise on it and they both just blew our mind. Now it's our only choice, except for a transatlantic, there are no other options as of now.

Value your experience...What was the suite restaurant like compared to Luminae and did you try the speciality restaurants?

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Value your experience...What was the suite restaurant like compared to Luminae and did you try the speciality restaurants?

The Top Sail restaurant is very similar to Luminae except it’s bigger. Loads of space and never felt crowded as only the 200, or so, Yacht Club guests can use it, not all the suites. Same great service. Food is subjective; I’m a beef eater and I found the Luminae was a little better. One big plus was that filet mignon was on the everyday menu.The boss likes pasta, chicken, and seafood and she preferred Top Sail. We ate one meal in a specialty restaurant, the Butcher’s Cut and we both had the filet. We found the same thing as we did on the other lines, the food was a little better but the service was on the slow side and not worth the premium paid.

I spent two days tying to find cruises for 2020, one early in the year and one in the fall. Word must be out on the Yacht Club as the prices have risen dramatically over what we paid. As much as we loved our two cruises on the Seaside, I just can’t justify, in my mind, spending that kind of money, with them or anybody else. Will continue to watch for a sale.

It’s like staying in a high end boutique hotel in the suburbs with the big city action only minutes away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

The Top Sail restaurant is very similar to Luminae except it’s bigger. Loads of space and never felt crowded as only the 200, or so, Yacht Club guests can use it, not all the suites. Same great service. Food is subjective; I’m a beef eater and I found the Luminae was a little better. One big plus was that filet mignon was on the everyday menu.The boss likes pasta, chicken, and seafood and she preferred Top Sail. We ate one meal in a specialty restaurant, the Butcher’s Cut and we both had the filet. We found the same thing as we did on the other lines, the food was a little better but the service was on the slow side and not worth the premium paid.

I spent two days tying to find cruises for 2020, one early in the year and one in the fall. Word must be out on the Yacht Club as the prices have risen dramatically over what we paid. As much as we loved our two cruises on the Seaside, I just can’t justify, in my mind, spending that kind of money, with them or anybody else. Will continue to watch for a sale.

It’s like staying in a high end boutique hotel in the suburbs with the big city action only minutes away.

Sincere thanks for your comments. We have until recently usually cruised twice a year with Celebrity, usually one world wide and then one ‘local’ from Southampton or Europe. Whilst we are finding the world wide cruises on Celebrity getting more expensive it is nothing compared to the rise in our ‘local’ cruise prices! As these are our ‘second holiday’ we just can’t justify...As there are lots of land based alternatives still at a reasonable price that adds to our dilemma.

We were put off MCS a little when we were moored next to one of her big ships in Malta and she was blaring out music last year but if we do want to cruise in the Mediterranean we need to consider some alternatives....I can see us looking for a special offer too! It would be nice to find a relatively cheap short cruise in the Yacht Club and just give it a go!

Sincere thanks for your comprehensive response.

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

Sincere thanks for your comments. We have until recently usually cruised twice a year with Celebrity, usually one world wide and then one ‘local’ from Southampton or Europe. Whilst we are finding the world wide cruises on Celebrity getting more expensive it is nothing compared to the rise in our ‘local’ cruise prices! As these are our ‘second holiday’ we just can’t justify...As there are lots of land based alternatives still at a reasonable price that adds to our dilemma.

We were put off MCS a little when we were moored next to one of her big ships in Malta and she was blaring out music last year but if we do want to cruise in the Mediterranean we need to consider some alternatives....I can see us looking for a special offer too! It would be nice to find a relatively cheap short cruise in the Yacht Club and just give it a go!

The Yacht Club occupies the front of the top three decks and you are far removed from any noisy areas. Noise isn’t an issue. This is on the newer ships where the Yacht Club was built into the design.

The YC suites are the smallest suites available and because of the concept, worth every penny (or was before the recent increases due to the popularity).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The Yacht Club occupies the front of the top three decks and you are far removed from any noisy areas. Noise isn’t an issue. This is on the newer ships where the Yacht Club was built into the design.

The YC suites are the smallest suites available and because of the concept, worth every penny (or was before the recent increases due to the popularity).

Why is it every time someone spots a a bargain others are on to it in a flash?!

We are presently browsing a range of options for the spring...I think we may need a significant spreadsheet to compare cruises to other cruises to land based options...

Sincere thanks again...

On 10/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, John Artless said:

Thanks for the replies. Have decided to go with a suite

Now looking forward to our first cruise!

We just cruised in September, and Luminae was wonderful. Both food and service were excellent. We were on the Summit, I hope your experience on the Eclipse is wonderful too.  

Edited by bermadu22
add a thought

On 10/25/2019 at 7:37 PM, George C said:

Suite is definitely the way to go if it is anywhere close to your budget. We did a suite we luminae last year and earlier this year and have one booked for next year. Service and food is great, plus suite lounge also has amazing service and it is a relaxing place serving great drinks from morning till late at night. The only problem is you will never want to book anything else.

Yeah...especially with having most of the front of the ship to yourselves in the Retreat - quite a spacious hangout up there!!!  

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

Agree Chemmo pricing in Europe on Celebrity is ludicrous.  I wish the website had a filter where you could search by lowest price stateroom category "worldwide". Does any clever person know of a quick way of doing this?

On 10/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, George C said:

Thanks for giving your opinion about MSC "Yacht Club"! My DW and I were also considering MSC in the past, but after 4 Cruises in Sky and 1 in Celebrity-Suite we got stuck with Celebrity...loving the Service & Food.

If anyone else has experience with the "Yacht-Club" please share your experinence..

On 10/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, bermadu22 said:

We just cruised in September, and Luminae was wonderful. Both food and service were excellent. We were on the Summit, I hope your experience on the Eclipse is wonderful too.  

Question about men's dress code in Luminae...we live in Sarasota, FLA so the number of "long sleeved"shirts my husband owns is limited.....if they are NICE sport shirts, were men in short sleeved ones.  Even the finest restaurants here would never required long sleeves.....and many do require sport jackets but with a long sleeved shirt as well, it could be unbearable in the humidity. We are looking forward to Luminae (on Equinox )as it has so many great reviews. 

38 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Luminae does not require long sleeve shirts for men. T-Shirts and shorts are not acceptable at dinner but short sleeve shirts, polo shirts, island shirts, etc. are fine.

Agree I almost never wear long sleeve shirts on a cruise.