mattress topper

jannray

They will make up your bed with an extra padded comforter...just ask. No more of the foam egg crates as there were sanitary conditions with those old type.

We just returned from 13 nights on Adventure and our bed was extremely cozy & comfortable !!!!

• Like 2

Ashland....were you in a suite?

Royals beds are rock hard unless they have new mattresses on Adventure.  We were planning on bringing our own toppers.  Plan to buy at Walmart and slap a luggage tag on it.  Sleeping on padded comforters is not really comfortable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charmy98 said:

You will not get them on any of the ships now unless you take your own.

When I was on the Anthem earlier this month, we requested extra padding for the bed. We were pleasantly surprised when we were given a MyPillow topper. It was wonderful!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4everAfamily said:

When I was on the Anthem earlier this month, we requested extra padding for the bed. We were pleasantly surprised when we were given a MyPillow topper. It was wonderful!

You were lucky then, on the Harmony when I asked for the egg crate they said they no longer have them because of heath issues, our cabin steward then folded extra bed spreads and put under the sheet. It was still hard but better than nothing. I have since purchased our own roll up bed pads and they are great. We will be using them again on our Symphony cruise.

I gave in and bought Klymit Static V Luxe and OMG they’re the greatest thing ever.  To the OP, we cruise on Liberty often as we live not far from Galveston.  The mattresses are horrible.  As someone noted, they double the mattress pads which does absolutely nothing.  I put the Klymit under the pads and every evening I might have to put one breath in them.  Once they’re in place the room steward just makes the bed up on them.  They roll up easy back into the carry bag they come in and don’t take up much room in my suitcase.  I can’t recommend them enough.  We just got home yesterday from 10 nights on Enchantment.  Same terrible mattresses but we slept good on these.  Got them on Amazon.  

• Like 1

Do the Suites have better (less hard)  mattresses?   It's been years since I cruised on RCI and I  can't remember what the bed was like.   But I  hate the hard mattresses on Carnival (even the Suites on Carnival have hard mattresses).  I take a new mattress topper on each Carnival cruise and leave it behind with the Room Steward on Debarkation Day. 

If the Suite mattresses on RCI (specifically GotS)  are hard,  I guess I'll be bringing a mattress topper on this cruise,  too. 

47 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

I gave in and bought Klymit Static V Luxe and OMG they’re the greatest thing ever.  To the OP, we cruise on Liberty often as we live not far from Galveston.  The mattresses are horrible.  As someone noted, they double the mattress pads which does absolutely nothing.  I put the Klymit under the pads and every evening I might have to put one breath in them.  Once they’re in place the room steward just makes the bed up on them.  They roll up easy back into the carry bag they come in and don’t take up much room in my suitcase.  I can’t recommend them enough.  We just got home yesterday from 10 nights on Enchantment.  Same terrible mattresses but we slept good on these.  Got them on Amazon.  

The room steward inflated  my Klymit and made the bed for me, I had him take it out the night before debarkation last cruise

Just ask and they are happy to do it.

A-

9 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ashland....were you in a suite?

Royals beds are rock hard unless they have new mattresses on Adventure.  We were planning on bringing our own toppers.  Plan to buy at Walmart and slap a luggage tag on it.  Sleeping on padded comforters is not really comfortable.

We were just in JS # 9624 for 13 nights and was surprised at how soft the mattress was (which I prefer). Luckily there was already an extra comforter on the bed so I didn't need to ask. Our 3 nights pre-cruise hotel in Quebec had a pretty comfy mattress but our 3 nights at Hyatt Place in Ft Lauderdale the mattress was pretty hard...we actually missed our cruise bed !!! Crazy...you just never know !!

Royal use to have the most comfortable beds Ive ever slept on.  Now, the number one complaint is they are "hard as a rock" even from people that like a firm mattress.  It never ceases to amaze me at how this company is always looking to "fix" things that arent broke.   They must have got these new mattresses at a blowout special.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Royal use to have the most comfortable beds Ive ever slept on.  Now, the number one complaint is they are "hard as a rock" even from people that like a firm mattress.  It never ceases to amaze me at how this company is always looking to "fix" things that arent broke.   They must have got these new mattresses at a blowout special.   

I read about the rock hard mattresses and I was still really shocked at how hard they really are. We were on the Anthem earlier this month and it honestly felt like I was sleeping on a table. 

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

They will make up your bed with an extra padded comforter...just ask. No more of the foam egg crates as there were sanitary conditions with those old type.

We just returned from 13 nights on Adventure and our bed was extremely cozy & comfortable !!!!

Funny seeing this thread about the egg crates. I just answered a question from someone currently on Liberty (above this thread) about the suite concierges.  They asked about what cabin issues we had and one of them  was the stained egg crate on the bed.    Believe me if you ever saw that you would never want one.

17 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

So, I ran straight to Amazon to see what this was because I had never heard of it. Little too rich for my blood for traveling purposes. 

I will say that we have been lucky with requesting they "pad up our mattress". It isn't like sleeping on our wonderful mattress at home, but it's bearable for 7 nights. Most nights we are just so exhausted that it doesn't take much for us to be out like a light.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:13 PM, jannray said:

Has anyone had success getting an egg crate  type mattress topper on Liberty of the seas lately?  (Balcony room)

We were on the Allure of the Seas the first of the month and there was an egg crate mattress topper on our bed.    We were surprised because we'd never had one on a ship before. 

We were in an Ocean View Balcony.  

We are currently doing a B2B on Symphony for 14 days. I purchased a 1.5” egg crate style mattress topper from Target’s website back in August when they do their “Back to School/College Dorm Room” sales. They delivered it to my house wrapped up in a tight little roll, super-convenient for packing. It was $14.95 plus tax and we plan on leaving it behind when we disembark.

Our room steward was happy enough to put it on the bed for us, and seemed pretty excited by the idea that we would be leaving it behind. I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be a problem for him to get rid of it for us (I didn’t want to create too much extra work for him), but he’s definitely good with us leaving it onboard.

Right now I’m convinced it’s the best 15 bucks we’ve spent so far this cruise. J/S

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

These are the same ones I have purchased. 🙂

4 hours ago, MrsKC08 said:

So, I ran straight to Amazon to see what this was because I had never heard of it. Little too rich for my blood for traveling purposes. 

I will say that we have been lucky with requesting they "pad up our mattress". It isn't like sleeping on our wonderful mattress at home, but it's bearable for 7 nights. Most nights we are just so exhausted that it doesn't take much for us to be out like a light.

Costco runs sales 2-3 times a year on a variety of the Klymit mattresses.

1 hour ago, aring75 said:

We are currently doing a B2B on Symphony for 14 days. I purchased a 1.5” egg crate style mattress topper from Target’s website back in August when they do their “Back to School/College Dorm Room” sales. They delivered it to my house wrapped up in a tight little roll, super-convenient for packing. It was $14.95 plus tax and we plan on leaving it behind when we disembark.

Our room steward was happy enough to put it on the bed for us, and seemed pretty excited by the idea that we would be leaving it behind. I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be a problem for him to get rid of it for us (I didn’t want to create too much extra work for him), but he’s definitely good with us leaving it onboard.

Right now I’m convinced it’s the best 15 bucks we’ve spent so far this cruise. J/S

This is almost exactly what I do every cruise.  Upon meeting my Room Steward on Embarkation Day, I ask if he would please put it on the bed at his earliest convenience.  At that same time, I mention that it was bought new for this cruise and ask if it is OK if I leave it behind when we disembark (asking if it could be put to use elsewhere onboard, and mentioning that it can easily be cut in half with scissors to make two twin size pads:classic_wink:).  Every single time, every single Room Steward has enthusiastically said he will gladly take it for his own bed (and, presumably, have a spare half left over for a crewmate's bed).  It's a WIN-WIN, as far as I'm concerned.

Another slight difference in my method and yours is that I buy my topper several weeks before sailing, open it, lay it out flat, and let it 'fluff up' and 'off gas', so that it will be in optimal condition for the cruise.  Then, I repack it in a vacuum-compressed contractor-sized garbage bag, and strap it with packing tape the night before boarding.:classic_smile: