Cruise Critic Community
Vampiress88

Easter cruise to canaries on Ventura, school holidays and strictly come dancing

Picking your brains but couple of things 

is there anything special or different about a cruise on easter? Like do they have a special menu or kids club or any activities that weekend?

can anyone tell me about the Canary Islands ports. I know nothing about them apart from it will be nice and warm down there. 

Anything about ventura in particular? We have been only on Azura so I am assuming it’s very very similar as it’s the sister ship

what is the strictly come dancing like? This would have been something we would have avoided if possible but as it will be there anyway we might as well go never know if we would like it. Anyone know how often it runs?

ill be on the same deck as the coffee place. Can I get free hot water from there? I know it’s probably stupid but the last kettle we had we didn’t use which wasn’t that much of a problem cos it was disgusting. Also they didn’t have much choice of biscuits.  Might take my own this time. 

Can you request a different pillow? I like flat ones but I don’t really wanna pack my suitcase with it. The car we will be going down in is the little one. 

Anything you can think of in regards to the kids. Mine will be 4 & 5. They were really good last time but we have a lot more sea days this time. So any hints and tips would he great. 

On Ventura last August kids were able to use the adults only pool aft and there is a paddling pool for little ones there as well. 

Madeira is not great for little ones in my opinion, there is a lido Complexo Balnear do Lido which is really good with cheap admission and fair priced food but you'd need a taxi to get there.

La Palma is easy to DIY if you fancy a beach day.

Tenerife we take our son to Parque Marítimo de Santa Cruz, a lido near the opera house known by the locals as “la piscina” (swimming pool).  It is family friendly and reasonably priced for everything.

Gran Canaria we usually walk to the beach then have lunch in the Plaza de España. There is a cracking toy shop not far from there if you want to treat the kids.

Lanzarote I'd suggest a taxi ride to Rancho Texas (taxi was €23 a few years back). The beach in Arrecife isn't great and the town seems a little run down so I wouldn't recommend just going ashore and catching the shuttle bus without a plan.

Cadiz is good for the beach, especially if you are happy to take a short bus ride to Playa Cortadura which is nicer than the one nearer the port (catch the bus opposite the dock gates).

Lisbon has plenty to do for the kids, Oceanario (aquarium) and the zoo are both favourites for our son and you can get to either on the tube.

We are booked on the same cruise and our children are similar ages (3&4).  We have been on P&O ships the last couple of years at Easter and really enjoyed it.  Kids Club does a few extra things, such as an egg hunt around the ship or an Easter Fete, and children each receive a nice chocolate Easter Egg as a gift.  I think there was a thread on here recently specifically asking about Easter events for kids.  There was also a beautiful display of hand decorated Easter eggs made by the chefs on board each year in one of the public areas.

Ventura and Azura are very similar.  Ventura has a small arcade that Azura doesn't.  Ventura doesn't have the sea screen that Azura does.

I would second DamianG's suggestions above especially for Rancho Texas in Lanzarote (I think P&O do a tour if you don't want to travel independently) and days on the beach in La Palma and Cadiz, as you can just walk there from the ship.

We have just wandered around in Gran Canaria on previous visits as the weather hasn't been great but the beaches look good so hopefully it will be warmer this time.  We found a nice playground on the main beach next to the promenade last year and have also seen sand sculptures there, so plenty of low key entertainment for young children.

We will definitely try the aquarium or zoo in Lisbon this time as have always just explored the city on foot before as we had the double buggy with us.  We will be able to use public transport more easily this time now the children are older we need less stuff.

We want to do the Madeira Toboggan Ride, but not sure if there is a minimum age limit for children.  We have done it pre-kids and it is good fun.

I started a post a while back asking about Strictly cruises and what is on offer and received some really useful replies, hopefully you can search and find it.

Our children like kids club, the pool and perhaps a movie on sea days.  We find the main dining room much easier to eat in with them for all meals rather than the buffet, as the waiters do everything they can to accommodate us and we don't have the challenge of saving a table whilst taking the little ones up to choose their food.  The kids tea at 5pm in the buffet was handy some days though, if they were going to night nursery for example whilst we had an adults only meal later on.  Freedom dining gave us flexibilty but we usually ate soon after 6pm as a family, with no waiting for a table at this time.  On the nights we ate as a couple later on we often had to take a pager and wait for a table for two.

I'll be following this thread for more ideas!

17 hours ago, annarack said:

We are booked on the same cruise and our children are similar ages (3&4).  We have been on P&O ships the last couple of years at Easter and really enjoyed it.  Kids Club does a few extra things, such as an egg hunt around the ship or an Easter Fete, and children each receive a nice chocolate Easter Egg as a gift.  I think there was a thread on here recently specifically asking about Easter events for kids.  There was also a beautiful display of hand decorated Easter eggs made by the chefs on board each year in one of the public areas.

Ventura and Azura are very similar.  Ventura has a small arcade that Azura doesn't.  Ventura doesn't have the sea screen that Azura does.

I would second DamianG's suggestions above especially for Rancho Texas in Lanzarote (I think P&O do a tour if you don't want to travel independently) and days on the beach in La Palma and Cadiz, as you can just walk there from the ship.

We have just wandered around in Gran Canaria on previous visits as the weather hasn't been great but the beaches look good so hopefully it will be warmer this time.  We found a nice playground on the main beach next to the promenade last year and have also seen sand sculptures there, so plenty of low key entertainment for young children.

We will definitely try the aquarium or zoo in Lisbon this time as have always just explored the city on foot before as we had the double buggy with us.  We will be able to use public transport more easily this time now the children are older we need less stuff.

We want to do the Madeira Toboggan Ride, but not sure if there is a minimum age limit for children.  We have done it pre-kids and it is good fun.

I started a post a while back asking about Strictly cruises and what is on offer and received some really useful replies, hopefully you can search and find it.

Our children like kids club, the pool and perhaps a movie on sea days.  We find the main dining room much easier to eat in with them for all meals rather than the buffet, as the waiters do everything they can to accommodate us and we don't have the challenge of saving a table whilst taking the little ones up to choose their food.  The kids tea at 5pm in the buffet was handy some days though, if they were going to night nursery for example whilst we had an adults only meal later on.  Freedom dining gave us flexibilty but we usually ate soon after 6pm as a family, with no waiting for a table at this time.  On the nights we ate as a couple later on we often had to take a pager and wait for a table for two.

I'll be following this thread for more ideas!

thank you. Your little ones will probably be in the same kids club as my youngest. 

Probably sounds stupid but am going to try and keep costs down as much as possible as we have another holiday 🙈 4 weeks after coming home from this one. 

I agree with the main dinning it was definitely easier than the buffet ones. 

unfortunately wouldn’t be taking them to a zoo since we will be doing that on the next holiday. 

im hoping Easter will be good as they are a little annoyed as easter bunny won’t be able to find us. 

will search for your thread about strictly