Boarding Zones and Long Beach Terminal?

TiggerLuv2Cruise

We just checked in for the Panorama in January and got the earliest boarding time available, 12:30,  but does anyone know what the "boarding zone" is referring to at Long Beach cruise port? I don't remember seeing that on previous cruises.  It also looks like it says they will only accept your larger luggage from 12:30-1:30 and anyone arriving after 1:30 will need to carry ALL their luggage on themselves.  This could lead to the bulk of the over 4000 passengers arriving between 12:30-1:30 and that sounds like a logistic nightmare to me, but with no experience with the Long Beach terminal, it may be just fine.  Also, we must check out of the Queen Mary by 11am and with no car, not sure what to do between 11-12:30 other than just stand outside the terminal, I hear there are no restaurants near the Queen Mary?

I've never cruised out of Long Beach, but have gone on several cruises when my boarding zone has been assigned once I have completed my online check it.  The boarding zone used to be assigned upon arrival at the terminal, but now the boarding zones are being assigned at online check-in for many cruises.  

Priority passengers board first (weddings, suites, diamonds, platinums, faster to the fun), then they start with boarding zone A1 and go from there.

4 hours ago, GLCM GUY said:

We cruise out of Long Beach all the time and typically they start boarding at 1130 or 1145.  We are on the Panorama in Feb 2020 and it will be interesting to see if there are changes to this routine.

I also cruise out of Long Beach all the time and boarding starts around the same time always. With the newer facilities this should be much easier for those that have to stand in line as they can go inside and wait there. I'm seeing parking as being the bottleneck now with guests being instructed to park at an alternative lot with FREE shuttle to the ship.

A lot of this won't be known, as far as how parking goes, until Panorama actually arrives and starts cruising out of Long Beach. I don't think we've never had a ship this large here before, and I'm unsure how the parking will go, they truly needed to add more levels to the existing parking structure. I will be interested to hear how it goes, we don't go until April on her. 

Edited by Wanna_Cruize

They are in the process of expanding the structure to add another 600 spaces. Construction has been delayed, but they initially hoped to start this year according to the notice of improvement submitted to the city.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, TiggerLuv2Cruise said:

We just checked in for the Panorama in January and got the earliest boarding time available, 12:30,  but does anyone know what the "boarding zone" is referring to at Long Beach cruise port? I don't remember seeing that on previous cruises.  It also looks like it says they will only accept your larger luggage from 12:30-1:30 and anyone arriving after 1:30 will need to carry ALL their luggage on themselves.  This could lead to the bulk of the over 4000 passengers arriving between 12:30-1:30 and that sounds like a logistic nightmare to me, but with no experience with the Long Beach terminal, it may be just fine.  Also, we must check out of the Queen Mary by 11am and with no car, not sure what to do between 11-12:30 other than just stand outside the terminal, I hear there are no restaurants near the Queen Mary?

There are several restaurants on the Queen Mary, even tho you have to be out of your room, doesn't mean you have to leave the ship.

• Like 1

We are on the inaugural Panorama cruise. Our concern is parking. We cruise from Long Beach multiple times a year. Normally when we arrive passengers are getting off and parking is no prob. When we arrive for Panorama, the Imagination & Inspiration will be out to sea. With 2 ships full of passengers already parked, how are we going to fit? I think the majority of us will be sent to the other lot and shuttled back to terminal. Anticipating traffic and chaos.

On a positive note, once on the ship vacation officially begins. The morning drama will be over, a drink in hand, and let the fun begin.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, TiggerLuv2Cruise said:

1230-1P is the Zone. Check in has 30 minute increments so if you would have chosen 1-130P, that would be your boarding zone or group. 

The new terminal really speeds up the boarding process, except when you’re held in queue above the escalators. Since you’re cruising in Jan it shouldn’t be an issue with heat/AC so I wouldn’t worry too much about Panorama pax count. 

We usually arrive by 1015/1030 in LB as if the ship clears sooner than projected, they might board you sooner. 

We’ve arrived at 0930 on past cruises and got a parking spot on the lowest level in the garage for those questioning parking or driving. 

Either way, LB is an easy port to navigate and use. It’s only gotten better since the new terminal opened. Including debarkation and clearing CBP. 

Just an an FYI, so some of you aren’t confused....the times you pick are NOT your boarding times, they are your check in times. As Roscoe stated, they received a zone A01...that will be your boarding zone number.

Platinums and above must still pick a check in time, but can disregard that and arrive at anytime.

The zones will start boarding AFTER wedding parties, Diamonds, Platinums...I’m not sure where suites are in that line up.

Once boarding starts, it goes pretty quickly, unless there is a delay of some kind....it normally starts somewhere between 11-12.

Edited by crzndeb

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Suites board after Platinums. Passengers with FTTF also board before they start boarding zones. 

I knew about the FTTF, but didn’t know how soon it was being offered on the Panorama sailings.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:24 PM, CA_Cruzing said:

1230-1P is the Zone. Check in has 30 minute increments so if you would have chosen 1-130P, that would be your boarding zone or group. 

The new terminal really speeds up the boarding process, except when you’re held in queue above the escalators. Since you’re cruising in Jan it shouldn’t be an issue with heat/AC so I wouldn’t worry too much about Panorama pax count. 

We usually arrive by 1015/1030 in LB as if the ship clears sooner than projected, they might board you sooner. 

We’ve arrived at 0930 on past cruises and got a parking spot on the lowest level in the garage for those questioning parking or driving. 

Either way, LB is an easy port to navigate and use. It’s only gotten better since the new terminal opened. Including debarkation and clearing CBP. 

Panorama is not scheduled to arrive LB until 9:00 AM. Not sure why or when that changed but I was told that is why 1230 is the first group. 

Showing up at 9:30 will be a long wait. 

2 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Panorama is not scheduled to arrive LB until 9:00 AM. Not sure why or when that changed but I was told that is why 1230 is the first group. 

Showing up at 9:30 will be a long wait. 

Yes but if you’re driving to the Port you’re sure to get a parking spot. 

Spend time early or later, you’re still going to spend the time. And it’s nice when you disembark and your car is literally right there. Makes for getting on with your day easier. 

On 11/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, 1city@atime said:

We are on the inaugural Panorama cruise. Our concern is parking. We cruise from Long Beach multiple times a year. Normally when we arrive passengers are getting off and parking is no prob. When we arrive for Panorama, the Imagination & Inspiration will be out to sea. With 2 ships full of passengers already parked, how are we going to fit? I think the majority of us will be sent to the other lot and shuttled back to terminal. Anticipating traffic and chaos.

On a positive note, once on the ship vacation officially begins. The morning drama will be over, a drink in hand, and let the fun begin.

Wow good point, we are on the Panorama the 18th and you are correct on this. We did notice a lot of additional parking to the left of the parking garage on our last cruise. Maybe they will open this up? I think I may leave a bit earlier. This very well may be a mess. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

On 10/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, itchintocruise said:

We are turning Platinum over Christmas on the Panorama and our boarding time is 12:30.

Your BOARDING PASS will say PRIORITY up in the left hand corner and you can disregard any other times on this pass.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:59 PM, 1city@atime said:

We are on the inaugural Panorama cruise. Our concern is parking. We cruise from Long Beach multiple times a year. Normally when we arrive passengers are getting off and parking is no prob. When we arrive for Panorama, the Imagination & Inspiration will be out to sea. With 2 ships full of passengers already parked, how are we going to fit?

The IMAGINATION and INSPIRATION being out to sea has always been the case, even when the SPLENDOR was there. I don't see that affecting the parking. I do think arriving so early that passengers debarking from the previous cruise, not off the ship yet, can affect parking availability.