Cruise Critic Community
Jenner9

Teens...Rules, Spending, Paperwork for a Friend

Hello! We are sailing NCL Escape in February. We will have 2 teens with us. My son who is 14 years and his friend who is 15 years old (his parents are not going). I have a couple of queastions.

1. I know NCL has a permission form for the friend's parents to fill out. Will I need anything elae for him?

2. I plan to sit down with both boys before the cruise to establish rules before we go. What are some good rules for them to follow besides the obvious? They are both really good kids but lets face it...they are teen boys! LOL!

3. I plan to put a spending limit on their cards. How do I do this and can the amount be changed later? 

Thanks!!

Don't enter anyone else's cabin and don't let anyone into your's.

Stay in public areas of the ship. Avoid secluded areas

No climbing/sitting on railings (keep feet on the deck) and notify a crew member if you see anyone do this.  

Set a curfew.  Ours varies according to when the teen club closes or organized activity ends, but there is rarely an excuse for        teens to be out past midnight unless they are with parents.

I have 2 teens boys soon to be 16.  Being a teen boy is no excuse for bad behavior.  My boys spend a lot of time at the sports court and utilize the jogging track.

Make them understand that if they misbehave, the entire party can be put off the ship at the next port.

Set consequences and follow through.  I stayed in the cabin with my daughter, then 11, for an entire day once because she brought a couple of girls into her cabin so they could apply make up in the bathroom.  She's never let anyone in her cabin again.  

Go to guest services and tell them what limit to put on their charging privileges.  You can return later and add more if you wish.  I normally do this the first day and when they run out, that's it.  They need to learn how to budget.  If they run out of funds, there is enough included entertainment and food/drink.

We've never brought any kids other then our own on a ship so can't help you with those details.

Good rules! I didnt think about railings! Excellent rule! 

I don't know what the NCL form is, but to leave the country with someone else's child you need a notarized permission letter signed by both parents to show immigration if asked.  The friend then also needs to bring a certified copy of his birth certificate in order to show his parents are the signers of the notarized letter.  You can also include medical authorization.   

Have a great time!

1 hour ago, Kerry's Girls said:

I don't know what the NCL form is, but to leave the country with someone else's child you need a notarized permission letter signed by both parents to show immigration if asked.  The friend then also needs to bring a certified copy of his birth certificate in order to show his parents are the signers of the notarized letter.  You can also include medical authorization.   

Have a great time!

The NCL form is notarized permission. Ive havent read anything on him needing to bring his birth certificate though. Even if he has a passport?

The birth certificate is a "chain of title" to prove that the people who signed the permission are the parents since passports don't list parents.  In addition to what NCL wants to see, you will also clear U.S. immigration on your return.  

Include permission to sign onboard waivers for activities in the parental permissions that are notarized.

Have a great trip!

I would insist the parents purchase a travel insurance policy.  Also, have a signed letter authorizing you to seek medical treatment.