Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

We are sailing Civitavecchia to Ft. Lauderdale. Here is our frame of reference—elite, have sailed every Celebrity ship at least once.  Last cabin was a Sky Suite on Solstice to Hawaii.  But we normally book regular balcony cabins.  We are Celebrity fans but not exclusively so.  We have an Oceania booked for next year.  We came on the Edge neutral.  Prepared for change, though.  We had been excited to see something new...it had gotten to where coming on a Celebrity ship was like walking into our own home, so familiar had it become. Have read all the love/hate reviews, so I’m adding our initial two cents for those of you who may be out there worrying or wondering about booking.  We DO tend to be glass half full people and consider ourselves incredibly blessed to have the health and money to cruise as often as we do.

Boarding was incredibly efficient.  We had to get the shuttle to the port, which took only a few minutes.  Walked in, no line, (10:45), a staff member was waiting with a scanner thing.  She scanned our boarding passes and away we went.  It took about three minutes.  Onboard, our first impression is that she is dazzling!  Big, wide walkways.  Big, roomy, super quick elevators.  Interesting art.  In spite of reading that seating was uncomfortable we’ve had no problems so far.  But have not yet spent time in Eden; just walked through.

Public bathrooms are just beautiful.  I haven’t found the automatic door switches to be difficult to use.  I like not having to touch handles.  We LOVE the four dining room concept.  We have Select dining and are free to dine in all four.  Be sure you book your times online as soon as you can.  We booked every dining room in rotation at 7:00, and our first one was Normandy last night.  A couple was trying to get seating as we walked up, but they were turned away in a very kind a sympathetic manner by the hostess.  I had the rack of pork and my husband had the beef en croute...and we thought our entrees were equivalent to the meals we had in Luminae.  Both were just perfect, super tender, wonderful flavor.  Bear in mind that this is one meal, but we were very happy.

We ate lunch in the Grand Bistro and it was a little disappointing. I got trout which was overcooked and my husband got the lobster bisque with puff pastry topping...looked good but didn’t deliver.  Dessert was apple tatin with vanilla ice cream, which was great, and floating island for me just to try it...not a fan.  Not the fault of the kitchen, just personal preference.

Lifeboat drill was in the theater for us.  They check you in on an iPad type thing...no more paper lists of cabins.  My downloaded app is working as advertised.  We are 67 and 68 and not the sharpest knives in the technology drawer but we are managing just fine!

We have an infamous infinity cabin and in spite of trepidation, we are okay with it!  Only one day in, so I’ll report more later if I can, but these are our impressions so far....cabin appears roomier than a regular cabin.  Big, king bed is a big plus.  We actually like the half lowered window.  Seated, you look through clear glass with no visual obstruction.   The frosted glass doors are aggravating  to open and shut so we will leave them open the whole trip.  The frosted glass function is lost on us.  With the dark shade lowered at night the cabin is very dark, so great for sleeping.  There is under cabinet lighting in the bathroom which is subtle but enough to light your way once in the bathroom at night.  

For us, there is ample storage space in drawers.  I brought two of those pants hangers that hang five pairs of pants in descending rows and they are helpful because closet space is small.  I also brought wall hooks to hand sunglasses, umbrellas, coats, so would suggest those to keep things organized.

Bathroom is very nice.  Plenty of room, even a big drawer under the sink. No exterior noise during the night, so our cabin, 7164, is near the elevators but quiet.  

Have not seen the Oceanview yet.  There’s a lot to still explore today.  We were going to take the train to Lucca today but fortunately found out that there is ComicCon there this weekend and Lucca is full of thousands of visitors dressed in their costumes.  While that would be fun to see, it also sounds like work, so we are happily dialed back to R and R mode for today and are staying on the ship.

So, in summary, we are fans.  Having a good time.  Enjoying the thrill of new things and not missing the old.  We think Celebrity did a great job with their Revolution!  I’ll try to post more later in the trip as we settle in and live on the ship for the next two weeks.

Joanie

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard and happy to ready your first impressions.    We are also aboard for the 2nd half of a B2B.   It is always nice to compare how others experience the same cruise. 

I have to agree that embarkation was the best we have ever had.   Have fun exploring it takes a couple days to start feeling like you know your way around. 

41 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We have an infamous infinity cabin and in spite of trepidation, we are okay with it!  Only one day in, so I’ll report more later if I can, but these are our impressions so far....cabin appears roomier than a regular cabin.  Big, king bed is a big plus.  We actually like the half lowered window.  Seated, you look through clear glass with no visual obstruction.   The frosted glass doors are aggravating  to open and shut so we will leave them open the whole trip.  The frosted glass function is lost on us.  

Sounds like you've reached the same conclusion as many others, the frosted glass doors are really too cumbersome to open and close on a regular basis.  The result is that instead of a balcony cabin you have a glorified ocean view cabin.

But you do seem like glass-half full people so I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Have a good cruise, I look forward to more observations of the ship and your trip.

• Like 2

..... I also brought wall hooks to hand sunglasses, umbrellas, coats, so would suggest those to keep things organized........

Thanks for posting; I hope you can continue to update us as your cruise continues.  We are on the Edge next September  (frequent cruisers, but first time on the Edge), so all hints and tips are appreciated! As for your wall hooks, are they magnetic or something else?  

Did you download the app before embarking or can we wait until we're onboard (in case we need help setting it up)?  

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise, Lynn

59 minutes ago, JerseyGem said:

..... I also brought wall hooks to hand sunglasses, umbrellas, coats, so would suggest those to keep things organized........

Thanks for posting; I hope you can continue to update us as your cruise continues.  We are on the Edge next September  (frequent cruisers, but first time on the Edge), so all hints and tips are appreciated! As for your wall hooks, are they magnetic or something else?  

Did you download the app before embarking or can we wait until we're onboard (in case we need help setting it up)?  

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise, Lynn

Hi, Lynn, the wall hooks are magnetic.  One hook holds two umbrellas, or my raincoat, my purse...so they are strong.  It takes two to hold my husband’s leather jacket.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787Q54M1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i downloaded the app at home and it was active once on board....at least, that’s when I first checked it.  I like it.  Works well, though I still tend to like to highlight things I’m interested in on the paper copy.

One other tip, though I’m sure most probably have read this in multiple places...if you are like us and have a love/hate relationship with unpacking...love to get it over with, hate to do it.  Take your carry on bag with you on board rather than giving it to the luggage guys.  You can drop it off in the room, then when they clear the cabins, you can hustle along and unpack it while you wait for your bigger suitcase to arrive.  You can’t unpack it, but dropping it off is helpful.  (Prior to this cruise we spent two weeks in italy and four days in Barcelona, so are gone for 33 days).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Welcome aboard and happy to ready your first impressions.    We are also aboard for the 2nd half of a B2B.   It is always nice to compare how others experience the same cruise. 

I have to agree that embarkation was the best we have ever had.   Have fun exploring it takes a couple days to start feeling like you know your way around. 

Hi, Jim, I’ve been following your journey and enjoying it.  I’ll keep an eye out for you, hope we can meet to say hi while on board.

Thanks for posting your first impressions!  Looking forward to what you add later in your cruise.  We have also sailed on all of the current Celebrity ships and are looking forward to our February cruise on the Edge.  We too are branching out and have an Oceania cruise booked next year.  

We embarked Edge for the first time in Civitavecchia end of September... and felt exactly the same!!! Loved the ship, loved the 4 dining room concept and can’t wait to possibly book Apex in 2021. 

We usually book AQ but did not on this cruise. We enjoyed the 4 MDRs so much that we didn’t even miss Blu. Normandie soon became our favorite of the four.

We had a Panoramic Oceanview stateroom. Despite being fans of a balcony we were very happy with the stateroom. Would book it again to keep the price on a reasonable level.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Thanks 1

What a great opening read to this thread. Certainly indicative of what one would expect from seasoned cruisers with a positive attitude and an open mind. We sailed Edge in January of this year, seven nights to Eastern Caribbean. We found her to be regal and proud yet welcoming and comfortable. Her presentation - as you are becoming aware - is very different, both inside and out.

For us, it was different in a good way. She showed us a good time. You have entrusted Edge to your care for several consecutive ocean-going days without a port break. Hopefully she will meet, perhaps even exceed your expectations. One thing for sure, Edge will do her best to earn a positive review at the end of the journey.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hi, Jim, I’ve been following your journey and enjoying it.  I’ll keep an eye out for you, hope we can meet to say hi while on board.

Look forward to it.   I hope you had fun today in Liverno today.    We lucked out and stayed dry all day.

Glad you are enjoying the new ship. The app was my favorite feature on Edge. Fun to operate the TV, lights, window shade, etc. with your iphone from your bed.

Our friend pointed out how handy it is to use the app on sea days (and you have plentry of them on your TransAtlantic!) around 11 a.m. to view the lunch menu in whichever of the main dining rooms are open that day.  Then you can decide what sounds good and where to eat.

It’s also a very useful for finding your way around an unfamiliar ship, with interactive deck plans, from your location. 

I’m not a big Edge fan, but definitely liked the tech features.

Georgia Peach...

Glad you have positive first impressions of EDGE...We are fans as well.

In our IV cabin, we  kept the  glass doors open and turned the veranda chairs around to make a nice littke seating area...even with our bed by balc layout.  Have fun!

Will be following you as well as Jim.  We board 11/15 in Port Ev

• Like 1

New chairs arrived for the...not sure what to call it!  Faux balcony?  Sunroom area?  Anyway.  Smaller. Lighter chairs. I will endeavor to post a photo. They are definitely less bulky. We ran into the cushions for the new chairs as we were trying and succeeding at stuffing our suitcases under the bed. As we shoved the suitcases in one side the cushions popped out the other side.  We played Goldilocks for a bit...,nope, too wide for here; too small for there. Couldn’t figure out what they were for, gave up and stuffed them under the bed. Now the mystery is solved!  🤗 

Finally went to the Oceanview. Love the higher ceiling. Maybe we were extra hungry but the food was better than in the past. Love the hand washing station. Smart!  Love Al Bacio being there. We had a pastry and coffee there for breakfast. 

We are currently in the theater for the first time. Surprisingly intimate for a big theater. Not a pillar or post to be found. 

Appreciate all the nice comments and suggestions. I will investigate the wonders of the app tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

still an Edge fan.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Thanks Joanie for your review. We are sailing her in May and look forward to your insights. Have you used the App to unlock your door?  I find that an interesting feature. 

I used the app to unlock my door. I thought it an unnecessary feature because I always have my SeaPass card with me, until the time I left it on the desk!  Voila!  I was pretty proud of myself to open my door with my phone and not have to visit Guest Services. 😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

New chairs arrived for the...not sure what to call it!  Faux balcony?  Sunroom area?  Anyway.  Smaller. Lighter chairs. I will endeavor to post a photo. They are definitely less bulky. We ran into the cushions for the new chairs as we were trying and succeeding at stuffing our suitcases under the bed. As we shoved the suitcases in one side the cushions popped out the other side.  We played Goldilocks for a bit...,nope, too wide for here; too small for there. Couldn’t figure out what they were for, gave up and stuffed them under the bed. Now the mystery is solved!  🤗 

Finally went to the Oceanview. Love the higher ceiling. Maybe we were extra hungry but the food was better than in the past. Love the hand washing station. Smart!  Love Al Bacio being there. We had a pastry and coffee there for breakfast. 

We are currently in the theater for the first time. Surprisingly intimate for a big theater. Not a pillar or post to be found. 

Appreciate all the nice comments and suggestions. I will investigate the wonders of the app tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

still an Edge fan.....

Happy to hear that you received your new chairs (and table?). Can't wait to see a picture. Enjoying hearing about your first impressions of everything!😊

Enjoy following your journey on Edge.  We will be sailing Edge in June for the first time and love the insight you give to the ship.  Have you ever stayed in Civitavecchia?  We are deciding on whether to arrive the day before and stay in Civitavecchia or take a Celebrity Flight and come in the day of sailing?   Any thoughts?

SI M & M

52 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

New chairs arrived for the...not sure what to call it!  Faux balcony?  Sunroom area?  Anyway.  Smaller. Lighter chairs. I will endeavor to post a photo. They are definitely less bulky.

I hope the smaller chairs are still comfortable for "fluffy" cruisers like me and DH. Crossing fingers they didn't go TOO small.

We were on the Edge in an IV last NYE and your reactions to the ship and cabin are very similar to ours. We loved the IV cabin and also kept the doors open. I liked the extra space it gave with the option to open the window when wanted. We also had the dining room rotation in the same time slot along with various specialty restaurants booked. Looking forward to hearing the rest of your opinions as the  cruise progresses. 

Mary Ann

• Thanks 1

Hello,

nice to meet people like us that are happy to be on a cruise ship and can comment without being hateful. 
This Is a great start love your writing and you comments.

Will be following.

Sea ya

Eric

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do so admire your open mind and positive take on the Edge, we’re lucky to be cruising and I believe we should embrace all experiences. We haven’t yet been on the Edge but are booked on the Apex next May, so your thread is of particular interest. Thank you and please keep the comments coming...😊

• Thanks 1