Why do so many want to stay at hotels near the cruise port?

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I enjoy "breakfast for dinner" from time to time too 🙂 You might want to double check for your cruise line that they have room service on embarkation day - I think some don't.

Good point.  And thanks for a good post.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Most of our stays are within 30 to 45  minutes of the cruise port and other points of interest. 

Oh well, that's different.  I'm more talking about people who want to open their hotels curtains and see their ship 🙂  I just looked up the cruise port in Rio de Janeiro and it's nowhere near where we would want to be.  But a taxi I'm sure would be within 30-45 minutes.  I can see possibly doing a NYC/Boston to Quebec or some such but other than that I can't see us cruising out of the US.  We've done Caribbean and Alaska (one each) and have no interest in Mexico and no TAs (already did two years ago).  So if we continue to cruise we would be flying to another country and being very port intensive.  And you bet, everyone is entitled to what they want.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Oh well, that's different.  I'm more talking about people who want to open their hotels curtains and see their ship 🙂  I just looked up the cruise port in Rio de Janeiro and it's nowhere near where we would want to be.  But a taxi I'm sure would be within 30-45 minutes.  I can see possibly doing a NYC/Boston to Quebec or some such but other than that I can't see us cruising out of the US.  We've done Caribbean and Alaska (one each) and have no interest in Mexico and no TAs (already did two years ago).  So if we continue to cruise we would be flying to another country and being very port intensive.  And you bet, everyone is entitled to what they want.

That's why we like cruising out of San Juan. Port intensive. But that's not what you asked. You wanted to know " why do so many want to stay at hotels near the cruise port". We'll wait and get our first glimpse of the ship as we are entering the port via taxi. 😎

On 10/31/2019 at 3:33 PM, losfp said:

daresay it's mostly because of wanting to minimise travel and stress on the day of the cruise.  Much more relaxing to stay at a place that's a short drive or cab ride to the port rather than have to worry about traffic or flights etc.

Agreed, unless it is a city we know well, so we can use the local transport or such, we like to stay within a short taxi ride.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:46 AM, GUT2407 said:

What I really don’t get is why anyone else cares if I choose to stay close and board early, or late or stay miles away and travel.

What does it matter to anyone but me.

I totally agree with you on this one. The snide remarks regarding earlier boarders by the couple usual suspects on this thread are bizarre. 

As long as I’ve been on CC, it still amazes what topics people will flame.  🙄

On 10/31/2019 at 12:10 AM, clo said:

I see people asking regularly for this.  Is it because the port city isn't interesting?  If we continue to cruise some of the reason will be because the beginning and ending ports are going to be places that we want to explore.  Or continue to explore.

For me ... it's to make schlepping my luggage to the cruise ship much easier and stress free on boarding day.