Bringing Wine on BoaRD

RoePost

Hello everyone.  Let me start by saying..I really am not a big drinker...not even wine..but I found this fun wine

that is a coconut chardonay and  I thought it would be fun to enjoy on my balcony before dinner....Can anyone

tell me the rules about bringing wine on board.  I understand there is a corkage fee....this doesn't make a lot

of sense to me since my bottle only cost $7.50, and least corkage fee is $15.   Is there always a fee...even

if the wine is only used in your cabin?  Thank you all in advance for your help.  

8 minutes ago, RoePost said:

Hello everyone.  Let me start by saying..I really am not a big drinker...not even wine..but I found this fun wine

that is a coconut chardonay and  I thought it would be fun to enjoy on my balcony before dinner....Can anyone

tell me the rules about bringing wine on board.  I understand there is a corkage fee....this doesn't make a lot

of sense to me since my bottle only cost $7.50, and least corkage fee is $15.   Is there always a fee...even

if the wine is only used in your cabin?  Thank you all in advance for your help.  

Sorry. There is a $15 fee for every 750 ml bottle of wine brought onboard regardless on where it is consumed. 

3 hours ago, RoePost said:

Yes, there is always the fee no matter where you drink it. I actually love NCL's policy and routinely will bring a case onboard and pay the fee.

42 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

Yes, there is always the fee no matter where you drink it. I actually love NCL's policy and routinely will bring a case onboard and pay the fee.

Curious about the details on this.    When you bring a "case"...

• Do you declare it when you board and pay the $15/bottle uncorking fee/bottle then? 
  • Does NCL manage most of the case for dinners and you keep a few bottles in your room?  

tx

1 minute ago, sr71_1 said:

• Do you declare it when you board and pay the $15/bottle uncorking fee/bottle then? 
  • Does NCL manage most of the case for dinners and you keep a few bottles in your room?  

tx

Yes, we declare at the table right after you go through security. The $15 corkage fee per bottle is charged to your onboard account and appears as a charge from the dining room. We keep everything in our possession. If we take to dinner, they serve accordingly. Cabin steward washes the glasses and provides corkscrew.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sr71_1 said:

tx

We had NCL store our wine in a wine refrigerator that was available to us whenever we wanted a bottle (or we could call and have one delivered). 

• Like 1

I have had the once or twice give an unofficial discount like two bottles for one corkage fee for bringing fairly inexpensive wine on board.  $15 on a $15 bottle may seem expensive,  but that way you are drink long something you know you like, and is still more inexpensive than wine by the glass on the ship.

Someone please confirm ....I recall reading on this forum someone noting that there was a surcharge on purchased bottles of wine that was equal to or greater than the $15/bottle uncorking fee - their thinking was that if you were a wine lover it made a lot of sense to bring your own (do you guys agree)  ?   Sorry to hijack the thread 

32 minutes ago, sr71_1 said:

Someone please confirm ....I recall reading on this forum someone noting that there was a surcharge on purchased bottles of wine that was equal to or greater than the $15/bottle uncorking fee - their thinking was that if you were a wine lover it made a lot of sense to bring your own (do you guys agree)  ?   Sorry to hijack the thread 

I don't believe there is any such thing.  At least in all the years I've been around.

16 hours ago, sr71_1 said:

...i think what i was remembering was a 20% gratuity on bottles of wine ... etc....   clearly not = $15/bottle.    Still.... I'll likely bring a few nice bottles for the room.  

tx 

That is actually a good point...20% gratuity could exceed $15 on a decent bottle of wine. In any event, if you want good wine it is definitely best to bring your own.

42 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

That is actually a good point...20% gratuity could exceed $15 on a decent bottle of wine. In any event, if you want good wine it is definitely best to bring your own.

Even with a $7.50 bottle of wine, it would be cheaper to pay the corkage fee than to purchase a bottle of wine on the ship.

21 hours ago, sr71_1 said:

The gratuity on a bottle of wine purchased on the ship is 20 percent.