Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

For those that missed the Rock, I took the attached photo from my cabin window in May 2017. It was a partially obstructed cabin, so the photo has been cropped to eradicate the top of a lifeboat.

B25D7275-49F5-40F4-B405-9CDBA31D74EF.jpeg

Thanks!  Nice to see it in daylight!  Appreciate you posting it! 

Two years ago, we were on Reflection when DST ended in the US. The captain didn't apply the time change on the Saturday night, but a large percentage of the passengers did - it was only the second night of the cruise so people were not yet in "I've no idea what day it is" mode. Quite a few of these passengers turned up at breakfast to find out that it had already finished 😉 .

Shortly after 11am ship time (so 10 am in Florida), an announcement was made over the tannoy system apologizing for the confusion and saying that the time would be adjusted that evening. The announcement started with "Good Afternoon,..."

4 hours ago, barbette165 said:

Two years ago, we were on Reflection when DST ended in the US. The captain didn't apply the time change on the Saturday night, but a large percentage of the passengers did - it was only the second night of the cruise so people were not yet in "I've no idea what day it is" mode. Quite a few of these passengers turned up at breakfast to find out that it had already finished 😉 .

Shortly after 11am ship time (so 10 am in Florida), an announcement was made over the tannoy system apologizing for the confusion and saying that the time would be adjusted that evening. The announcement started with "Good Afternoon,..."

Made me laugh!  We are definitely in the no clue what day it is mode!

5 hours ago, hcat said:

In Hawaii... the  night time active  volcano pass by was off over an hr from the announced time...maybe at sea it's just an estimate????

When we were at Gibraltar quite a few yrs ago, there was a wreck just sitting there. We were told funds were needed  to remove it,..hope it is gone by now.

If you have time, can you find out what type of water is on EDGE now for Classic bev package...Is it the gray btls with processed water, or back to spring water which we prefer...Trying to lighten our carry on load!  Thanks

Hcat, I stopped at a bar to check on the water. He said it’s the aluminum can. However I will doublecheck at another one tomorrow since sometimes info varies!

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hcat, I stopped at a bar to check on the water. He said it’s the aluminum can. However I will doublecheck at another one tomorrow since sometimes info varies!

Thanks for checking this out

..someone  else said that it was the gray , same as your info

We  will pass on that.. we think it really tastes bad...ugh!

We will pick up some Fiji water for taking our meds   and  buy some on board ...Evian, perrier etc..

• Like 1

Some photos.  First, the breakfast sandwich I didn’t love in Eden. 

Second is the carbonara in Tuscan, one of their standing entree offers. An unusual carbonara IMO. Very thick noodles, almost like German spatzle but heavier. The sauce was good and it came with a perfectly poached egg on top....a culinary feat I cannot accomplish. Just really heavy. My husband ate half and liked it with his steak. Up till then I wasn’t missing Luminae, but I sure missed it last night!  

Finally, we are in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.  As Jim posted, we were blessed with good fortune weatherwise. We headed on our tour to the volcanic area of Tenerife, which is the whole middle of the island. Due to the altitude we were above the weather, so while it rained below we were in the sun. But it was cold way up there!  

Strongly suggest you tour that area if you come here. It is the world’s third largest caldera in diameter—17 km.  Really amazing. 

We also took, photos of La Laguna, which used to be the capital city. Charming town. But we have just sailed, and internet is crawling with everyone back on line. More later!

2C3F7A3D-9588-48A5-80EE-53E3D96D8F9E.jpeg

DFC04FA2-EE4F-4AC1-A2E7-16FC93B6A47E.jpeg

165DCEDE-9126-46E6-BAA0-A293CC10093F.jpeg

FA0BE6E8-AC2E-47F6-910F-0606B5FFC6BF.jpeg

1D89F0D1-D949-40FB-A51B-D04068D3AFF0.jpeg

BF168940-6A33-483F-89F8-D6A4A4E99E70.jpeg

81B3C985-9FE4-46DE-B776-16819E708192.jpeg

E43CEE7E-9B2B-4DB5-8948-93092D0301FF.jpeg

78293145-5CA6-4B99-B49D-6944A191DB3C.jpeg

999BE549-BAB3-4F8C-96FE-AE170238EA71.jpeg

B484C467-848D-4F07-A398-99D5D3B6E1C1.jpeg

9B6645A7-C156-40E7-8E5F-FCFF931276B4.jpeg

4A144096-E3FA-4348-8C0A-DCD68F34C9D7.jpeg

C8D8EB33-E444-4C97-9076-77561BC48367.jpeg

60BCF450-2E85-40CB-96A9-3B7D7EB3C86D.jpeg

5E694EDF-C058-4882-BD6B-1DB9425DE3E1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlueLobster said:

GeorgiaPeach51, do they still have premium water available, like Evian and Pellegrino?  My wife "lives" on that when we're cruising, and we're on the Edge in a few weeks for the first time.  Love your comments.  Thanks.

Hi, BlueLobster, they DO have Evian and Pellegrino. The Evian is in nice bottles. (See photo). The Barman said the Pellegrino is very small bottles(probably the little green ones) and they always hand out Evian. Your wife should be happy!  

1B6BB1DD-BA71-443B-BC7D-734B69344E9A.jpeg

Our dinners tonight in Cosmopolitan.  Steak for me, duck for my husband. Both good. I ordered the Greek salad from Cyprus. We dine there for the first time tomorrow night. 

We are having a hard time finding a spot in the evening. After dinner we skipped the show, because most are not our thing. We listened to the band in the Central area but there’s a tiny bit of floor masquerading as a dance floor. We wandered into The Club. Empty and disco music. Went to Eden and it was that smell and morgue music.  So, in the cabin at 11. Maybe the Magic Carpet?  We will check it out tomorrow. 

I feel like this ship in warm months and in cool months are probably two different animals. The ways we use and open the IV window.  The lack of Sunset  Bar opportunities. The chances to use the Magic Carpet. We have 7 sea days ahead. Nancy Drew is on it and will report back after investigation. 

BBD09D92-DBF7-45B1-AD60-56591A83AC1F.jpeg

F8E6AF3B-5B9C-4ADA-93AD-A27A644B2B15.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for much for the  diff mdr photos

That Cyprus salad sounds appealing to me and the duck looks good too!

We also never found a real niche at night.. used to get to the theater early for a cocktail & people watching!   Hope to branch out next week,..

Seems we never pass the future cruises area that it it not busy. And we are adding to it. We are booking a sky suite on Silhouette to Southampton next April. Will be interested to see a “revolution-ized” ship vs Edge.  And we have booked, for the first time, a return on QM2, just in Britannia, so we can check out Cunard. We’ve talked to several people on board who tried Cunard and really liked it. My husband doesn’t mind wearing a jacket and loves wearing his tux, so we will see!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20180402_142505.thumb.jpg.2349675651eeaccef8fbc01604479c48.jpg

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Seems we never pass the future cruises area that it it not busy. And we are adding to it. We are booking a sky suite on Silhouette to Southampton next April. Will be interested to see a “revolution-ized” ship vs Edge.  And we have booked, for the first time, a return on QM2, just in Britannia, so we can check out Cunard. We’ve talked to several people on board who tried Cunard and really liked it. My husband doesn’t mind wearing a jacket and loves wearing his tux, so we will see!

I am sure you will love Cunard, just off Queen Victoria and loved it.

Edited by LEESRE

QM2..what a wonderful Ocean Liner!.

It is so solid...great stability.   If we do a crossing it would  certainly be on QM2.  We were on her to Canada in some high seas..but no issues.  

It has an impressive library,  planetarium, great entertainment,  classical music,  very nice bar,  British pub, lovely art  collection and some wonderful social events.  They gave us the suggested dress for each of these and no one seemed confused about.We enjoyed the  dining.... but did not try the buffet.

For a change of pace, the nightclub really was lively into late night.Very cool space.

Staff was a bit more reserved than on X but totally pampered us...

You picked 2 great ships!    ENJOY!

• Like 1

Glad you like the IV cabin... I did but DH did not.... The veranda is only about 32-33 sq ft.... of floor space...much smaller than S class. I think the measurements they use don't factor in the thickness of the walls. They can keep changing chairs... but like rearranging chairs on the Titanic ... it won't make a difference. The area is just too small for two comfortable chairs... and you can forget a footstool or decent size table. Perhaps on later versions they can make the veranda deeper... but would take major redesign to make them wider... too costly... not just in design fees.. but think how much longer the ship would be if every cabin was made 6" wider....  The folding doors really don't serve much purpose... the frosted glass does allow some privacy... if you happen to be changing while in port with a ship next to you...  but to use it... you have to move furniture around... just not practical...   The IV concept seems perfect for your itinerary... easy to sit in your cabin and have a nice view of the scenery as you sail pass... not are important in the Caribbean... where every island kinda looks a like...

I also think they need more bar areas on the Edge class... As noted..when the weather is nice... there are more places to hang out... but when it rains or is cold... MB and Eden are really the only practical places... Perhaps if they added bar service to the cafe that would help... or make the club a bit more bright and inviting. We just looked in briefly and it appeared very dark.  Other than that the ship is very beautiful and crew and food are fabulous. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kearney said:

They can keep changing chairs... but like rearranging chairs on the Titanic ... it won't make a difference.

This gave me a good laugh and is the most succinct summary of the boondoggle that is the IV “balcony” area!  

Made me think of this one...you can put lipstick and a tutu on a pig....but it’s still a pig. You can frost the windows on the doors but they’re still in the way. You can close them if a ship parks alongside so you don’t have to dress in the bathroom, but then they’re back to being in the way. 

I agree with everything you said regarding the structural obstacles to fixing the IV seating area. There was SO much potential for a total WOW. If not for that, I like almost everything else about the cabin. The bed is great. The storage space is great-/the bathroom is very good. Closet is small. I WOULD get another IV but not in hot weather. 

Good time tonight. It was dress up night. Most made an effort. A few long gowns and tuxes and they looked wonderful. My husband wore a suit. We were in Cyprus for the first time and I found it visually more appealing than Cosmopolitan. 

My DH had the sea bass. I had the beef. Both good, as was the Greek salad. Yummy feta on it. 

F0D25814-7FFD-4B25-95B0-7C5422FBD909.jpeg

A7A444F7-7A36-4306-B93B-830F578C0338.jpeg

F1FDFEFE-6535-4CF4-A6D1-FC1615F99A66.jpeg

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51

Hcat and LEESRE, thanks for the info on Cunard!    Very encouraging.  I shared your comments with my husband and he is encouraged!  We have been Celebrity fans for so long that it feels very audacious to suddenly wander over to Cunard and Oceania next year!

BTW, if you are a Bingo fan, unless it pops up in the next 6 days, it is totally missing in action. I don’t miss it, but in case YOU do, I’ll report back if it appears. 🤔

Today was a relaxing day. I hope yours was a good one, too. 

On 11/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hi, BlueLobster, they DO have Evian and Pellegrino. The Evian is in nice bottles. (See photo). The Barman said the Pellegrino is very small bottles(probably the little green ones) and they always hand out Evian. Your wife should be happy!  

1B6BB1DD-BA71-443B-BC7D-734B69344E9A.jpeg

Do you happen to know the price of these?  Thanks