Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
LizO830

Six Ships in Port

We will be in St. Thomas on 12/23/19, and there will be 3 ships at Havensight, 2 at Crown Bay, and 1 at Cruz Bay (13,000+ passengers). We've only been to St. Thomas twice before, once for our wedding (so we didn't see any other part of the island) and last December. On our last visit we took the open air bus/taxi to Magens Bay, and we did not enjoy it at all. The beach was insanely crowded, like towel to towel with other people, even at the far end. We like beaches that aren't super crowded, but still have a bar, restaurant, or snack cart & restroom facilities. We're a couple in our 30's (no kids, no mobility issues). We're docking at Crown Bay. Which beach would you recommend in St. Thomas? Or should we go to St. John via taxi/ferry/taxi or book an excursion (not into snorkeling or driving tours)? We were originally thinking we'd do St. John, but the cruise ship "St. John on Your Own" excursion only has 2 hours actually in St. John. This is the only port stop of our cruise where I have no clue what to do. 

How long are you in port?

If you decide to go to STJ go on your own, just hop a taxi to the Red Hook ferry. You will find several threads here on the subject. Note that Trunk Bay is touted by the cruise directors as much as Magens so that beach also gets crowded, especially with a ship in Cruz Bay. Honeymoon Beach on STJ would be a good choice, or Cinnamon Bay. I’m reading you can find food and drinks at HB, and walk over to Salomon Bay for an even quieter beach. But with a ship in Cruz it may make sense to stick to STT...also depends on your time in port...add another ~1.5+ hrs to get to a STJ beach and back...

Round trip transportation from Crown = ~$50/pp. Add an island tour on STJ (again, discussed in other threads) and it’s ~$68/pp.

For a beach with a beach bar and restrooms but no lounges and few if any fellow cruise mates I’d suggest Hull Bay, find a driver to drop you there. Nice beach but not like the East End beaches. If you want a gorgeous beach and/or need lounges I’d recommend Sapphire. That beach can get a bit crowded by the sandy swimming area but you can sit elsewhere. The best choice for a nice beach on a crowded day, IMHO...I would avoid Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, Coki, and Secret Harbor. Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is convenient to Crown and a nice enough beach, but just not the same as the gorgeous Sapphire...

Edited by blue_water

Hull Bay is a good idea.  You may want to prearrange a pick up time with your cab driver.  Most taxis will be hanging out around the more popular beaches. 

What are the times you are in port>