Weekend cruise....do it or not

MermaidMommy03

On 10/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, MermaidMommy03 said:

Happy Sunday! Long please bare with me..
       I am hoping to get some opinions on weekend cruises. My husband and I haven’t been on a vacation alone in 12 years. We have 3 kiddos (12, 10, 6) and in the past we haven’t had family close by to babysit, plus my son has multiple medical conditions and we use to be in and out of the hospital. Well my son is doing 💯 better. No hospital stays in 3 years!!!! 
A friend and my dad have offered to babysit the kids so we can get a weekend getaway for my birthday. Up in
Now we could just fly somewhere but I would love to take a solo cruise but I hear horrible things about weekend cruises. 
Here are my options. 
A. 3 day cruise on the Liberty (Friday-Monday) 

Port Canaveral and overnight in Nassau. We have been to Nassau and didn’t really enjoy it But hey kid free we can go back to the ship.. enjoy the pool. Maybe walk to the beach in Nassau. 
This option we have me only miss one day of work and I would only have to worry about school pick up for my youngest for one day as well. We have never been on the Liberty so that would be new. 
B. 4 day on the Elation (Thursday-Monday)

Port Carnaveral, Nassau, Freeport. We have never been to Freeport. We have been on the elation and even though it’s a smaller ship and older it does hold a dear place in our heart. This one I would have to worry about 2 pickup days for my youngest and one drop off day. 
C.Just take a flight somewhere or stay local in Fl? 

thanks 😊 

First ❤️❤️❤️ 3 years hospital free!!! Have a great birthday get-away whatever you decide 🙂Getting away and investing in your marriage helps you be better parents too.  Your friend and dad are very sweet to give you this gift of time.

love cruising 🙂 I've also had some very enjoyable local land trips.  In your situation - for several reasons - I would opt for a local stay.  It would let you maximize your time together, minimize school hassle, no long check-in hassle/muster drill/debarkation/etc.  You already said you don't love Nassau and would likely stay on the ship or walk to the beach so similar could be done on land (pool/beach).  Even before Dorian there wasn't much right at the pier in Freeport, and while ships are sailing (and Freeport can surely use the tourism $) I don't know how enjoyable the excursions would be.

I'm guessing in FL there are several really nice properties within a 3 hour drive (what I consider a reasonable distance for a short getaway).  We've even had some great KOA cabin getaways when our two children were young and we could only get away for a couple days - and were on a budget.  A VRBO or similar along with a nice balance of grocery shopping and delivery (assuming you don't need extra entertainment) could give you some very affordable together and beach time.  Even if you splurge for a full service resort, it will likely be more relaxing.  I personally would stay at least an hour away to really feel like I went somewhere and remove temptation to check-in as often at home.

If your heart is set on a cruise I can see pros to both.  An overnight in Nassau could be a unique experience and offer opportunities a normal stop wouldn't.  Freeport is a new experience on a ship that is special to you.

Hope that helps 🙂 

Cruises to me vs land seem more relxing. Someone is cooking and cleaning for me and I'm not driving and I unpack once. I consider them cheaper as well. The short cruises we have done have been great and I haven't seen any extreme partying at all on them. Whatver you decide I know ou will enjoy it! We have taken care of sick family the last few years so when we can get a break we enjoy it thoroughly. We come back refreshed and able to help out more.