Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

I keep forgetting to post that creme brûlée is no longer on the menu.  I miss it!  It was my go to when nothing else appealed.

Still no bingo, for those of you who enjoy it.  

Talked with a couple last night who primarily do Princess.  They love the IV, but not the ship.  For them it is boring.  Not enough to do and they don’t enjoy the shows as much.  

While I like the four dining room concept a lot, I kind of miss developing some rapport with our waiter and assistant.  In Tuscan we have had the same waiter, Daniel, all three times, but that is not the case in the other dining rooms.  I enjoyed our Luminae waiter so much, the one time we have been in a suite.  Don’t get me wrong...they are all just as good as ever.

i think some of the staff is probably just worn out.  In Luminae on sea days they serve all three meals so they are essentially working from 6:00 a.m. till about 11:00 pm every day. Very tough schedule...and for other venues like al Bacio there is no down time when a lot of passengers leave the ship.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I keep forgetting to post that creme brûlée is no longer on the menu.  I miss it!  It was my go to when nothing else appealed.

Did you ask if it's available anywhere on the ship even though it's not listed? My DH also uses that as his go to dessert many times. I'm wondering whether it's one of those non listed things that appear with a request like the escargot in Blu.

4 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Did you ask if it's available anywhere on the ship even though it's not listed? My DH also uses that as his go to dessert many times. I'm wondering whether it's one of those non listed things that appear with a request like the escargot in Blu.

Luvcrusn that’s a good idea. I’ll ask tonight if I can remember. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I recall a thread some time before our cruise last December that stated Crème Brulee was removed from menus, but it was available every night on Silhouette at that time. The thread created quite a heated discussion about why X would choose to discontinue a dessert so popular with so many passengers that was inexpensive and easy to prepare. I can't find it now. I wonder if it's an Edge thing or if it's disappeared across the fleet. I hope you're happily accommodated when you ask for it.

12 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I recall a thread some time before our cruise last December that stated Crème Brulee was removed from menus, but it was available every night on Silhouette at that time. The thread created quite a heated discussion about why X would choose to discontinue a dessert so popular with so many passengers that was inexpensive and easy to prepare. I can't find it now. I wonder if it's an Edge thing or if it's disappeared across the fleet. I hope you're happily accommodated when you ask for it.

Too bad I love creme brulee. I can only take so much of their cheesecake. 

On 11/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, SI M&M said:

Thanks all, for your comments, and we will be looking at flights a day or two before.  We have been fortunate to have stayed in Rome on prior cruises, so I'm thinking a stay in Civitacchia would be the way to go.  Can't wait for June to arrive.  

We have stayed at the Hotel Traiano  in Civitavecchia, twice before, pre-cruise. Nice clean hotel, excellent staff and a free shuttle to the port on embarkation morning. 

On our Edge sailing in September coming from the UK we had flights and private transfer on the day, all arranged through Celebrity. Went smoothly.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Total bummer about the creme brûlée - that is usually a standard for those of us who are gluten-free. 😞

w - request it 24 hours in advance and most likely you will have it!

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I did ask about the crepe brûlée and the waiter said he could arrange it, mentioning the last night. So I think Bo and others are correct that they will make it happen for you with notice. 

Meanwhile, I had a biscuit crosillant tonight. It was good. Not sure I spelled it right. See below. 

C42BD38B-8E33-4642-BF83-6CBAE0CFD1A5.jpeg

Do you know who the CD will be on  Friday's cruise?

Weather where we live has turned bitter cold an we can't wait to get  on EDGE,.

Thanks so much for keeping up with this thread .... I will not do a live from review but plan a review of the Sunset Veranda and 4 mdr plan...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Dh has always had creme brulee in BLU...even if not on the menu.  Once he asks for it, the waiters bring one every night.

Crime brulee is available if you ask.

My friend been having it every night at any of the 4 MDR on Edge.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

That's really strange.    I have had Creme Bruelee a couple times.    At least in Luminae they have moved it to the anytime menu (which isn't actually published in the app).      I was just looking in the App and it is still showing on the menu for the main dining  rooms and Blu.     Did you happen to ask -   

E1D1C6A8-ADAB-4393-909F-14471DCE875F.thumb.png.0b4f6609984eca628a5adfad8323cd92.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

Well, by golly, I’ve been cheated on creme brûlée!  I plan to rectify that tonight even if it is the next to last night.  What is strange is the waiter’s comment last night that it was in Blu but he could make it happen with advance notice.  Puzzling.  But, at least fans of cb can relax, knowing it is out there somewhere!

2 hours ago, nextariel said:

GeorgiaPeach51 could you tell me which of the 4 restaurants has the most comfortable seating and is the quietest.  We are wait listed for Select, but want to choice one in case we don't get. 

It’s hard to say.  I think they are all appealing.   Cosmopolitan is pink, white, with dark touches; fabulous art nouveau glass displays.  Even the dishes are pale pink.  Very elegant.

most people seem to like Normandie the best...it’s primarily black and white.  All of them are comfortable to me.  The noise depends on where you are seated.  With tables so close together, even a two top is not private.  If you seek less noise try to get a window table.  Those are valuable to me, not for the view (there really isn’t one when we eat at 7.  All you see is dark water).  But it is valuable for the fact that you have only one other table beside you.  Sometimes what I want is a peaceful dinner with my husband, and close tables invite shared conversation. Most evenings we find ourselves talking with adjacent tables.  Sometimes if you have people on both sides who want to talk it can be a fun, but very talkative dinner.  We have met wonderful people and had some great conversations but since you mention a need for quiet, keep that in mind.

so, request a table at the window.  Also, don’t let them place you near a service area, where you will have to contend with dishes clanging not to mention the lack of visual appeal.  Be watchful...they are cleverly hidden behind screens.  We were seated beside one in Tuscan and immediately asked to move, which they did with no fuss.  

I think Tuscan is my least favorite visually but we had very personalized service there from Daniel.  Every restaurant seems to have chair cushions which are great if you are seated at one of the banquette type tables...the kind with a long, cushy bench with a back.

i hope you get Select and can have choices!  Have a great time...it’s hard not to, IMO!