anyone who is living in the Philippines or has been thank you for your time to help

We will be sailing in January to Vigan ( Salomague ) and Subic Bay both in the Philippines.

So little information on CC and also almost nothing on tripadvisor.

We love to snorkel love nature, love to walk  I found through Google some dive shops but they all say that most reefs close by the cruise terminal are damaged not worth a visit.

I checked Google maps to see where we will anchor, or which cruise port  but there is almost nothing in the neighbourhood and secondly will it be safe ?

Royal Caribbean ( we sail the Spectrum leaving Hong Kong ) has only Subic Bay on their excursion list and 4 excursions which are all 4 extremely expensive (229 pp for a drive in a 4x4 to a hot spring )

will there be vendors when we board the ship, will they accept euros or usd and can we trust them ….

there are no excursions for Vigan at this point so the same question we ask ourselves for this port.

Thank you all for your time to get me some information, anything is much appreciated

from Belgium

Frieda

We expect to visit Salomague on Wednesday and get you some info about what is available, distance and driving time to Vigan, etc.  Probably want to use pesos where possible, can get good exchange rates at local stores, need to have your passport.  The beaches are useless, no waves, rocky.

I live in the Philippines with my wife and have for the last 10 years.  We are about 45 minutes North of Subic but spend a lot of time in Subic. I wish I had better news for you. Subic and Subic Bay does have some good dive sites but most are to deep for snorkeling  only diving and most of Subic is wreck driving. The ship will be docking in the old US Navy Base at Subic Bay it is now a Freeport Zone.  The  United States had two bases here Subic Bay Navy and Clark Air Force about 35 miles to the North East.  The two ports on your trip really do not have good reefs like the ports in the Southern part of the Philippines. If you want to dive to World War II wrecks that can be done in Subic.  

Near the port you will find shopping and a free beaches. All Hands Beach is very near the port.  You also have some reefs but most who dive them say not much on the reefs the main reefs are Canyons Reef, Nabasan Reef and Runway Reef.  The Barges is another dive site in the bay but again between 4 meters (18 feet) and 34 meters (110 feet). These are now covered in marine life but visibility can be a issue. 

Lots of small open boats you can hire to take you swimming or looking around.  If you have other questions let me know.,  Vigan is better know for its history than beaches.

5 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

I live in the Philippines with my wife and have for the last 10 years.  We are about 45 minutes North of Subic but spend a lot of time in Subic. I wish I had better news for you. Subic and Subic Bay does have some good dive sites but most are to deep for snorkeling  only diving and most of Subic is wreck driving. The ship will be docking in the old US Navy Base at Subic Bay it is now a Freeport Zone.  The  United States had two bases here Subic Bay Navy and Clark Air Force about 35 miles to the North East.  The two ports on your trip really do not have good reefs like the ports in the Southern part of the Philippines. If you want to dive to World War II wrecks that can be done in Subic.  

Near the port you will find shopping and a free beaches. All Hands Beach is very near the port.  You also have some reefs but most who dive them say not much on the reefs the main reefs are Canyons Reef, Nabasan Reef and Runway Reef.  The Barges is another dive site in the bay but again between 4 meters (18 feet) and 34 meters (110 feet). These are now covered in marine life but visibility can be a issue. 

Lots of small open boats you can hire to take you swimming or looking around.  If you have other questions let me know.,  Vigan is better know for its history than beaches.

thank you for your time, so it is not good for snorkeling, and because we do not dive anymore we need to find aything else

suppose we take a small boat, would they accept usd or euro ?  I see on the map that there is a some hiking around  Pamulaklakin Forest Trail / El Kabayo Waterfalls, could we do this on our own and if yes, can we rely on taking a cab to and from the forest? if yes communication in English ? payment for the taxi currency ? ( we only have usd and euro ) someone advised us to take the local bus to a village called San Antonio

Vigan : have you been or do you know Poro Island, anything there to see ? Do you think we could wait just now and see when we are there if there are vendors selling a taxi tour or a boat tour ….

Could you give any advise what we should do on those 2 days ?

thanks again for your advise, have a great day :)

13 hours ago, mugtech said:

We expect to visit Salomague on Wednesday and get you some info about what is available, distance and driving time to Vigan, etc.  Probably want to use pesos where possible, can get good exchange rates at local stores, need to have your passport.  The beaches are useless, no waves, rocky.

HI, that would be great looking forward to your reply ( we will not have a car available so we depend on our 2 feet :classic_biggrin: )

On 10/30/2019 at 1:16 AM, fvandewouwer said:

thank you for your time, so it is not good for snorkeling, and because we do not dive anymore we need to find aything else

suppose we take a small boat, would they accept usd or euro ?  I see on the map that there is a some hiking around  Pamulaklakin Forest Trail / El Kabayo Waterfalls, could we do this on our own and if yes, can we rely on taking a cab to and from the forest? if yes communication in English ? payment for the taxi currency ? ( we only have usd and euro ) someone advised us to take the local bus to a village called San Antonio

Vigan : have you been or do you know Poro Island, anything there to see ? Do you think we could wait just now and see when we are there if there are vendors selling a taxi tour or a boat tour ….

Could you give any advise what we should do on those 2 days ?

thanks again for your advise, have a great day :)

The falls are very close to the port. The road runs within about 200 meters of the falls, not really very big in size. You really should use Philippines Pesos here, very easy to get. When you get off the ship will be exchanges, even if the rate is poor you are talking about small amounts of money.  

Maybe consider using Grab  (uber of the Philippines) many cars around and they can take you to the falls or around Subic.