Cruise Critic Community
friendlyfifer

Star Gazing

We will be on the transatlantic in March from Miami to Barcelona. Mid-Atlantic the stars should be amazing. Does anyone know if a member of the crew takes passengers star gazing on deck?

I've read of some lecturers leading star gazing, Northern Lights searches, etc but not actual crew members. Only ones that would know a little about the stars are the Deck Officers and they are not normally available.

We did Sky’s TA in Spring 2018 and Sea’s TA this past spring and there were no star gazing sessions on either.  We just completed Far East Discovery on Orion and in addition to lectures in the Planetarium, the resident astrologer had telescope sessions whenever sea and weather conditions allowed.  Near the end of the cruise there was one schedule where the Captain had agreed to turn off a number of exterior lights.  We didn’t attend however, I think because it was raining so I don’t know if they actually held it...but I suspect not. 

Thanks Heidi and Clay. I’ll put in a request when I board and hopefully there will be a knowledgeable officer, crew member or lecturer who can lead a star gazing session.

We did the final segment of this year's World Cruise (Durban to Greenwich) and one of the lecturers, a former pilot,  took us on deck for a couple of star-gazing sessions.  Quite interesting as we saw Southern hemisphere constellations, which we'd not seen before.  He used a laser pointer, so everyone knew where to look.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, Heidi13 said:

I've read of some lecturers leading star gazing, Northern Lights searches, etc but not actual crew members. Only ones that would know a little about the stars are the Deck Officers and they are not normally available.

On our Northern Lights cruise, we were told that there is a constant watch by various "crew members" to look for aurora sightings. Whenever there was indeed a sighting, it was announced by the captain. If it occurred during the later evening hours, the notification was done on the room TVs (so had to keep them on all night - made for a bit more light in the room than I cared for and so we threw a blanket over it). 

Edited by OnTheJourney