Classical musicians in Piazza?

CarelessAndConfused

I can't speak for the Royal but all of the other Princess ships I have been on have classical music … usually in the form of a string duet or a string/piano duet … in the piazza multiple times during any given cruise.  Personally I haven't noticed any particular pattern to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Is this something I can expect to see on Princess ships, in particular the Royal?  If so, is it something available just one night per week or every night or ???  Any other comments about the facility or area that it might take place in or seating or whatever else would be very helpful.

There's a great variety of entertainment and musical options on these ships, and the musicians change constantly, but in general, yes, you can probably count on some pretty decent classical music going on somewhere. The on-board ship's newsletter, the Princess Patter, delivered to your cabin every day, will list all such events for the day. 

On a recent trip on the Royal (one of our favorite ships BTW, along with her sister ship the Regal which we'll be boarding is 15 days), we were wow'd by a father and son duet from the Ukraine, father on piano, young son, maybe early/mid 20s, on violin, in Crooners. That's the open bar/lounge on Promenade Deck (deck 7) and one of our favorite spots. These two were truly amazing, in fact the son out-shone his father and got a standing ovation. We don't usually attend musical events, but these two kept us firmly in our seats.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the Royal, she's a beautiful ship.

• Like 1

I can’t speak for the Royal, but seating in the Piazza on most Princess ships is very limited.  The music performances there are rather informal, so people come and go. 

The classical duos/trios I’ve seen have been top notch!

• Like 2

On the Royal there is seating in the Piazza on deck 5. You can also listen on decks 6 and 7 above. Below is a link to some photos. There is live music starting around 4pm each day and all evening in the Piazza, and other lounges such as Crooners, and Wheelhouse Bar. There may also be live music elsewhere. Check out the Princess Patter for times and locations. Musicians move around.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=royal+princess+cruise+ship+photos+inside&fr=mcafee&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi2-prod.belfastlive.co.uk%2Fincoming%2Farticle9257934.ece%2FALTERNATES%2Fs1227b%2FRP_7_DM_13_ATRIUM_1_8473_PR1.jpg#id=0&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi2-prod.belfastlive.co.uk%2Fincoming%2Farticle9257934.ece%2FALTERNATES%2Fs1227b%2FRP_7_DM_13_ATRIUM_1_8473_PR1.jpg&action=click

• Like 2

Don't know about the Royal, but on the Grand we found that it varies by itinerary.  In the Piazza (and other venues) on our Mexico cruises there have been Mariachi groups rather than classical musicians, and on Hawaii cruises they have had the wonderful "Hawaiian Ambassadors" playing, but no classical. Really wish they would keep the destination-themed musicians in addition to, rather than instead of the classical players.

On our recent Alaska cruise they did have Rhapsody, a lively classical trio from Hungary playing classics and "salon music". They were lots of fun - and always had a large crowd!

We are fans of classical and try to seek it out (yes, we do sail HAL for that reason!) but with our other main cruise line Princess it is rather hit-or-miss. Hope you get lucky on the Royal!

Kathy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, knippsel said:

Don't know about the Royal, but on the Grand we found that it varies by itinerary.  In the Piazza (and other venues) on our Mexico cruises there have been Mariachi groups rather than classical musicians, and on Hawaii cruises they have had the wonderful "Hawaiian Ambassadors" playing, but no classical. Really wish they would keep the destination-themed musicians in addition to, rather than instead of the classical players.

On our recent Alaska cruise they did have Rhapsody, a lively classical trio from Hungary playing classics and "salon music". They were lots of fun - and always had a large crowd!

We are fans of classical and try to seek it out (yes, we do sail HAL for that reason!) but with our other main cruise line Princess it is rather hit-or-miss. Hope you get lucky on the Royal!

Kathy

Rhapsody is one of their best!  very interactive performers.  i do miss the classical group on West Coast voyages.  A miked acoustical guitar is not an even exchange.

• Like 1

Last year the Royal had a string trio that liked to play Rachmaninoff, Mendelssohn, and Stravinsky. 

The new thing seems to be a different style of jazz each night in the Wheelhouse, pianist or violinist in Crooners, something in Piazza (classical or local), as well as music nightly by pool & Club Fusion. Casual seating in all areas

One of my favorite performances on my last cruise (Cabo San Lucas Getaway on the Royal) was when the 'house' musicians & 2 singers did an 'impromptu' set in the Piazza. Place was packed. If they announce it get your seat at least 30 minutes early. (I ordered s glass of wine and got hors d'oeuvres from IC)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

The people they have playing in Crooner's (otherwise called the piano bar by a lot of people) run the gamut.  From very talented instrumentalists, to singers/pianist also "the Piano man" type of lounge singer, to "acts" where the person playing the piano has a schtick that they bounce off of the audience creating a comedy effect.

The instrumentalists generally play during the day.  They are very, very good generally speaking but don't have the personality of a piano guy that a lot of people expect.  They play, sometimes take requests, but that's about it.  But their talent is obvious.

Then you have the lounge singers that alternate with the theater shows.   Talented but not enough to carry off an entire bar or theater on their own.

Usually late shows in Crooners … the 8:30 or 9 pm time slots … is carried by a really top knotch "piano guy" type that also has a schtick of some type.  He's either the good natured heart throb that the older ladies gravitate to or he has his own comedy routine that draws them men as well.  Both types are extremely talented and on some cruises they alternative them time in one of the larger bars as well as in Crooners.

Usually these entertainers are male but on our Alaska cruise the late night "lounge singer" was a woman.  She was good but not as exceptional as the man we just saw on the Caribbean Princess.  

Then you usually have at least one acoustic guitarist, usually younger, that plays a mix of current and showtime type selections.  He's the type that is obviously being given a shot to see if he can keep people's attention and/or also plays in the bands that play in other venues during dance parties.

Look, considering I can not sing, dance, or play an instrument to any great degree all of the entertainers are good compared to me, but yes … some of entertainers, especially the musical duets, trios, etc. that are playing classical arrangements are extraordinary in my opinion and should be given more "shine time" in larger venues than in the piazza or in the corner of Crooner's bar on port days.

• Like 1

In September on the Royal Princess, I was walking through the Piazza, one afternoon, when I heard "Clair de Lune."  I sat and listened and led the applause at the end.  I believe the pianists name was Irina Draganova.  She then moved on to something more MOR, and, so, I wandered away and just checked out various venues on the different levels around the Piazza.  She then went to a transcriptions of a Strauss Waltz.  It was familiar, but I could not identify it.  I know it wasn't "On the Beautiful Blue Danube" and it wasn't "Emperor Waltz."  

I have to say, she was a very good pianist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Not enough of the time IMO.  I've seen a lot of duos lately.  It used to be that they'd have quartets.  Celebrity cut it back to trios and now Princess only has duos lately.  I wish they'd bring back a true quartet for an hour or so every night.

Some of this has to do with cabin availability. A duo requires only one cabin, quartet two cabins. I felt the string quartets were really nice, but on our last voyage there was a duo that was also very good.

A note about the OP's ship, the Royal. On this ship much of the live music is in the Piazza. Since Crooner's occupies the same air space as the Piazza, it's either Crooner's or the Piazza one at a time. This leaves the Wheelhouse Bar as an alternative. There may also be some dance sets in the Vista Lounge and maybe some music in Club 6.

22 hours ago, knippsel said:

They're indeed the best!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Rhapsody is one of their best!  very interactive performers.  i do miss the classical group on West Coast voyages.  A miked acoustical guitar is not an even exchange.

They not only take requests, but also know and play anything you requested, and play so well! Enjoy them so much!

21 hours ago, skynight said:

Some of this has to do with cabin availability. A duo requires only one cabin, quartet two cabins. I felt the string quartets were really nice, but on our last voyage there was a duo that was also very good.

A note about the OP's ship, the Royal. On this ship much of the live music is in the Piazza. Since Crooner's occupies the same air space as the Piazza, it's either Crooner's or the Piazza one at a time. This leaves the Wheelhouse Bar as an alternative. There may also be some dance sets in the Vista Lounge and maybe some music in Club 6.

Guess I never thought it that way.  To me, it'd be worth it to pay a little extra on my fare for them to add another cabin for a quartet.  

• Like 2