Jump to content

Roll Call - lacking participation


CRZAHOLIC
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been on 20 Royal cruises and have always joined the Roll Call, usually 9 months or more in advance.  We are saling March of 2020 and I started a Roll Call and it is only us and one other group.  I noticed the one before and after us are the same.  What is happenng?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CRZAHOLIC said:

I have been on 20 Royal cruises and have always joined the Roll Call, usually 9 months or more in advance.  We are saling March of 2020 and I started a Roll Call and it is only us and one other group.  I noticed the one before and after us are the same.  What is happenng?

 

Roll Call threads are getting less and less popular.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might depend on the length of the cruise.  The 9 night Quantum RC for February each have more than 25 signed up, while the 4 nighter cruise before has zero.  More people want Info on Vietnam and the Philippines rather than the usual ports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Personally, I don’t get concept of roll call. Maybe I’m ignorant of how it works or the purpose but it sounds like ‘play date’ for adults. 


Are you thinking of the Roll Call Thread where people talk about the cruise in the months leading up to it, or the Meet-and-Mingle party that is held on board?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:


Are you thinking of the Roll Call Thread where people talk about the cruise in the months leading up to it, or the Meet-and-Mingle party that is held on board?


Sorry. My bad. I’m thinking of the Meet and Mingle. Although my wife joined a roll call a few years ago and 90% of the interaction on that were either, how excited people were or who was going to the meet and mingle. 
I do value good information about ports on the itinerary or transfers to the port but (thanks to CC) the info is elsewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:


Sorry. My bad. I’m thinking of the Meet and Mingle. Although my wife joined a roll call a few years ago and 90% of the interaction on that were either, how excited people were or who was going to the meet and mingle. 
I do value good information about ports on the itinerary or transfers to the port but (thanks to CC) the info is elsewhere. 


I like to book private excursions, and the Roll Call thread is great for finding others to join in the meet the minimum required numbers.

A recent cruise this summer had a lot of solo cruisers (thanks to no single supplement) and we arranged for a bunch of us to link up to dine together at night, or meet up for lunch on sea days, or team up for trivia events, or gather as a group for Cards Against Humanity, etc.  
 

I've also seen Roll Call threads set up cabin crawls so people can see different room categories, Slot Pulls in the casino, bar crawls, etc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On my last 2 cruises the roll call threads did not have big numbers but what was very useful was that members were posting the "better" sales in the cruise planner.  Got the best price I think that I possibly could on the beverage package and also got a few activities booked that I may not normally have all thanks to roll call members posting the info.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

People are creating their own groups on Zuckerberg's site, where they can mention anything they want and send PMs to make arrangements for sharing excursions, etc.  

Roll Call threads here have lost a lot of participation as a result.  

I have recently learned that you are most likely correct.  I am roll call for November Harmony cruise but it has been posted that there is a large group posting and planning activities for this cruise on the site you named.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately brillohead and h2oskibum are dead on. It was mentioned on 2 of my roll calls about the other site. And it seems thats where all the "action" is. 

I'm not pleased about that. One reason is because i rarely go there, so i miss alot. I don't have private message capabilities. And all my stuff is private. 

Not to mention it was advertised on the roll call. I have promised myself after my next 2 cruises I refuse to go to other site

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:


Sorry. My bad. I’m thinking of the Meet and Mingle. Although my wife joined a roll call a few years ago and 90% of the interaction on that were either, how excited people were or who was going to the meet and mingle. 
I do value good information about ports on the itinerary or transfers to the port but (thanks to CC) the info is elsewhere. 

 

Even those are losing popularity, and the fact that RC's web registration is not functional most of the time does not help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:


I think losing the app functionality in a previous upgrade to CC was a big blow. 

 

I agree, that did not help, and even after they added back the app functionality, I don't think CC has recovered.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It completely depends on the itinerary.  My 7 day, March 2020 Vision cruise with stops in 5 ports only has 2 posters and practically no posts..  On the other end of the spectrum, my 14 day May 2021 transpacific Ovation Cruise from Tokyo has 111 pages of posts.  
 

Seems like there’s more participation if there’s fewer ports.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Personally, I don’t get concept of roll call. Maybe I’m ignorant of how it works or the purpose but it sounds like ‘play date’ for adults. 

I think the concept, at least as I use it, is to discuss things specifically related to your cruise- your particular sailing. Sometimes people like to get to know others who are cruising.  Remember that the "roll call" on CC is different than the "meet and mingle" on the ship.  Yes, the M&M is a meeting of those who have been on the roll call.  That's an actual opportunity to meet the people you have been "talking to" all of these weeks, months or years.
Some people will use the roll call to coordinate a group to go on an excursion. I know on my trip on Freedom in 2015, there were several who wanted to go to Nachi Cocum.  They all got together and got a larger shuttle van just for their group.  Maybe there are some people who are fans of a specific sports team that has a big game the night before the cruise departs.  They might decide to get together and have dinner at a restaurant near the port. Maybe people decide to get a shuttle together from the airport.

People have gotten enough interest to have a small group and book a group rate in a hotel knowing there will be 10-20 rooms booked. 
Some people just enjoy chatting and getting to know others.
But like some others have said, lots of people now are starting their own groups on other social media sites.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

It completely depends on the itinerary.  My 7 day, March 2020 Vision cruise with stops in 5 ports only has 2 posters and practically no posts..  On the other end of the spectrum, my 14 day May 2021 transpacific Ovation Cruise from Tokyo has 111 pages of posts.  
 

Seems like there’s more participation if there’s fewer ports.  


I don't think it's about the ports so much as about the demographic of the cruise itself.

Repositioning cruises tend to have lots of "seasoned" cruisers who know about and participate in Roll Calls and all the various activities (M&M, cabin crawl, slot pull, poker run, bar crawl, trivia, etc.). 

Those cruisers are also more likely to know each other from having cruised together before, and so the Roll Call thread becomes a place for them to also just converse in general.  

A standard week-long cruise is going to have a lot more first-time or once-in-a-while cruisers who probably don't even know about Cruise Critic or a Roll Call thread.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our first cruise on Oasis we signed up for Roll Call and Meet and Mingle and it was a bust for us.  Everyone there had cruised way more than we had, were old friends, and all they could do was talk about themselves, how many cruises they had been on, where they were going next, and whatever else they came up with.  There was no greeting to us or anything, it was like we were not even there.  So...last time we signed up for any of that.  Maybe the seasoned cruisers need to be more interested in the newbies.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Our first cruise on Oasis we signed up for Roll Call and Meet and Mingle and it was a bust for us.  Everyone there had cruised way more than we had, were old friends, and all they could do was talk about themselves, how many cruises they had been on, where they were going next, and whatever else they came up with.  There was no greeting to us or anything, it was like we were not even there.  So...last time we signed up for any of that.  Maybe the seasoned cruisers need to be more interested in the newbies.

 

Our M&M experience ran the full gamut from how you described it above (which was either our 1st or 2nd ever cruise) to some M&M where we met some nice friendly people that gave us plenty of cruise/port tips and we'd hang out with occasionally to the opposite extreme of the above where there were some over-zealous participates desperately  wanted to spend every waking second with us (and others). It got to the point where we could actively try to avoid them.   It was not that we were trying to be anti-social, in fact, we often make friends while on vacation but sometime we just want "us" time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's go time.
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...