Are sweaters needed for night in hot climates?

hockey072

Maybe.

Interior spaces can be chilly.  Also, on deck, in the evening, with the wind.

My SO carries and wears scarves every evening.

Multiple hoodies is overdoing it a bit.

One, or a sweater or scarf, or even heavy shirt should do.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hockey072 said:

Going on my first Mexican cruise in a few days, I'm just curious how cold it gets at night on the ship. Is it necessary to pack multiple hoodies or am I just over packing? 

Yes, you're over-packing :classic_tongue:

But the aircon on ships is often too cool, esp. in dining rooms.

So something like a sweater or pashmina. As the evening wears on the number of folk in the dining room tends to warm the place up.

Yes, out on deck the evenings are cool - but I find that refreshing.

So take something warm, but skip the heavy stuff.

Just MHO as always.

JB :classic_smile:

Using Cozumel as the example, November temperatures average 84 degress F in the day and 73 degrees F in the night, so use that as a guide for the outside air.  The AC inside will naturally be cool to accommodate, for instance, 1,000 people in the same room for dinner.  Having something with you to be sure would be good idea, but I would not think you need multiple - that would be over packing IMO. 

I usually cruise the Caribbean and at various times of year. As a rule of thumb, I always pack one light sweater/cardigan that goes with pretty much everything in case the AC gets chilly. I rarely end up needing it, but would rather have and not need than need and not have 🙂 I'd say multiple isn't necessary! Enjoy your cruise. 

22 hours ago, hockey072 said:

Going on my first Mexican cruise in a few days, I'm just curious how cold it gets at night on the ship. Is it necessary to pack multiple hoodies or am I just over packing? 

The interiors of ships are cool/cold. Bring sweaters and/or jackets. It can also be cool on the decks at night.

Edited by cruznjan

On 10/31/2019 at 10:19 PM, hockey072 said:

I tend to feel cold on ships and pack several sweaters even in the Caribbean.

8 hours ago, cruznjan said:

Call me a wimp, then. Some areas of ships are cold.

I've never been cold that I can remember 🙂 We turn our heat down to 50 when we go to bed (in winter) and up to 60 when we get up in the AM!

i am one of those people who gets cold easily. but i can take as much heat as you want. i am a true floridian. when i cruise, i take a hoodie for use inside (even during the day) beause it is often really cold w/ the AC. i pack a lighter nicer sweater for dinner time. they both get a LOT of use. but i am one of those people who is always cold. DH usually wears a hoodie on board (to save space packing it) and will use it occassionaly during the cruise, but not often (usually just at nice at the comedy club or theatre where you are seated . the one time he got a lot of use out of his hoodie was when we cruised to mexico/carribean at the end of january out of tampa. we happened to have a cold spell coming through when we were leaving and it was really chilly even when we were in puerto rico. but that was an unusual cold snap (generally florida will have about 21 days of winter spread out over 3 months).

so in general, a light sweater is usually a good choice. the same one for the whole cruise works fine.

I packed a hoodie just in case and ended up not needing it, but it didn't create any problems since I was able to fit everything I needed for 8 days in a carry-on. Unless you're extremely pressed for space in your luggage, a hoodie won't hurt.

There might be chilly areas on board the ship where the air com is really working well. Also at night on deck, if you are sailing there might be a breeze.

I always have 1 vest and a few scarfs with me. In your case, a hoodie would be fine, but only 1 is enough I think. And depending if you like to eat fancy and a hoodie is not appropriate, one nice sweater is needed.

• 2 weeks later...