Jump to content

Who Is VV Targeted To?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, rbt001 said:

...My belief is that VV with attract Gen X and Baby Boomers with disposable income. 

 

It would be surprising if seniors age 68 and older made up more than 15% of the passengers.  These folks are loyalists (top tier in loyalty programs) and would be giving up a considerable amount of perks they are used to on their current line when they sail VV and start at the bottom.  Additionally, VV's inclusive pricing probably raises fares above their price-points, since they prefer discounts and a la carte pricing.  

 

You're probably pretty close in your predictions. However, we are both 68, in the upper tier of both HAL and Celebrity and, like many in 60-and-up group, are financially secure. We are frankly fed up with the piss poor loyalty perks offered especially by HAL. More than you think have moved on or are considering moving to the more inclusive, pricier cruise offerings of Viking, Seabourn and Regent. For those with the right mindset, and love of life, Virgin is a viable option. We've got a Cheeky Corner Suite booked for a B2B in November. Looking forward to your review!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, younglegend said:

Millennials are the largest living generation (overtook Boomers in 2019). To speak about them, their income, their family size in broad swaths is a fruitless exercise. This ship holds 2,800 passengers, there are probably enough high-income, children-less millennials to keep the boat afloat.  That said, I doubt their target is a single age cohort. It is most likely a combination of primary and secondary targets that includes non-cruisers, experienced cruisers who want something different and more modern, couples, and solo travelers. As they expand, they will likely expand their target audience. They've even said so much.

 

-A marketer who is also a millennial.

 

This is the best answer in this thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, younglegend said:

Millennials are the largest living generation (overtook Boomers in 2019). To speak about them, their income, their family size in broad swaths is a fruitless exercise. This ship holds 2,800 passengers, there are probably enough high-income, children-less millennials to keep the boat afloat.  That said, I doubt their target is a single age cohort. It is most likely a combination of primary and secondary targets that includes non-cruisers, experienced cruisers who want something different and more modern, couples, and solo travelers. As they expand, they will likely expand their target audience. They've even said so much.

 

-A marketer who is also a millennial.

 

The “broke millennial” stereotype also overlooks the number of them in STEM fields.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rbt001 said:

I read the article and it explains the correlation between lower birth rates and poor economic conditions.  Another article on the same website notes that Millennial's are "one of the poorest generations in years."  This is attributed to student debt and poor credit.  And both of those reasons are cited in the article you mention as reasons why Millennial's are deferring both marriage and having children.  

 

So...  in very general terms... broke Millennial's don't have kids nor money to take a VV cruise.  And Millennial's who are financial secure more likely have children.

 

Of course there are financially secure Millennial's without children who are candidates for VV.  But readings suggest this is not the norm.

 

 

 

You ignored all the other reasons they aren’t having kids, but ok ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, younglegend said:

Millennials are the largest living generation (overtook Boomers in 2019). To speak about them, their income, their family size in broad swaths is a fruitless exercise. This ship holds 2,800 passengers, there are probably enough high-income, children-less millennials to keep the boat afloat.  That said, I doubt their target is a single age cohort. It is most likely a combination of primary and secondary targets that includes non-cruisers, experienced cruisers who want something different and more modern, couples, and solo travelers. As they expand, they will likely expand their target audience. They've even said so much.

 

-A marketer who is also a millennial.

Yes, I agree with you.  Especially with your doubt that they are targeting a single age cohort.  

 

I started commenting in this thread because it seems many feel VV is targeting Millennial's in particular.  I really do not think they are.  Will there be Millennial's on board?   Yes, of course.  But my guess is there will be Gen X and Baby Boomers.

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

 

You ignored all the other reasons they aren’t having kids, but ok ...

Not really....

 

I still have the article open in another window and here are the bullet point reasons given:

 

  • The Great Recession Happened
  • Having a Kid is expensive
  • Fewer Millennials are getting Married
  • Cultural Expectations are shifting
  • Parenting's a tough job

The first three topics pointed directly to money or a lack of it.  The fourth point notes that many Millennials do prioritize having children, but the trend is smaller families, fewer children in a family, but still having children.

 

Lastly, "parenting's a tough job".... well yes, I guess it is for our precious snowflakes who can't get 3 year old Johnny to stop standing on his chair and making loud outbursts, disrupting surrounding guests trying to enjoy a $75-$100 per person meal in a restaurant.  

 

Perhaps VV is targeting all of us that find this conduct unacceptable, and that's why parents are not permitted to bring their children.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, twodjs said:

You're probably pretty close in your predictions. However, we are both 68, in the upper tier of both HAL and Celebrity and, like many in 60-and-up group, are financially secure. We are frankly fed up with the piss poor loyalty perks offered especially by HAL. More than you think have moved on or are considering moving to the more inclusive, pricier cruise offerings of Viking, Seabourn and Regent. For those with the right mindset, and love of life, Virgin is a viable option. We've got a Cheeky Corner Suite booked for a B2B in November. Looking forward to your review!

 

Would you mind sharing what went into your decision to purchase a Suite?  On the other lines you frequent, do you normally travel in a Suite, or were there other factors that influenced your decision?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rbt001 said:

 

Would you mind sharing what went into your decision to purchase a Suite?  On the other lines you frequent, do you normally travel in a Suite, or were there other factors that influenced your decision?

No problem - we have gradually moved up the ladder - now staying in suites on some lines, just larger cabins on others. We like the extra square footage that the larger cabins provide and also enjoy a decent sized balcony. We are fond of cabins in the back of the ship. So the Cheeky Corner with the "even bigger balcony" seems like a perfect fit - not right under the top public deck where chair scraping can be an issue, and a few decks above the public space below. The included pick-up and delivery before and after the cruise, along with the perks of VIP access to the the top area of the ship and on Bimini are pretty cool. Always appreciative of everyone and of life. I've spoiled my wife and now there's no going back. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twodjs said:

No problem - we have gradually moved up the ladder - now staying in suites on some lines, just larger cabins on others. We like the extra square footage that the larger cabins provide and also enjoy a decent sized balcony. We are fond of cabins in the back of the ship. So the Cheeky Corner with the "even bigger balcony" seems like a perfect fit - not right under the top public deck where chair scraping can be an issue, and a few decks above the public space below. The included pick-up and delivery before and after the cruise, along with the perks of VIP access to the the top area of the ship and on Bimini are pretty cool. Always appreciative of everyone and of life. I've spoiled my wife and now there's no going back. 🙂

Thank you.  As you say, you've grown accustomed to suites.  You did mention the reasons why I selected a suite for my upcoming Sneak-a-Peek cruise:  the perks.  With Elite status on Princess and access to elite level perks on other Carnival brands because of casino activity, it was tough to think about going without on a new line.  I chose a "Seriously Suite" (not sure how it gets that name) over just a Terrace View Room, and I'm counting the days!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rbt001 - ah yes, casino perks...when the Casino manager recognizes us and greets us by name the first day without looking at the name on the machine, and we get free cabin and gambling money offers ... maybe we're spending just a bit too much time there! But we do love those perks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Rbt001 - ah yes, casino perks...when the Casino manager recognizes us and greets us by name the first day without looking at the name on the machine, and we get free cabin and gambling money offers ... maybe we're spending just a bit too much time there! But we do love those perks! 

EXACTLY!  I'll never forget the day in a local casino when a host I had never been introduced, greeted me by name as I was walking by them.  Scary.

 

I'll be sure to share casino details after my March cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rbt001 said:

EXACTLY!  I'll never forget the day in a local casino when a host I had never been introduced, greeted me by name as I was walking by them.  Scary.

 

I'll be sure to share casino details after my March cruise. 

Virgin is working with a 3rd party Casino hosting company to offer comped cruises.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a GenXer married to a Boomer we decided to wait and read some reviews.  I was initially really excited about vv and started following them on Instagram as soon as they were posting.  The marketing is geared towards a hipster crowd and really made me second guess booking with them.  Time will tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kristinp36 said:

As a GenXer married to a Boomer we decided to wait and read some reviews.  I was initially really excited about vv and started following them on Instagram as soon as they were posting.  The marketing is geared towards a hipster crowd and really made me second guess booking with them.  Time will tell.

According to a personal in the travel industry who lives in South Florida and has attended seminars and training with VV just recently, the average age of passengers booked is 47.  At 57, I'm bringing that average up.  While I may choose not to lead the congo line or dance center stage, I sure enjoy watching and clapping to the fun all around with cocktail in hand.... just no avocado toast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...