Cruise Critic Community
on top of the world

Visas, Sun Princess

Can someone please tell me if we need to get our visas before we board the ship. We are going to-- Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia. Princess say we may be denied boarding if we don't have them beforehand. This is getting frustrating now, i don't know what to believe. The site Princess use, the price is extortionate.

Welcome to CC.

I can only say about Vietnam, we did last year and the cruise line supplied the visa (actual called Landing Card) that covered all ports of call there, if you are planning an overnight in Hanoi then another type of visa is required. This visa was also covered by Celebrity, Landing card visa was $6 p.p., overnight was $28.

I would also suggest you post this question on the Princess Board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Also on your cruise rollcall

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=28

This has been discussed many times, just search this forum for Visas Vietnam etc and you will find all the information you need.

Princess will issue visas from the Ship but you will find, unless they have had a change of heart that they charged much much more than the other cruise companies issuing the same visas

OK so here is the information. First you did not say what country you are from which can effect things.  So my reply will be based on US / Canada/ EU  passports. Thailand, and Indonesia are visa free for you,  Vietnam,  and Cambodia you need visas. 

For Vietnam you need to get the visa before the trip, can be done online through the official website for USD$25.00  Princess will issue you a on ship visa for USD$33 to USD$56 dollars per person. You will get a landing card to use while in Vietnam. If you do your own visa you need to give guest services a copy of it. 

For Cambodia the visa fee from the Government is USD$30.00, you can get the visa upon landing in Cambodia, you need to supply a passport size photo to them. If you do not they will add a same extra fee about $5.00.  Princess can also get this Visa for you on the ship but at a added fee. 

Even if you stay on the ship you still need all require visas, because the ship entered the country. We have done these trips many times and for Vietnam I always apply online. But note many agencies are online and not the real government site, they can process these visas but charge you more. Complete information can be found in the Sun Princess Roll Call March 5, 2019 Sydney to Hong Kong. 

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. We are from the uk so have a british passport.

This is the information on Princess cruises

Indonesia Padang Bay, Semarang A visa-free entry stamp will be issued upon the ship's arrival and therefore you are not required to obtain a visa in advance of your cruise; currently there is no fee for guests arriving by cruise ship.
Cambodia Sihanoukville

In transit Guests - For all nationalities, a visa for Cambodia will be issued upon the ship's arrival in Cambodia and therefore you are not required to obtain a Cambodian visa in advance of the cruise. A visa fee of $30 USD will be charged to your onboard account. Visa fee is subject to change. A passport size photo, or a clear copy of the picture page from the guest's passport, is needed along with the fee.

Cruisetour/Joining Guests - A visa is required for entry into Cambodia. Visas may be obtained in advance through the official website or upon arrival at the airport in Cambodia. A passport size photo is needed along with the fee. Passports must be valid for at least six (6) months beyond the date of your visit.

Vietnam Da Nang, Hanoi (from Halong Bay) Ho Chi Minh City (from Phu My), and Nha Trang

For all nationalities, visas will be issued upon the ship's arrival in Vietnam and therefore in transit guests are not required to obtain a visa in advance of the cruise.

Some guests, including UK passport holders, do not require a visa; however, they will be charged £1 per person for a landing card and a £1 per person processing fee. All guests' passports must be valid for at least six months after departing Vietnam and must contain at least one unused page for entry/exit endorsements.

A visa fee of $56 will be automatically charged to each guest's onboard account.

Please note that guests joining the ship in Vietnam MUST obtain a visa in advance of the cruise.

I cannot find anything on Princess about Thailand Visas. I have found this on the British Gov site

Visas

British passport holders arriving by air or land can enter Thailand for 30 days without a visa (a ‘visa exemption’). If you need to stay longer, it’s possible to extend your stay once for up to 30 days. You must apply for the extension before your visa exemption period ends.

Think i will just wait till we get to the ship and hope they will do it all for us.

Thanks for all your comments i really appreciate your help.