Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
smilz

Formal nights on Grandeur?

Recommended Posts

How dressed up do the majority of the passengers dress for formal nights on Grandeur? I know you get everything from short shorts to evening gowns but I am trying to decide which dresses to pack. My less dressy things are getting kind of beat and I have a ton of holidayish and weddingish stuff that has barely been worn. But DH wants to fit in with the masses. Sorry.. no explanation for him these days!! Any input will be welcomed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smilz said:

But DH wants to fit in with the masses

Don't wear shorts or a tux, he'll fit right in whatever else he'd wear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smilz said:

How dressed up do the majority of the passengers dress for formal nights on Grandeur? I know you get everything from short shorts to evening gowns but I am trying to decide which dresses to pack. My less dressy things are getting kind of beat and I have a ton of holidayish and weddingish stuff that has barely been worn. But DH wants to fit in with the masses. Sorry.. no explanation for him these days!! Any input will be welcomed!!

 

Since RC no longer enforces dress suggestions, you will see the full range of attire.  Anything goes now, wear whatever you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sailing close to the holidays?  People seem to dress up more around Christmas and New Year.

We always wear tux and cocktail dress on Grandeur.  Some do, some don't; there is a full range.  IMO, you will never be out of place (or alone) if you do dress up, and it makes the occasion more festive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off Grandeur, it has a more traditional (older crowd) who still adhere to "formal" attire. Mostly sport jackets with/without ties and ladies with dresses or gowns. Several tuxedos were worn and on the opposite end of the spectrum, some showed up in shorts, both were in the minority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it is a more traditional crowd.  Having said that. . . there are few tuxedos.  [always a few and they look very nice] More passengers drive to the port in Baltimore, so they do not worry about airline baggage fees.  

 

My DH used to wear a suit most cruises.  Now he goes for a dress shirt and tie of shirt and sports coat.  I think those are the most common for men.  You see a lot of black dresses and black pants with dressy tops for ladies.  Many women still wear cocktail dresses [short and some long].  But Bob, is correct.  Almost anything goes.  . . . I have not personally seen shorts in the MDR on formal night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much! It's true about most people driving. It really is nice to put a full bottle of shampoo etc in my carry on! We are sailing in 13 days. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw quite a number of cruisers in tuxedos and evening dresses last May (including us, it’s a great time for photos). But there is some of about every option so do what works for you and yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 5:17 PM, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I agree that it is a more traditional crowd.  Having said that. . . there are few tuxedos.  [always a few and they look very nice] More passengers drive to the port in Baltimore, so they do not worry about airline baggage fees.  

 

My DH used to wear a suit most cruises.  Now he goes for a dress shirt and tie of shirt and sports coat.  I think those are the most common for men.  You see a lot of black dresses and black pants with dressy tops for ladies.  Many women still wear cocktail dresses [short and some long].  But Bob, is correct.  Almost anything goes.  . . . I have not personally seen shorts in the MDR on formal night. 

 

Last April on Grandeur saw a table of 3 men in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps.   Yes, this was on the "formal" night.

 

I am like you DH, I wear a dress shirt, tie and blazer.  Normally just stick with khakis for pants, but do wear dress shoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 11:34 PM, AlohaLivin said:

I saw quite a number of cruisers in tuxedos and evening dresses last May (including us, it’s a great time for photos). But there is some of about every option so do what works for you and yours.

 

Yes, it is a great time for pictures.  But, I agree that anymore you will fit in with almost anything.

 

 

44 minutes ago, SRF said:

 

Last April on Grandeur saw a table of 3 men in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps.   Yes, this was on the "formal" night.

 

It is hard to hide class. :classic_cool:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Grandeur the D's, D+'s and P's have to run the gauntlet through the Schooner Bar where the regulars approve or disapprove their "Formal Apparel" on their way to the freeloaders event in the South Pacific Lounge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over TG, which I feel tends to be a bit dressier, I've seen tuxes and gowns, suits and dresses, shorts and polos and slacks and blouses.  I can honestly say I've only noticed shorts and sandals and other assorted casual wear on the 1st day and long sea days.  That being said... wear what you want.  It's your vacay.  Hope you have a good cruise!  Grandeur is an oldie but a goody.  

Edited by LESLIEKURZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, biomedbob said:

On the Grandeur the D's, D+'s and P's have to run the gauntlet through the Schooner Bar where the regulars approve or disapprove their "Formal Apparel" on their way to the freeloaders event in the South Pacific Lounge.

 

D+ and P can use the Concierge Lounge

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

It is hard to hide class. :classic_cool:  

 

No, it is EASY to hide class, it is VERY hard to hide lack of class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...