Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

6 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Ok. Here are the photos of the new chairs and cushions. The one with my hand is me pushing down hard on the cushion. 

Coming up, a photo of my husband sitting on the chair. It is very upright. 

9C98FB30-7FB6-4E0A-B1BD-4C956E2A6B54.jpeg

2A60987F-3AAB-45DE-8C34-EA8AEF2956E0.jpeg

30A6A8AF-E338-426B-85FC-54E8BD94253D.jpeg

0D64C45F-0F1D-4F91-8A28-285C61257405.jpeg

Thanks for the photos of this GeorgiaPeach51. Like the saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words. Is there a place to sit inside the cabin other than the desk chair? Is there a small sofa or a table in the room portion of the cabin?

Thanks all, for your comments, and we will be looking at flights a day or two before.  We have been fortunate to have stayed in Rome on prior cruises, so I'm thinking a stay in Civitacchia would be the way to go.  Can't wait for June to arrive.  

I am enjoying your comments, both positives and negatives. They made me look at my photos, and brought back memories of a fun trip we had with friends in January.

The French door concept of these infinite verandas sounded so nice originally, and looked great in the animated videos. But the reality-version just doesn’t have enough space. People like to put their feet up when they relax on a balcony enjoying sea air in sun or shade, and they don’t want to take turns using the space or have to move furniture to operate the pretty French doors. (Forewarned, we brought along a cheap inflatable footstool.)

E5368439-C6AD-4324-AB2D-C32AF4D59E10.jpeg

B4737131-EEEB-43CC-AEA3-43971468CCF7.jpeg

7 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Celebrity simply needs to go back to the old lounge type chairs  with foot stoops & table before the Edge was built. IMHO.

I completely agree but there just isn’t enough space for them unless the French doors are removed from the stateroom.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

13 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Ok. Here are the photos of the new chairs and cushions. The one with my hand is me pushing down hard on the cushion. 

Coming up, a photo of my husband sitting on the chair. It is very upright. 

9C98FB30-7FB6-4E0A-B1BD-4C956E2A6B54.jpeg

2A60987F-3AAB-45DE-8C34-EA8AEF2956E0.jpeg

30A6A8AF-E338-426B-85FC-54E8BD94253D.jpeg

0D64C45F-0F1D-4F91-8A28-285C61257405.jpeg

Is the balcony smaller than a regular balcony?

Yes, the balcony is smaller than an S Class balcony. Somewhere there is a post about the actual size. Another note is the lower window has a bluish tint to it. We flipped the chairs to face inside the cabin which made the cabin feel larger. 

We are in Palma de Mallorca with beautiful weather.  As Jim noted, she was rocking and rolling last night and for the first time, we were all weaving and staggering around. For the first time in years I was slightly seasick. Just enough to not be interested in what would have been a wonderful dinner in the Cosmopolitan. 

I tasted, though, and can testify that I missed most of what would have been an excellent dinner. We both had the scallop appetizer and the beef tournedos. It was “fancy” night. Saw a few tuxes and long gowns, some suits and sports coats. (Editorial comment coming, just personal opinion....a dismaying IMO number of T-shirt’s in the restaurant.). Not trying to start a debate. 

We went to Eden for drinks last night and while we like the space we didn’t love the drinks. I had something called the Fig which reminded me of cough syrup. 

We have  yet to visit the Magic Carpet. With two days at sea coming up we will be able to explore a little more. 

I heard an adjacent window going up or up or down this morning for the first time. Otherwise, a very quiet room. Our window squeaked a lot yesterday. I think our attendant must have noticed it and done something about it. No squeak today. 

Im sitting in the chair and trying to make friends with it. Several have said to turn it around to the room and that does indeed make the cabin feel more spacious. Someone else also noted that her husband thought it was comfortable. So, there you go!  Everyone has a different caboose!  

Someone also asked about other seating. There is a chair at the vanity area and a chaise type couch that is a little hard for my liking but is nice to lean back and look out to sea. 

I think the ship is fully booked but she is remarkably uncrowded. There is space and plenty of it.  And so many inviting places to curl up with a book. I have a book on my kindle that I have been saving for two months just for this trip. 

So three days in I still love the ship. Although I said having these crummy chairs in the cabin would cause us to not book again I have to equivocate on that. Still hate em. Still think Celebrity let us all down with repeat dumb corrections. But....there’s so much to love that two chairs becomes inconsequential. I think back to our sky suite...didn’t like that pillar at all but it certainly wasn’t a deal breaker. 

On a tour today. Will be back on line as quickly as I can. 

500EC127-5BF4-436F-8465-D9DFB6094A96.jpeg

AD32D5A3-BC91-4DB2-802D-19C0A468A4FE.jpeg

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

Why in the world they went to a narrow, enclosed style that looks terribly uncomfortable is beyond me. These are very unlikely to be usable for me and DH. We'll be asking our room steward to change them out to something else, I'm sure.

Yes I totally agree with you on this point!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I heard an adjacent window going up or up or down this morning for the first time. Otherwise, a very quiet room. Our window squeaked a lot yesterday. I think our attendant must have noticed it and done something about it. No squeak today.

Our window squealed a lot but it came and went, seemed to be dependant on the temperature I guess as the frame expanded.

It also seemed like it was about to give up about half way down then carry on.  Its not great that you have to keep your finger on the button all the way down you had to push really hard and its fairly slow. Maybe our buttons were not very sensitive. We were fine with it but it must be challenging for people with arthritic fingers.

My sister/brother in law are on that cruise also, they had the same dinner as you last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  They also didn't get off yesterday because of the bad weather, my brother in law had surgery just a week ago and he didn't want to chance being on that ferry with high winds and rough seas so they also stood on the ship.  

They were on the Equinox two months ago and are telling me the Edge is very boring in the grey colors...and they said its very crowded, you mentioned it isn't, question, do you find the interior crowded like in Eden and the Centrium?  They also said the Edge is lacking the entertainment that the Equinox had two months ago, said the Edge mostly just has the piano player....I am booked on the Edge this December and hoping there be more lively music....I wonder when you get back to Ft. Lauderdale if the entertainment will be changed to something different?  

They also mentioned the bad rocking of the ship last night, didn't get them sick but they said it was bad and mentioned Magic Carpet is currently closed due to high winds and I know your sailing at this time again.  They also liked the new furniture.  

Glad your husband is feeling better!!

We went to Soller and Valdemossa yesterday. Beautiful to see something in Palma other than stores!  We visited previously and saw the cathedral and walked the town, which we enjoyed. This time was on a tour with I think 20 others to go to the mountains of Valdemossa and the port of Sóller. The driving situation reminded me of Amalfi coast driving. Enjoyed both places. Photos below. 

I apologize that that I forgot to take dinner photos last night. We were back in the Cosmopolitan and the waiter told us that the kitchens for the Cosmo and Cyprus are linked, so we could order one of their specialties if we wanted. We both had the yummy Greek salad. I will probably get it again tonight. The Normandie and Tuscan kitchens are probably similarly linked. Will try to find out. 

A couple we spoke with last night said a ship employee told them the ship is underbooked by 400 passengers. If this is true it may account partially for the ship feeling uncrowded. Today is our first sea day and I will take note of how things feel.  

We had our first time change last night. Yay!  We love gaining sleep going west. We did an eastbound TA and as you lose hours steadily in the crossing we found that it really added up. 

Re entertainment. We are enjoying the Martini Bar. I like the open area with lots of seating but my husband missed the ice bar. There is a great duo, guitar and vocals, Dos Duo. I think they are very talented. Last nights show was Nic Paige. He was fabulous and sang Four Seasons, Les Mis, Michael Buble, and finished with Nessum Dorma. 

Valdemossa

I’m trying to upload photos but it failed. Will try again later. 

60AC3A8F-ADF2-46EE-9D7F-242E8AE4E1C7.jpeg

Were you on the tour with Jim?

Glad you enjoyed the outing.

Good to know about the shared kitchens of Cypress and Cosmo.

Guess this TA  trip did not sell well...perhaps pricing was a factor???

Patiently ( ?) waiting for our turn on Nov 15th.

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Good to know about the shared kitchens of Cypress and Cosmo.

You can have anything from any of the 4 main restaurants in any of them, they're so close. We regularly dined in Cosmopolitan and had Baked Brie from Normandie below, the waiters are happy to do that.

• Like 2

Good to know!

For anyone now on board, I Jim posted the daily. I saw a listing for the Ladies Pamper Party,. It was alot of fun!

"I see they are still having the Ladies Pamper party,,,and in a larger space. It's not my usual thing but I went last time out of curiousity. It was  SRO.....so much fun lots of laughs... and they had really free samples. Of course there was  a sales pitch too but no hard sell!  Gave dh time for early cigar time!"

Edited by hcat

So, on this sea day with everyone on board, you can definitely feel and hear the additional people, but while it is definitely louder and more people in the halls and in Al Bacio, where we are now, it’s still not feeling crowded to me.  Others onboard who are posting may feel differently.  

Internet has improved as the day progressed.  I gave up posting pics this morning, but it’s not nearly as excruciating.  We enjoy slot tournaments and were looking forward to the first one today.  When my husband went to sign us up at 2:30 they had cancelled it due to no one signing up.  This is very different from what we’ve experienced before.  No biggie, but odd.

Eden was closed earlier in the day for a private function.  Not sure what it was or how long it was closed.  We went to Eden for breakfast and I didn’t love it.  The steak, egg white and cheese bagel and fresh fruit sounded good but I couldn’t eat the bagel...it was that preformed “steak”...pressed? The texture was slippery to me, and I didn’t enjoy it.  They also had muesli, and another pressed breakfast sandwich...Cinnamon rolls.  Coffee.  Will investigate more options since we enjoy not fighting our way thru the Oceanview in the mornings.

• Like 2

Here’s something odd. Yesterday the Captain announced that we would pass the Rock of Gibraltar at about 4:45. Time arrives and people are stacked up in Al Bacio and I’m sure at other viewing sites on the starboard side. The time comes and goes. Silence from the deck. After a while we head to the cabin to get ready for dinner. But still watching for the Rock. At about 5:46 ish it appears. The whole time still silence. No announcements. Odd.  Unless we missed it, but we had the tv on. 

One other odd thing...a ship off our starboard side completely dark. Just sitting there, still, between us and the Rock. Only two little twinkly lights on top. We speculated that maybe it was a military ship. 

I’m rethinking what I said about the bars. The Martini Bar is jam packed each night. When I think about the S class ships and all the individual bars then compare to basically Eden and the MB it falls short. Due to the weather the Sunset Bar is not as much of an option. 

I definitely think I might feel differently if I was on this ship in hot weather and there would be advantages.  More people would be outside. The Sunset Bar would be an additional place. More people at the pool with drinks... 

As we meet people I’ve been asking what they think of their IV. In my poll of about 12 couples they are all fans, which surprises me given our debates on CC. I think I would be much less in favor of them in very hot summer weather. I would be much less likely to open the window, which reduces the cabin to an Oceanview.  It has been nice to open the window for fresh air without being blown off our feet on a balcony. 

Last night she was rolling ALL night. Tough sleeping. But maybe others like that motion for sleeping. Rocks them to sleep while it rocks me awake!

Sorry that you missed the Rock.   I had not heard the Captain but kept an eye on the TV.   We passed around 7:00 PM.    In the past I recall that it was lit up but last night it was totally dark.    We could see it's shape in the twilight but wasn't really prominent. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry that you missed the Rock.   I had not heard the Captain but kept an eye on the TV.   We passed around 7:00 PM.    In the past I recall that it was lit up but last night it was totally dark.    We could see it's shape in the twilight but wasn't really prominent. 

Hi!  We did see it. I probably didn’t express it well. We just hung around the window and saw it as the darkness increased. I was just puzzled that the Captain mentioned it earlier in the day and then went silent when we actually got there. 

Im guessing that the difference in the timing announced earlier and the actuality was due to the time zone change. 

We stopped for a few minutes at the future cruise presentation. He touched on the planned differences between Edge and Apex. Basically, very few. Apex will have more single passenger cabins than Edge but he noted that they would be small. Every other thing, including the colors will be the same, except that a few passenger service areas will be swapped, I THINK he mentioned the ilounge area as one. At that point we had to leave. Perhaps others who could stay can weigh in. So those hoping for changes in the IV probably need to give up on that. 

Nick Page did a matinee show today and wow, he is fantastic. What a voice!  

4 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hi!  We did see it. I probably didn’t express it well. We just hung around the window and saw it as the darkness increased. I was just puzzled that the Captain mentioned it earlier in the day and then went silent when we actually got there. 

Im guessing that the difference in the timing announced earlier and the actuality was due to the time zone change. 

In Hawaii... the  night time active  volcano pass by was off over an hr from the announced time...maybe at sea it's just an estimate????

When we were at Gibraltar quite a few yrs ago, there was a wreck just sitting there. We were told funds were needed  to remove it,..hope it is gone by now.

If you have time, can you find out what type of water is on EDGE now for Classic bev package...Is it the gray btls with processed water, or back to spring water which we prefer...Trying to lighten our carry on load!  Thanks