Cruise Critic Community
killsport

Q's for recent Nieuw Amsterdam guests

Hello all,

My parents (late 70s) will be traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam in a few weeks. Does anyone have recent Caribbean dailies (the voyages with St Thomas & San Juan)? How was the entertainment? Were there any lectures / learning on board? Thanks for any insight / advice / feedback!

Pretty sure the N. Amsterdam is just arriving back in Ft Lauderdale. So don't think there will be any current info out there yet.

Is this a seven-day itinerary?  If so, I can almost guarantee that there will be no lectures.  As for learning opportunities, the only available option that I can think of would be the Microsoft classes generally geared to creating travel photos.

Sorry, but I haven't cruised this ship lately, so I can't address entertainment for the World Stage (Main Stage).  I can tell you that all the Signature class ships to which Nieuw Amsterdam belongs has Lincoln Center Stage (classically trained musicians who generally perform two shows), BB King's Blues Club (excellent 6-8 person band with two singers generally who play all types of music from rock to blues), and Billboard Onboard (two pianists who play and sing to tunes from the 60s-90s).  All of these venues provide good entertainment.

There will be a daily schedule which the steward will leave on the bed in the evening during turn-down service.  Tell your parents to look over the schedule and decide what they want to do the next day.  I bring a small bright pink highlight pen to mark activities I don't want to miss.

If the World Stage offers a show entitled "BBC Earth", tell your parents to go.  It's worth the effort and is one of the best ideas HAL has had in recent years.  Hope your parents have a lovely time aboard a wonderful ship.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

Just off the NAM this morning for a great week.  On my cruise there was a very funny comedian named Darrick ( last name cannot remember). He did an early and late show one night.  Then a fairly funny woman comedian another night where she also had an early and late show.  Then the last night of sailing they had both of the comedians do one show at 9:00pm.  Missed that one, so don’t have any comment on it.  There were no big theater production shows, and we miss those.  There were 2 dancer shows, which were not my cup of tea.  I found them a bit disappointing / amateurish so I did not go to their second show that week.  The BB King band is very good and enjoyable.  Billboard is very popular and a lot of people enjoy that with the 2 piano players singing popular songs.  There was a show called “Into the deep” I believe that was shown in the Main theatre, but I missed that show.  I believe it is a film.  They did show 2 movies on two nights in the main theater which were not that great.  I think one was a Recent Spider-Man movie, but we found it boring and left after 20 minutes.  Plus the video quality on the screen was not the best, not sure why... The captain did a great one time question and answer session in the main theater.  Called “Ask the Captain”, which was very interesting. If I can remember anything else, I will post it.  If you have any questions let me know.  I’m sure they will enjoy their cruise!

BTW, there was an O (Oprah) reading thing one day.  Did not go, but I believe it is tied to the Oprah Book Club. And there was an early morning 7:00am Oprah Meditation session one day of the cruise. There were Maj Jong meet ups twice I believe too.  I did not keep the daily schedules, threw them away after that day.  Sooooo much paper comes into the cabin every day, it is hard to keep things straight!  

Tell your parents to down load The Navigator App as you can use your smartphone to see what is going on board without having to carry the paper copy with you all the time.  Very convenient that way!