Epic questions!

dfsti

First time cruisers going on the Epic to Caribbean and very excited! We are travelling with 2 kids, aged 10 and I have a couple questions about activities.

- For the water activities, do we need to "sign up" or get wrist bands or anything for them?

- If they do the Splash Academy, will they have a something like Disney does with the bands for tracking and/or sign-in/out

- Specialty Dining - can they get something from the kids menu, then order something ala carte? Like a dessert?

- Is there mini-golf on board? I see pictures but it is not listed on the site? Did I just miss it or mix it up with another ship (had been looking at ALOT of ships lol)

- Is lemonade included when you eat in the MDR or buffets?

Thanks!

Edited by dfsti

The pools and slides are open to everyone. No signup required.

You get a wristband from Splash Academy. It has to be kept on all through the cruise.

I don't see any reason why the kids couldn't mix between the kids menu and a la carte menu.

There is a very small gold thing, but it is not a proper mini golf. More something for kids to mess around at.

You can get lemonade from the machines in the buffet. I believe it is made from some sort of mix, so sometimes is very strong tasting and sometimes very weak.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

You can get lemonade from the machines in the buffet. I believe it is made from some sort of mix, so sometimes is very strong tasting and sometimes very weak.

And, in my opinion, always very awful.  I find water and free iced tea to be better choices. 

• Thanks 1

Thinking of going on the Epic.  Some other questions.

How hard is it to make dinner reservations in the pay restaurants?  Can you just walk in?

Is there enough closet space in a Balcony guarantee cabin?

Speaking of balcony cabins, is it the norm that you can only book a balcony as quarantee?  Seems like that's what I have been seeing.

How crowed would the buffets be on the Epic?

• Like 1

It is easy to make reservations for the pay restaurants, either online or after you board. As for whether you can just walk in, this really depends. On some cruises there has been plenty of availability and on others you struggle to get in anywhere. There is no telling for sure.

One of the things you hear lots of positive comments about with the Epic cabins is the amount of storage space.

We have never booked a guarantee and there has always been lots of availability of non guarantee cabins, so it looks like the cruise you are looking at may be selling well.

the buffet can get busy during peak times. I don’t recall ever not being able to find a seat though.

• Thanks 1

Med or Caribbean cruise.  I think there's a big difference in what to expect.

we were on the Epic in Sept for a Med cruise.  The ship was sold out.  We had reservations for the Cirque Premium seating and Teppanyaki ..... made because we had show reservations after Tepp and it was the only date that worked for us to see Cirque.  Enjoyed both .  Didn't have a res for Cagneys but we tend to dine early ....7:30, so we had no problem getting seated.

The buffet was always busy,  and busier some days than others, but we (4) always found a place to sit.  One morning we chose to sit at La Cucina for some quiet time so that's an option for you.   The juice machine had lemonade, strawberry kiwi and something else .... they were all fine.

p.s.  we were 2 adults in an inside room. Plenty of storage.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CarolRoy said:

Whats available at the Great Outdoor Bar & Grill?  Do they have breakfast there?  

It's basically just an extension of the Buffet. From memory there are some breakfast items there, but it's just as easy to get things from inside and walk back out with it anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

Whats available at the Great Outdoor Bar & Grill?  Do they have breakfast there?  

As PP noted it's like an extension of the buffet ( b'fast, lunch and dinner, ) but fewer options since it's much smaller.   

And different hours ..... we would grab something there when the buffet didn't open until 5pm, or a late snack since they were usually open until 11pm.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, CarolRoy said:

Thinking of going on the Epic.  Some other questions.

How hard is it to make dinner reservations in the pay restaurants?  Can you just walk in?

Is there enough closet space in a Balcony guarantee cabin?

Speaking of balcony cabins, is it the norm that you can only book a balcony as quarantee?  Seems like that's what I have been seeing.

How crowed would the buffets be on the Epic?

On 10/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, dfsti said:

First time cruisers going on the Epic to Caribbean and very excited! We are travelling with 2 kids, aged 10 and I have a couple questions about activities.

- For the water activities, do we need to "sign up" or get wrist bands or anything for them?

- If they do the Splash Academy, will they have a something like Disney does with the bands for tracking and/or sign-in/out

- Specialty Dining - can they get something from the kids menu, then order something ala carte? Like a dessert?

- Is there mini-golf on board? I see pictures but it is not listed on the site? Did I just miss it or mix it up with another ship (had been looking at ALOT of ships lol)

- Is lemonade included when you eat in the MDR or buffets?

Thanks!

Reservations for specialty restaurants are required. Reservations open 120 days prior to departure (130 for suites). Book as close to 120 days out to get your preferred days and times. Walk-in late (9:00) are easier than prime time (when it may not be available). 

All balcony rooms (guarantee or not) are the same. We find the closet sufficient. On the Epic, you will give up additional closet space if you have a connecting room. 

The norm is non-guarantee balcony rooms (unless you are trying to book a last minute room). 

During prime time, the buffet will be crowded. 

No need to sign up for water activities. 

Kids can eat off the kids menu at any restaurant (don't feel compelled to buy anything off the a la carte menu). 

image.thumb.png.b690f93ede1d3c69083ceeedd2eeb919.png

Yes to mini golf. 

Yes, you can get lemonade. 

• Thanks 1

Morning!   I'm wondering about the Adults only Spice H2O.   Do you have to be registered to enjoy this area?  Is it reserved for specific suites?   I thought I read somewhere there was a limited access.   Would that be per day or voyage?    If so, are we able to do something online before boarding?   I'd prefer to  skip the line ups.

Thanks everyone!   There is a wealth of information here

Deb

2 minutes ago, dblws said:

Morning!   I'm wondering about the Adults only Spice H2O.   Do you have to be registered to enjoy this area?  Is it reserved for specific suites?   I thought I read somewhere there was a limited access.   Would that be per day or voyage?    If so, are we able to do something online before boarding?   I'd prefer to  skip the line ups.

Thanks everyone!   There is a wealth of information here

Deb

Spice H2O is open to everyone (subject to age limits.

The restricted area is Posh, which there is a charge for and only limited spaces.