Encore - Live 11/2

TheDougOut

4 minutes ago, threewide said:

Ralph,

See you guys on the 19th!!!

Join us in The Maltings on the 24th to celebrate Robert Burns Birthday with a few toasts and a few "Wee Drams!" I'll be seen about the ship on occasion in my Wallace kilt, so you won't be able to miss me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wallaceralphl said:

Join us in The Maltings on the 24th to celebrate Robert Burns Birthday with a few toasts and a few "Wee Drams!" I'll be seen about the ship on occasion in my Wallace kilt, so you won't be able to miss me.

For sure!

Celebrating my 5-0 on the 20th, our first sea day.  Pub crawl?  Hmm

10 minutes ago, threewide said:

For sure!

Celebrating my 5-0 on the 20th, our first sea day.  Pub crawl?  Hmm

You are on the Roll Call, aren't you? My wife is celebrating her birthday with her first cruise, and she is a champagne drinker... I expect to be spending most of our time between the Cellars and the Mojito bar (since her other favorite is a Cosmo, and I hear the Cosmopolitans are made there by one of the best bartenders in the NCL fleet....). Mayhaps we can all come together for a B-Day bash... Look us up on the NCL app and message us when we're on board?

Doug, I am adding my immense thanks for all your efforts on this and your other Live reports. Having done several live reports myself, I know they can be a PITA, especially if the wifi service is lacking, watching the upload bar as the 3 pictures your uploading fill up so slowly, trying to find decent areas with reception throughout the ship, asking your better half to wait a minute while I get pictures to upload and getting that look back, it goes on and on... so to you and anyone providing reports live, KUDOS!

Also, reading your post about cutting back had me thinking of this and how we will be longing for a Live Doug Review in short order...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wallaceralphl said:

You are on the Roll Call, aren't you? My wife is celebrating her birthday with her first cruise, and she is a champagne drinker... I expect to be spending most of our time between the Cellars and the Mojito bar (since her other favorite is a Cosmo, and I hear the Cosmopolitans are made there by one of the best bartenders in the NCL fleet....). Mayhaps we can all come together for a B-Day bash... Look us up on the NCL app and message us when we're on board?

Yes we are. We have another couple joining us.  They came with us on the Epic last year.  Our friends were on the Bliss last March and said the Mojito bar was incredible!  Great service.  

22 minutes ago, seadog67 said:

Doug, I am adding my immense thanks for all your efforts on this and your other Live reports. Having done several live reports myself, I know they can be a PITA, especially if the wifi service is lacking, watching the upload bar as the 3 pictures your uploading fill up so slowly, trying to find decent areas with reception throughout the ship, asking your better half to wait a minute while I get pictures to upload and getting that look back, it goes on and on... so to you and anyone providing reports live, KUDOS!

Also, reading your post about cutting back had me thinking of this and how we will be longing for a Live Doug Review in short order...

SeaDog

Classic!

23 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

RCL has a caste system and very apparent all the time.

sorry what does that mean?

I think I understand (at least from my perspective).

I've sailed Royal more than a few times.  It seems your "loyalty status" dictates what some other passengers think of you (and in turn, how they treat you).  Not a nice feeling.  

That said, if you can manage to avoid those "status shamers" on board, you'll have a fine time.

• Like 1

I have sailed a lot on RCL and never felt that at all.

Doug many thanks for your review.

i have done a live ish review before but never in so much detail!

I will do another on Dec 1st on the Getaway out of Nola but it won’t be anything like this in its detail.

Cheers

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I think I understand (at least from my perspective).

I've sailed Royal more than a few times.  It seems your "loyalty status" dictates what some other passengers think of you (and in turn, how they treat you).  Not a nice feeling.  

That said, if you can manage to avoid those "status shamers" on board, you'll have a fine time.

It dictates what you can do, where you can go, what you can attend and where you can eat. Where you sit in shows. And special discounts etc.etc

Did not bother me but was VERY apparent on this Pres. Anniv cruise. Lots of complaints from the the lower level people.

Just interesting to observe and hear how people we visited with were pushed out of the way to get to a seat. Last year actual fight in the main theater between the haves and the have nots.

Even the comedians made fun of the class system so it is well known. It is what it is. We travel on 5 cruise lines and this is the most interesting class system of all of them. People we met on the QM2 in July said they would never do a presidents cruise again and others have said that and these people are high level on RCL

We just go with the flow and enjoy all our cruises and meet lots of people at all levels.

Edited by vettprincess
grammar
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, vettprincess said:

It dictates what you can do, where you can go, what you can attend and where you can eat. Where you sit in shows. And special discounts etc.etc

Did not bother me but was VERY apparent on this Pres. Anniv cruise. Lots of complaints from the the lower level people.

Just interesting to observe and hear how people we visited with were pushed out of the way to get to a seat. Last year actual fight in the main theater between the haves and the have nots.

Even the comedians made fun of the class system so it is well known. It is what it is. We travel on 5 cruise lines and this is the most interesting class system of all of them. People we met on the QM2 in July said they would never do a presidents cruise again and others have said that and these people are high level on RCL

We just go with the flow and enjoy all our cruises and meet lots of people at all levels.

Found it the same.  I can remember a couple of particular incidents.  One, I was sitting along the railing of the Two70 bar watching a performance.  I was solo at the time and was rudely told to move by two other passengers because they were Diamond and needed a couch that could seat two.  I had been there for over an hour and 5 minutes before the show was about to start, they tried to muscle their way in because of their “status”.

Another time, on the Allure, my GF and I had an aft cabin very close to the observation area overlooking the Aqua Theater.  It had a small bench, and we spent many nights out there watching the activities.  One particular night, 3 older couples came out to where we were and insisted on us giving up our seats on the bench because they were Diamond status.  We didn’t budge.  The “status shamers” claimed they were going to report us (for what, I’m not quite sure) and have us removed.  We never saw anyone, including them, for the rest of the night.

I have more...involving an older couple with their dog who claimed “special status” whenever they rolled their dog, IN A STROLLER, in an out of restaurants, while we were dining.

Won’t keep me from sailing Royal again.  But, it will keep me from sailing them to achieve “status” perks.

• Like 1

We sailed on the 11/2 cruise and I felt different when a couple thought because they  had platinum plus status they didn’t have to wait in line with the rest of us to get into the theatre.   They raced ahead stating their status got them in sooner than us. Status gloating doesn’t just happen on Rccl and I haven’t experienced it and done 40+ cruises with them. 

Great review as always Doug, thanks so much for taking the time to share.  We will be on the Encore on January 19th celebrating my Dad's 87th birthday.  The Escape is also our favorite ship and I look forward to enjoying the Encore.  Thanks again!

11 hours ago, lostone65 said:

Great review as always Doug, thanks so much for taking the time to share.  We will be on the Encore on January 19th celebrating my Dad's 87th birthday.  The Escape is also our favorite ship and I look forward to enjoying the Encore.  Thanks again!

lostone65,

We’ll see you on here 19th of January.  
Once again, Doug.  Awesome job!!!

• Like 1