Cruise Critic Community
MrSilversurf

Flu Jab ?

We're flying out in 3 weeks, so got jab appointment for this Tuesday. Normally we wait till late November. Call me a worry-guts but the prospect of catching a bug in the local supermarket, on the plane or on the boat, can sure spoil the holiday. Luckily neither of have had an adverse reaction in the past. Plus it's one more item ticked off the bucket list. Planning a jab anyone?

Yes, we had our flu jabs this week... never had any reaction, though a friend sometimes seems to.

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Always good to be taking preventative steps to avoid illness when travelling.

Yes, the Government is using local radio to encourage peeps to get the jab. It's free for the over 65s or those in vulnerable groups. I'd probably still buy one if I was under 65, the cost compared to 5 days bed-bound would be minimal.

34 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

Yes, the Government is using local radio to encourage peeps to get the jab. It's free for the over 65s or those in vulnerable groups. I'd probably still buy one if I was under 65, the cost compared to 5 days bed-bound would be minimal.

Exactly, I find that even if I still get ill, it is nowhere near as bad as what those without the jab get.

I only had a reaction on my first jab 2 years ago,only lasted 2 days.The first one is also a pneumonia one.That doesn't require a topup for a while.

I had a bit of a sore arm and developed a slight headache the next day. Some scotch fixed that.

I have been having the flu jab for over 40 years, advised by my doctor as I have asthma. I have it as soon as it becomes available, never had a reaction.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have been having the flu jab for over 40 years, advised by my doctor as I have asthma. I have it as soon as it becomes available, never had a reaction.

Ah, that's good news. I had mine this morning. The nurse said the three strains were, Canadian, Australian and Phuket. She said I should be completely immune in 2 weeks time. We fly out to Marsailles in 10 days to join Costa ship. Hope I haven't left the jab too late 🙂

Paul

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:03 PM, MrSilversurf said:

Ah, that's good news. I had mine this morning. The nurse said the three strains were, Canadian, Australian and Phuket. She said I should be completely immune in 2 weeks time. We fly out to Marsailles in 10 days to join Costa ship. Hope I haven't left the jab too late 🙂

Paul

Yeah,those Aussie ones can be a strain,lol.Hello Mick.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:03 AM, MrSilversurf said:

Paul

Surely the Aussie flu is not a danger, it would be too laid back to make you really sick and would just make you thirsty.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:42 PM, brian1 said:

Yeah,those Aussie ones can be a strain,lol.Hello Mick.

I got it and I will drink to that.

Seriously though, it is worth the jab for the protection it provides which may not be 100% but is certainly better than not getting it.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Seriously though, it is worth the jab for the protection it provides which may not be 100% but is certainly better than not getting it.

Yes, it's day 4 and we're both getting a slight runny nose, otherwise no other symptoms. The chatty nurse was jabbing in Sydney last year for 2 months. I guess she's some sort of global contract nurse.