Why do so many want to stay at hotels near the cruise port?

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Where I live  we do go to the airport hotel the day before  more so in winter  months  as the traffic  from outside the city can be horrendous  getting to the airport  anytime of the day/night  here

different strokes for different  folks 😉

We have friends who live near Sarnia who do the same with every cruise.  Even if they are on an afternoon flight they go the night before for the reasons you state, even though they are relatively close to Detroit and Toronto.

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We have friends who live near Sarnia who do the same with every cruise.  Even if they are on an afternoon flight they go the night before for the reasons you state, even though they are relatively close to Detroit and Toronto.

yeah try not to panic while sitting on the 401   when an accident happens  & it could take hours to clear  😉

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Given how many cruise ships start and end at Civitavecchia (with thousands of passengers on each), and how few hotels/B&Bs/inns are available, it seems pretty clear that not very many people stay there.

Maybe it depends on how "lots of" in defined. I think that if hundreds of people  decide to stay in Civitavecchia for a night before the cruise it's lots of. 

57 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Also, Civitavecchia is not "so far away" from Rome. It is an hour, give or take. In the large city where I live in the US, most residents are an hour or more away from the airport. And none of them (that I know) leave their homes a day early to stay near the airport when leaving on a trip out of fear of missing the plane....

It takes a little more than an hour with train from where I live to our airport and most people I know prefer to go there the day before their flight. Not necessary out of fear of missing the plane, probably more because it's nice to start the vacation a day early.

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Where I live  we do go to the airport hotel the day before  more so in winter  months  as the traffic  from outside the city can be horrendous  getting to the airport  anytime of the day/night  here

different strokes for different  folks 😉

No winter weather issues from my city -- which generally has similar weather to Rome, btw.  

Wow, though, have to say I am surprised at how many folks go to spend a night at the airport before a flight. Getting to one's city a day before the cruise I understand, but....

At any rate, the point of my comment was that Rome isn't far from the port of Civitavecchia, all things considered. Civitavecchia doesn't have much to offer, and the lukewarm reviews for hotels there do not entice me. Despite having been to Rome more than a dozen times for actual visits, I'd never consider staying in Civitavecchia, even for one night pre-cruise.

Edited by cruisemom42
44 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I cruise out of Sydney, love staying at the Holiday inn directly over the road from the terminal.

get up early, watch my ship arrive, leisurely breakfast, late check out, wander over the road to board, no take, no shuttle, no hassle.

San Diego is a similarly good port - hotels right across street from cruise terminal - plus a lot to see/do in the immediate area for a couple of days before sailing - and to stay one night after returning so you can comfortably get a reasonably timed flight back to the east coast.   All this, of course, is predicated upon your being lucky/fortunate/smart enough to be retired.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Wow, though, have to say I am surprised at how many folks go to spend a night at the airport before a flight. Getting to one's city a day before the cruise I understand, but....

Yes - spending the night at the airport before your flight to cruise port only covers part of the reason for leaving home early, and paying for a hotel room.

41 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Maybe it depends on how "lots of" in defined. I think that if hundreds of people  decide to stay in Civitavecchia for a night before the cruise it's lots of. 

And let's remember that there may only be "lots of" potential hotel guests in Civitavecchia on or around embarkations (which aren't everyday occurrences).

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

yeah try not to panic while sitting on the 401   when an accident happens  & it could take hours to clear  😉

I used to travel frequently on business to Leamington and Windsor via Detroit airport and it was always a bit nerve racking heading back from Leamington over the Windsor bridge and through Customs and then up 94 to the airport.  The trip through Canada to Windsor was fine and very pleasant - it was the rest from there where the panic to which you refer would set in.  

I can honestly say in my recent retirement, the frequent business travel that I did while working is something I do not miss at all!  In my second career since retiring, the travel I do now is far more enjoyable as it is now just for for pleasure and vacation.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

, most residents are an hour or more away from the airport. And none of them (that I know) leave their homes a day early to stay near the airport when leaving on a trip out of fear of missing the plane....

Not really the same thing.  Sleeping in my own bed (for free) vs sleeping in a hotel bed (for $$$) to be closer to the airport, is not the same as sleeping in a hotel (for $$$) that is inconvenient to airport vs sleeping in a hotel bed (for ~the same $$$) that is convenient to the airport.  

E.g. if you live in Palm beach and are taking a cruise out of Miami it makes little sense to book a hotel in Miami for the night before, just drive down that morning.....however, if you live in outside of Florida and are flying to Miami airport it would be stupid to book a hotel in Palm beach for the over night.  Just pick a hotel that is near the airport or the port in Miami.  

15 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Not really the same thing.  Sleeping in my own bed (for free) vs sleeping in a hotel bed (for $$$) to be closer to the airport, is not the same as sleeping in a hotel (for $$$) that is inconvenient to airport vs sleeping in a hotel bed (for ~the same $$$) that is convenient to the airport.  

E.g. if you live in Palm beach and are taking a cruise out of Miami it makes little sense to book a hotel in Miami for the night before, just drive down that morning.....however, if you live in outside of Florida and are flying to Miami airport it would be stupid to book a hotel in Palm beach for the over night.  Just pick a hotel that is near the airport or the port in Miami.  

I think we are talking apples and oranges here.  My point wasn't so much the $$ involved as the location itself.

To give an example of the point I'm trying to make:  Assume you have to stay overnight somewhere before your cruise because you are in a foreign country (e.g., sleeping at home isn't an option); and assume you have a comfort level of a 1-hour distance from the cruise port. Why would you choose to stay somewhere where the hotels are lousy, the food isn't great, and there is nothing to see or do (Civitavecchia) versus staying in one of the world's great cities where there are dozens upon dozens of very good hotels, great restaurants, and world class sites that can't even be numbered (Rome)?

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why would you choose to stay somewhere where the hotels are lousy, the food isn't great, and there is nothing to see or do (Civitavecchia) versus staying in one of the world's great cities where there are dozens upon dozens of very good hotels, great restaurants, and world class sites that can't even be numbered (Rome)?

I should probably do something in Rome during the day and go to Civitavecchia in the afternoon. Why pay much more for a room in Rome and go up early to travel to Civitavecchia? 

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Why pay much more for a room in Rome and go up early to travel to Civitavecchia? 

Why?  Dinner in Rome and a passeggiata after. Evenings are the best time there.

Edited to add:  Also, you don't have to "go up early". I usually spend a full half-day in Rome and eat lunch there before heading to the ship.

Edited by cruisemom42

With potentially thousands of people cruising on a specific day you will have all varieties of travelers with many different preferences on how they like to vacation.  Personally we have done just about every variation over the years and it really depends on how many days we have, departure port, time of year, how we are getting there as well as a number of other things.  As an example we have cruised out of Fort Lauderdale multiple times, we have stayed by the airport about an hour from home and caught an early flight to arrive day of, flown the day before and stayed at a hotel near the airport, flown in a few days early and stayed by the beach, and recently since moving closer have driven and stayed various places along the Florida coast to explore and either driven to port the day of the cruise or night before and stayed close to the port. No right or wrong answer just different options work best at different times.  With cruises becoming more mainstream travel many can only do the cruise and not the extra so an inexpensive hotel close to the port or airport fits the bill.

Edit to add, when traveling overseas from wherever you may live will probably change a lot.  Remember we all don't live in the same place or travel to the same places.

Edited by akcruz
19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why?  Dinner in Rome and a passeggiata after. Evenings are the best time there.

Edited to add:  Also, you don't have to "go up early". I usually spend a full half-day in Rome and eat lunch there before heading to the ship.

I can do that my first evenings in Rome so no need to do it the night before embarkation.

I do have to go up early, for a "normal" time for embarkation before lunch, because I should probably take a train from Termini around 7 am to get some "safety time" for getting to the port before 10 am.    

29 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think we are talking apples and oranges here.  My point wasn't so much the $$ involved as the location itself.

To give an example of the point I'm trying to make:  Assume you have to stay overnight somewhere before your cruise because you are in a foreign country (e.g., sleeping at home isn't an option); and assume you have a comfort level of a 1-hour distance from the cruise port. Why would you choose to stay somewhere where the hotels are lousy, the food isn't great, and there is nothing to see or do (Civitavecchia) versus staying in one of the world's great cities where there are dozens upon dozens of very good hotels, great restaurants, and world class sites that can't even be numbered (Rome)?

If you are only talking about Rome   then I can see your point  but many people like to  go to the port city the day before for various reasons 

It is a personal choice

We head to the airport here  the day before the trip  we also stay in the port city  a day or more before our cruise  ..depending on where & what there is to do & see 

it is  a fluid situation depending on where we are going

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

As to why,  maybe some folks are arriving totally jet lagged and just want to crash near the port.  Or, some folks agonize a lot over missing the cruise ship (road closure, train strike, volcano, etc).    Maybe some just find it more relaxing to be near the ship on embark day.  This is all guesswork on my part to be sure.   

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I do have to go up early, for a "normal" time for embarkation before lunch, because I should probably take a train from Termini around 7 am to get some "safety time" for getting to the port before 10 am.    

You have to be on your ship so early?  What time do you depart? 

Most ships don't leave until 6-7pm.  I can see the point, perhaps, with such an early departure...

Next April we are flying Chicago to Auckland, New Zealand staying 3 days in the CBD to site see before boarding for our B2B.  We disembark in Hawaii and we’ll stay 3 days before flying home.  Never been to any of these ports so we are really excited.

We don't care if we stay near the port.  Last cruise out of Port Everglades we stayed about 15 miles away.  If we want to get to the ship early, we just leave a little early, but we don't really care how early or late we get to the ship.

43 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You have to be on your ship so early?  What time do you depart? 

Most ships don't leave until 6-7pm.  I can see the point, perhaps, with such an early departure...

While leaving at 7 AM would supposedly get someone to the ship no later than 10 AM (including a buffer for a train running late), all sorts of things (overslept, no wake up call, etc) could cause someone to miss that particular train (don't know when the next train would be). Then there are larger issues like a strike (more common than you may realize) or other unforeseen circumstances that could easily wipe out that original buffer and even more time. 

As for still leaving/showing up too early to board: you can sit and read a book 60 miles from the ship or 60 feet from the ship. 

I know which one I'd pick.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While leaving at 7 AM would supposedly get someone to the ship no later than 10 AM (including a buffer for a train running late), all sorts of things (overslept, no wake up call, etc) could cause someone to miss that particular train (don't know when the next train would be). Then there are larger issues like a strike (more common than you may realize) or other unforeseen circumstances that could easily wipe out that original buffer and even more time. 

As for still leaving/showing up too early to board: you can sit and read a book 60 miles from the ship or 60 feet from the ship. 

I know which one I'd pick.

Not sure why you quoted me -- I am not the one who mentioned taking the train at 7am...

At any rate, apparently I am vastly different than most cruisers. I have no desire to get on board the ship early. I look at it as a form of transportation from point A to points B, C, and onward.

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not sure why you quoted me -- I am not the one who mentioned taking the train at 7am...

At any rate, apparently I am vastly different than most cruisers. I have no desire to get on board the ship early. I look at it as a form of transportation from point A to points B, C, and onward.

Quoted you because, from your post,  it appears that you may have assumed they want to board the ship at/around 10 AM (instead of just arrive at the port area) while, actually, they may have plans for a leisurely brunch and walk in Civitavecchia before going to the ship.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, I'm like you.  Although we can embark in Rio at 11 or 12 IIRC we'll likely get there around 3.  We have a special lunch we will have on shore.

There are so many reasons why we (often, not always) book a hotel near the port, if possible.  Particularly in Florida, we have been to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami many, many times, so not all that much we need or want to see.

We usually fly in the day before and often don't arrive until evening.  By that time we just want to get to our hotel and crash, maybe have a late dinner somewhere nearby.  I find it more convenient to be close to the port in the morning for transportation purposes.

If we are going to a new port at a great city, we would certainly plan on spending a few extra days either before or after the cruise if finances and time worked for us.  But sometimes it doesn't.  Not everyone can take unlimited days off work or afford multiple hotel nights.  

Example: have never sailed out of Port Canaveral before.  We are staying in a hotel near the Orlandoairport because we don't get in until 10:30 pm.  It doesn't work for us to go earlier; we are renting a car and spending another week in Florida afterwards though.